Overwatch's Next Animated Short Focuses on the Origin of Bastion

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Overwatch's Next Animated Short Focuses on the Origin of Bastion

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1341/1341944.jpg

Overwatch's upcoming animated short is all about Bastion.

Blizzard has been releasing animated shorts that delve into the stories of Overwatch's characters prior to the events of the game, and the next short in the series will focus on Bastion. "The Last Bastion" is set to premiere on stage at Gamescom next Thursday, August 18, at 9am Pacific Time.

"The Last Bastion tells the origin story of the inquisitive transforming robot, Bastion," the description reads [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20236535]. "In this episode, we follow the forgotten battle automaton as it unexpectedly reactivates after laying dormant in the wilderness for over a decade. Fascinated by its unfamiliar surroundings, the curious omnic begins to investigate, but quickly discovers its core combat programming may have a different directive..."

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Go away Bastion. Nobody likes you. Shoo. Instead, give us a Junkrat & Roadhog short already!

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Go away Bastion. Nobody likes you. Shoo. Instead, give us a Junkrat & Roadhog short already!
Nope, screw you. Bastion is love, Bastion is life.

OT: Finally! Been waiting for some Bastion stories.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
They got a comic about them, makes me wonder what the rules are. So far the characters who get short films and the characters who get comics have been mutually exclusive.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
SirSullymore said:
Cowabungaa said:
They got a comic about them, makes me wonder what the rules are. So far the characters who get short films and the characters who get comics have been mutually exclusive.
I suppose they reserve animations for the very significant lore characters. I imagine both Reaper, Mercy, and maybe Tracer will have movies of their own.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SirSullymore said:
Cowabungaa said:
Except Soldier:76 and Reaper, who are both in animated videos as well as the Old Soldiers comic with Ana.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
SirSullymore said:
Cowabungaa said:
Except Soldier:76 and Reaper, who are both in animated videos as well as the Old Soldiers comic with Ana.
I just meant in terms of being the focus.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
SirSullymore said:
Sight Unseen said:
SirSullymore said:
Cowabungaa said:
I'm not sure I follow your meaning. In your first post you said that characters who get films and characters who get comics are mutually exclusive. I just said the two instances where they are not mutually exclusive.

In terms of being the focus, I'd argue that Soldier:76 is the focus character of Hero (because there was no other hero in it) and Reaper was the secondary character behind Winston in Recall (as well as a secondary character in the original cinematic.) The Old Soldiers comic was pretty evenly split in focus between the three "old heroes" Ana, Reaper, and Soldier:76.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I want to see D.VA fighting monsters in a mecha!

Why can't I have nice things?

I guess Bastion will do, for now, Blizzard.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
They built him in a factory and then one of the factory guys was like "this one looks like it won't be so much a threat as a really big hassle I bet everyone would hate it. It probably shouldnt be around." and then it was there fuck you.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Outcast107 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Nope, screw you. Bastion is love, Bastion is life.

OT: Finally! Been waiting for some Bastion stories.
*starts writing his nickname on Pharah's missiles*

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
SirSullymore said:
Sight Unseen said:
SirSullymore said:
Cowabungaa said:
I'm not sure I follow your meaning. In your first post you said that characters who get films and characters who get comics are mutually exclusive. I just said the two instances where they are not mutually exclusive.

In terms of being the focus, I'd argue that Soldier:76 is the focus character of Hero (because there was no other hero in it) and Reaper was the secondary character behind Winston in Recall (as well as a secondary character in the original cinematic.) The Old Soldiers comic was pretty evenly split in focus between the three "old heroes" Ana, Reaper, and Soldier:76.
Recall - Story about Winston
Alive - Story about Widow
Dragons - Story about the brothers
Hero - Story about 76
Last Bastion - Story about Bastion

Train Hopper - Story about Mcree
Dragon Slayer - Story about Reinhardt
Going Legit - Story about the Junkers
A Better World - Story about Symmetra
Mission Statement - Story about Phara
Destroyer - Story about Trobjorn
Legacy - Story about Ana

I'm not saying that characters can't be in both, just that there is a pretty clear divide, a character stars in a comic or a short film, at least so far.

As you point out, Old Soldiers has a lot of 76, who had a short film, but I took that story to be about the original team, a group of characters, and thus doesn't follow the format featuring a particular character, kind of like the original cinematic.

Maybe I'm taking non-sense, but that's kind of how I worked it out.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Hum the premise already surprises me, I expected Bastion to reawaken in a sodium chloride mine.

Guess they didn't want to take the obvious route.