Pokemon Sun and Moon Allows You to "Hyper Train" Level 100 Pokemon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon Sun and Moon Allows You to "Hyper Train" Level 100 Pokemon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1337/1337309.png
Could "Hyper Training" finally put an end to the endless Ditto breeding farms necessary to obtain perfect IVs?

Got some good news for the hardest of hardcore Pokemon masters today. The upcoming Pokemon main series games: Pokemon Sun & Moon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokemon%20sun%20and%20moon?os=pokemon+sun+and+moon] will feature a new way to train level 100 Pokemon. It's called "Hyper Training", and it may finally put an end to the endless Ditto breeding farms high-level players have to endure in search of perfect IVs.

The official Japanese Pokemon website [http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/grow/160719_01.html] revealed the new feature, but isn't super clear on how it works. It appears to be an enhanced version of the "Super Training" feature from Pokemon X & Y, and is available to your Pokemon that have reached level 100, and can be used to boost their IVs.

If your unfamiliar to the world of high-end Pokemon training, Pokemon actually have two "hidden" sets of stats. EVs or "effort values" are stats that Pokemon earn by battling. Battling specific types of Pokemon increases a specific EV (for example, defeating a Geodude increases the defense EV) so it is possible to train Pokemon to have specific strengths and weaknesses.

IVs or "individual values" are a static set of stats that are determined when a Pokemon is born. Until now, there was no way to change IVs without mass breeding Pokemon, but now it looks like we'll be able to fine-tune them at level 100, possible evening them out completely.

Those who go see Pokemon the Movie: Volcanion and the Mechanical Magearna in Japan will get the Mythical Pokemon Magearna, who comes with a "Silver Bottle Cap" item - which seems to be important for the Hyper Training feature.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/20/pokmon-sun-moons-new-feature-will-let-train-pokmon-beyond-level-100/]

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
If it does make achieving perfect IVs easier I'm all for it. Reducing breeding to getting a good nature and ability makes it way more achievable for new players (and some veterans like me that don't want to drive in a circle for hours).

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
It's about time. It's not so much that I hated endlessly breeding, it did give me something to do, though it was tedious, the problem is that because it's such a long, tedious process hacking/cheating pokemon into the game is rampant.

The best way to reduce people using hacked pokemon is by making the process of getting a pokemon with good IVs easier.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
My first thought was to complain but...I guess this isn't really a bad thing. Glad I never got into IV breeding though, or Id feel like my time was wasted.

Ever since completing my Living Pokedex, Id been looking for ways to enhance my collection. So I guess having every Pok?mon maxed out will be my next step.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, don't you still need to breed them if you want a good nature and personality?

I mean yeah I aware of the training starting in X and Y but I still set out for the ideal personality or nature for that specific Pokemon?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
JayRPG said:
It's about time. It's not so much that I hated endlessly breeding, it did give me something to do, though it was tedious, the problem is that because it's such a long, tedious process hacking/cheating pokemon into the game is rampant.

The best way to reduce people using hacked pokemon is by making the process of getting a pokemon with good IVs easier.
No, you'll still get hacked pokemon everywhere.
Shinies.
And people will still claim that their perfect nature/ability shiny is just something they caught.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I IV breed my teams, but then again I was given a Japanese 6 IV Ditto. Half the work is already done when you already have a perfect mon that can breed with almost everything. Not sure if I would do it if I didn't have that Ditto, and even reaching for anything that doesn't have perfect or five IVs (namely if you want a certain hidden power. A perfect set of IVs will always get you dark hidden power, which isn't as useful as fire, ice, grass, etc)

Although I wish it wasn't Lvl 100, I'm happy they've considered the fact that IVs are absolutely nuts and put a work-around. If you want a competitive legendary with the right hidden power, I hope you cleared your afternoon for a shitton of soft resetting. At that point, you've more or less incentivized people to cheat. EVs don't take too much effort and guides are pretty accessible (plus with super training, braces, and horde battles added, it's even easier and faster).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well I guess if the fact that they gate it behind an NPC you have to travel to is anything to go by, the "traditional" obtuse as hell way of doing it will probably be less tedious, just like it was with super training.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, don't you still need to breed them if you want a good nature and personality?

I mean yeah I aware of the training starting in X and Y but I still set out for the ideal personality or nature for that specific Pokemon?
Yup, this wouldn't end breeding entirely but it would make it a lot quicker. An everstone can be used to get 100% of a certain nature in breeding if the parent possesses it, or 50% via the synchronise ability in the wild, so that is fairly trivia compared to the roulette wheel which is IV breeding.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I hope that's what this mean, because breeding for IVs is the most time-consuming, least-fun thing in Pokemon.

Now if we can do something about breeding for certain Poke Balls...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Scarim Coral said:

You still need to breed for the correct ability and nature. That's about it though, and those two things are super easy to breed for. A lot of breeders catch dittos of every nature so they can just breed down exactly what nature they want. Getting the dittos is still a bit tedious, but it's extremely easy compared to breeding IVs.

You people are all thinking too small though. Sure, it makes breeding IVs from eggs easier. But the real gem of this change?

...It absolutely wrecks the competitive scene of Pokemon.

Usually, the top Pokemon players are only so because they spent hundreds of hours farming perfect IV legendaries (which are much harder to acquire than breedable Pokemon). Beforehand, if you wanted to be a competitive player, then you'd need to have team which includes Pokemon along the lines of perfect IV/perfect EV/perfect Nature Palkia/Xerneas/Kyogre etc.

But now? Literally anyone can get the perfect Pokemon! Completely throws a spanner into who can participate in competitive Pokemon games.
OH no, more people can compete in tournaments. That's so horrible. This is the end of Pokemon as we know it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
RaikuFA said:
OH no, more people can compete in tournaments. That's so horrible. This is the end of Pokemon as we know it.
I see that you didn't read my comment properly. I described it as the "gem of this change".
Sorry, after hearing the shit talking from older Go players getting butthurt that kids are playing Pok?mon I read it as another person acting like that.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
The Great JT said:
I hope that's what this mean, because breeding for IVs is the most time-consuming, least-fun thing in Pokemon.
Yes, let's replace it with lvl and bottle cap grinding instead.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Goliath100 said:
The Great JT said:
Yes, let's replace it with lvl and bottle cap grinding instead.
Lvl grinding is easy.

Bottle caps probably won't be that hard to acquire.

IV's are an absolute ball ache, that require you to breed the same Pokemon over and over. You might lucky, and maybe the first one u get is perfect. But almost all the time you need breed the bastard about 50+ times.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Buizel91 said:
Lvl grinding is easy.
1) Breeding is easy, it's lvl grinding that's tedious.
2) Breeding comes with a built in skinner box, lvl grinding doesn't.

Kibeth41 said:
Usually, the top Pokemon players are only so because they spent hundreds of hours farming perfect IV legendaries. Beforehand, if you wanted to be a competitive player, then you'd need to have team which includes Pokemon along the lines of perfect IV/perfect EV/perfect Nature Palkia/Xerneas/Kyogre etc.
Where're you getting your information from?

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Well, that one Poketuber, Verlisify, doesn't seem too happy about this new feature. He seems to think it's the worst thing ever. Which, considering I don't play Pokemon competitively, could be right for all I know.

Anyone here play competitive Pokemon think this is a bad thing? I mean, it sounds good to me, I imagine more people will be able to join in on the competitive fun this way.