World of Warcraft's Massive Legion Pre-Patch Hits

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World of Warcraft's Massive Legion Pre-Patch Hits

The massive patch brings better graphics, a new transmogrification system, and many class changes.

Ahead of its August 30 release date, a massive pre-patch for World of Warcraft's Legion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/world%20of%20warcraft%20legion?os=%20world%20of%20warcraft%20legion] expansion pack is being prepped to hit servers this week. The patch brings with it some pretty major changes, including a huge graphical overhaul, a new transmogrification system, and of class all the class changes that have been teased for the expansion.

The best summary is Blizzard's own survival guide, which you can check out in the video above. Here are some of the most major features:

New Transmogrification Collections System
Revamped PvP and Honor System
5 additional levels of graphics presets have been added with 3 above the previous 'Ultra' setting
Numerous class changes for each of the game's classes

You can check out the full notes here [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20151961/legion-pre-expansion-patch-notes-7-18-2016] if you want more info. One important thing to be aware of is that, after this update, you can no longer begin the quest for the Legendary Ring. If you've already started it, you can still complete it, but you'll need to do so before the expansion launches.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20151961/legion-pre-expansion-patch-notes-7-18-2016]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Still one more day to wait for us EU folks.

In the meantime I'll just be sitting here like:

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm going to clean out SO MUCH BANKSPAAAAAAAAACE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh.

(yes I don't give a shit about anything else)

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I still don't know if anything can bring me back to WoW at all. Last I played, my guild (who always kept my in in case I came back) had transferred off or quit with me being the only one on at any given time. Then every day I'd run around my garrison while trade chat droned on never seeing another player. Any dungeon groups involved no chat except to insult people. PvP stopped in the game world, with people so happy for any human interaction that each wave should be cherished.

Basically, WoW as it is now is a simulator designed to make you feel what Ian McKellen was feeling when he broke down and wept in front of a greenscreen while filming the Hobbit movies

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Charli said:
I'm going to clean out SO MUCH BANKSPAAAAAAAAACE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh.

(yes I don't give a shit about anything else)
Same, my bank and void storage is just full of transmog gear.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MCerberus said:
I still don't know if anything can bring me back to WoW at all. Last I played, my guild (who always kept my in in case I came back) had transferred off or quit with me being the only one on at any given time. Then every day I'd run around my garrison while trade chat droned on never seeing another player. Any dungeon groups involved no chat except to insult people. PvP stopped in the game world, with people so happy for any human interaction that each wave should be cherished.

Basically, WoW as it is now is a simulator designed to make you feel what Ian McKellen was feeling when he broke down and wept in front of a greenscreen while filming the Hobbit movies
Warlords of Draenor was the worst expansion we suffered through. Even I thought it was bad by concept alone. (TIME TRAVEL!?)

But I have been following Legion like a Hawk and so far I am liking almost every single thing about it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
MCerberus said:

Warlords of Draenor was the worst expansion we suffered through. Even I thought it was bad by concept alone. (TIME TRAVEL!?)

But I have been following Legion like a Hawk and so far I am liking almost every single thing about it.
I still haven't heard a peep on Blizzard doing anything to reintroduce social interactions. Games with much worse gameplay are much better because of interaction. You can't chill on your guild's pad or hold contests at your place. Crafting turned into a single material click-fest that intentionally abandoned things like grouping to hunt Devilsaurs. Hell, Pok?mon go is garbage but it's soooooooo much more fun because of spontaneous lure parties and trash talking those red team scum (Mystic 4 life).

And I don't blame raid finder either, that was just a symptom of Blizzard's no-social bubble.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MCerberus said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MCerberus said:

I still haven't heard a peep on Blizzard doing anything to reintroduce social interactions. Games with much worse gameplay are much better because of interaction. You can't chill on your guild's pad or hold contests at your place. Crafting turned into a single material click-fest that intentionally abandoned things like grouping to hunt Devilsaurs. Hell, Pok?mon go is garbage but it's soooooooo much more fun because of spontaneous lure parties and trash talking those red team scum (Mystic 4 life).

And I don't blame raid finder either, that was just a symptom of Blizzard's no-social bubble.
At this point make a single player WOW RPG Blizzard.

And trust me Dragon Age Origins already laid out the gameplay formula for you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
The Garrisons were a neat concept in theory, however due to how ridiculously easy they made it to earn gold, the in-game economy is absolutely FUCKED.

