Star Wars Actor Kenny Baker Passes Away at 81

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Star Wars Actor Kenny Baker Passes Away at 81

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1342/1342738.jpg

The actor who played R2-D2 in the Star Wars movies has passed away.

2016 continues to be a tough year for celebrity deaths. The latest is Kenny Baker, best known for playing R2-D2 in the Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star+wars] movies, has passed away at the age of 81.

Baker, who stood at 3'8" tall, portrayed the famous character in the first six Star Wars movies. In addition to Star Wars, he also had roles in The Elephant Man [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon_(film)] - to name a few.

Baker dies after battling illness for quite a while. As Abigail Shield, his niece, told The Guardian [https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/13/kenny-baker-r2-d2-dies-star-wars]: "He had problems with his lungs and was often in a wheelchair. He was very poorly for a long time. He was asked to go out to LA for the new Star Wars premiere but he was told he was too ill to travel. Luckily he did manage to meet George Lucas again when he came to Manchester."

While R2-D2 is a character that will continue to exist in the Star Wars universe, Baker was not going to be the actor in the suit. He served as a consultant on Star Wars: The Force Awakens [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/15178-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Review].

Kenny Baker is survived by his two children. He will be missed.

Correction: His date of birth was listed incorrectly on several sites following his passing. That has since been rectified, and as such his age has been corrected, too.

Source: The Guardian [https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/13/kenny-baker-r2-d2-dies-star-wars]

[gallery=6404]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
If any of my circuits or gears would have helped, I would have gladly donated them.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Queen Michael said:
If any of my circuits or gears would have helped, I would have gladly donated them.
Dude, right in the feels! :(

OT: R.I.P Kenny, 2016 continues to shock me. So many amazing people have gone in such a short amount of time :( this just adds to the growing list.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
R2 was always one of the most beloved Star Wars characters. This was undoubtedly because he was the bravest, most loyal, and capable little guy out there. I don't think Kenny Baker would want to be remembered any other way.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
It was only a few weeks ago I saw him here in London at Star Wars Celebration Europe. RIP, we'll remember you forever.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
And yet another known name passes this year. Rest in peace, good sir.

BEEP-BWOOP BEEP!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I think I speak for everyone here when I say this: Dear 2015 and 2016, you've taken so many idols from us.... Why do you hate us?

Originally said go to hell to both years... Then I remembered who's running for president. So I take that back.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Marter said:
Age 81, Marter. Correct it.

OT: You are one with the Force, Kenny. I hope you and Alec and Christopher shall all enjoy drinks at Heaven's Cantina.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Basement Cat said:
Age 81, Marter. Correct it.
Thanks.

It was weird. When I first read about it this morning, everywhere (but, like, Wikipedia) was listing 83. I guess because The Guardian's article had it at 83, and everyone was going based on that. As the day went on I guess we found out his actual birthdate, which led to the corrections.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I think I speak for everyone here when I say this: Dear 2015 and 2016, you've taken so many idols from us.... Why do you hate us?

Originally said go to hell to both years... Then I remembered who's running for president. So I take that back.
That last sentence is so bizarre that it lightened my mood. Not meant as an insult. It's also sooo nebulous... Is it now that this is good and you're really into Trump... Is it that the next 4 years might be an abnormal catastrophe... Is it because Hillary will fix it all... Is it that both are shit and no matter what, the next 4 years absolutely will suck... Are both a boon to the country so that 2016 is awesome as hell still...

Who knows? I don't. I don't even really want to know. And unsarcastically, it made me smile. Thanks! :)

Still, 2016 regarding this sucks big in my book.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
*sigh* I'm not the biggest fan of the original star wars trilogy, but it always sucks to see an actor like that pass away...RIP Kenny, you will be missed