Pokemon GO Finally Launches in Japan

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon GO Finally Launches in Japan

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1337/1337481.jpg
Pokemon GO is now finally live in the birthplace of Pokemon.

It's hard to belive that until now, despite it's incredible popularity and Pokemon GO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167911-Pokemon-GO-Raises-Nintendo-Shares-25] hasn't been live in Japan - the very birthplace of Pokemon. That has reportedly changed today, as the servers for the monster catcher have finally gone live in the land of the rising sun.

While an official app has yet to appear in the store, players who manually downloaded the Pokemon GO .apk files are now seeing Pokemon appear in their previously barren games.

We don't know what this means for the game. Considering how massively successful it already is, we feel like the Japanese launch will skyrocket it even further.

Source: Nintendo Everything [http://nintendoeverything.com/pokemon-go-servers-live-in-japan/]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Damn, I'm not surprised to hear this, the servers have been awful today. Hope they can deal with the extra load.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Those poor servers...

With the amount of cash Niantic and Ninty are making though they should be able to afford a lot more servers.

krystalphoenix

Sep 5, 2015
This finally kicked me into gear to get a new handset, I've been needing one for about 6 months but was holding out for as long as possible. But my poor old thing was no good for Pokemon. So I gave it a day and took myself along to the mall to grab a new phone. Needless to say that I downloaded Pokemon Go then and there in the shop.

Had a few connection issues, but a lot of the little things have been solved by forcing the app to stop then reopening it. Hopefully things will calm down in a few days. Unfortunately it's the summer vacation here now so the kids that play will be able to wander all day...

[EDIT]
Also, it's been working since yesterday evening according to a friend.Lots of the gyms are well defended already.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
In other news:

The Nikkei stock index took a drastic hit as the futures markets imploded, due to fears of massive productivity slowdowns in the Japanese economy.