Hell, I spent all day yesterday sitting in Stormwind giving mage ports for tips...people were throwing 100g, 200g, 500g, even 1Kg at me as though it were chump change! I just started playing again a couple weeks ago after over a decade off (I was there at the launch of vanilla through the end of BC), and if I had gotten a 1k "tip" just for opening a port for someone back then I would have literally shat my pants. o.o

As for maintenance: expect it to run extra long today. :p

Oh: and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a DDoS attack...because why the fuck wouldn't there be?

MCerberus said:
I still haven't heard a peep on Blizzard doing anything to reintroduce social interactions.
Well...there is the whole Pokemon "battle pet" thing they've got going on. :p

Yeah, it's a bullshit attempt to contradict you...let's just call it devil's advocacy. :3

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
MCerberus said:
Samtemdo8 said:
MCerberus said:

At this point make a single player WOW RPG Blizzard.

And trust me Dragon Age Origins already laid out the gameplay formula for you.
As a Diablo 3 player, I loathe them for the always online, forced interactions and balance decisions around group play.

Maybe a petition for them to swith around the dev teams?

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Man, if I didn't need to desperately sleep, I'd be all over this. But it's like... 1:30am where I'm at. Not even I can wait so long without sleep...

Though waiting will give me plenty of time to debate on what I'm doing with the fancy 12 character slot they've made - do I roll Demon Hunter I'll probably just keep around for lore purposes, or do I finally make an Alliance Monk so I can heal when my guild goes raiding? Decisions, decisions...

RJ 17 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The Garrisons were a neat concept in theory, however due to how ridiculously easy they made it to earn gold, the in-game economy is absolutely FUCKED.

Hell, I spent all day yesterday sitting in Stormwind giving mage ports for tips...people were throwing 100g, 200g, 500g, even 1Kg at me as though it were chump change! I just started playing again a couple weeks ago after over a decade off (I was there at the launch of vanilla through the end of BC), and if I had gotten a 1k "tip" just for opening a port for someone back then I would have literally shat my pants. o.o

As for maintenance: expect it to run extra long today. :p

Oh: and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a DDoS attack...because why the fuck wouldn't there be?
...before the patch hit, I went on all my characters (...maaaybe there's 11 of them, maaaaybe there's 13) and did as much gold earning as possible through the garrison...

Made about... 5-15k each, besides two who earned 35k+? Those two did a lot of dedicated gold grinding (Savage blood/resources for gold sacks, JC dailies, etc.) but the rest just did the standard Garry/Boat missions and still made loads of gold just for logging in and opening the mission boards. Seriously, the amount of boat missions that reward 700g+ before bonuses...

I'm not even mad they're nerfing Garrison gold at this point, hopefully it'll force some semblance of economy to come back now that players won't be earning thousands just by logging in and clicking some buttons for 5 minutes.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
RJ 17 said:
MCerberus said:
I still haven't heard a peep on Blizzard doing anything to reintroduce social interactions.
Well...there is the whole Pokemon "battle pet" thing they've got going on. :p

Yeah, it's a bullshit attempt to contradict you...let's just call it devil's advocacy. :3
Fun fact, when you're waiting for a pet NPC to end their battle so you can have your turn with the other player flying off without even noticing you, "The Sound of Silence" plays in the background.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
I literally knew when I clicked this title, that the vast majority of people posting here would be so uninterested in Legion, so turned off by Warlords/Pandaria/Cataclysm, so completely OVER WoW and everything wrong that its done...

That they would be literally honor-bound to come in and tell everyone how over and uninterested in WoW they all are.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
mythgraven said:
I literally knew when I clicked this title, that the vast majority of people posting here would be so uninterested in Legion, so turned off by Warlords/Pandaria/Cataclysm, so completely OVER WoW and everything wrong that its done...

That they would be literally honor-bound to come in and tell everyone how over and uninterested in WoW they all are.
I am subscribbed. I have been playing wow through out all of WOD (and trust me outside of raidiing and leveling the overall experiance did sucked) and I am really excited for this xpac Legion. All the features added is a gold star so far.

And Mist of Pandaria was not a bad expansion, it had more content and a longer lifespan than WOD.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I quested through WoD recently to get my Hunter from 91 to 100 (I did it in a single, very long day right before patch and had a healer and tank run me through Skyreach with a potion of rapid mind. Bought two of them, did 97-100 in under ~25 minutes. 8,000g well spent.)

I will admit, the leveling there is fairly smooth. It helps to have an Addon to point out the treasure, which is a free 11-20k experience (And some of them are clustered, so you basically get quest xp for picking garbage up). But the hubs are cool, some of the questgivers even follow you around, and solo'ing rares is tough and fun.
...But they just didn't give us a lot to do at cap. Only two raids (Which I never found any groups outside of LFR), two tiers, and I just ended up PvPing my days away.