EA Hints that a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster Could Be Coming Soon, Because "People Want It"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
EA Hints that a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster Could Be Coming Soon, Because "People Want It"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1343/1343482.jpgIs there a chance we'll see a remastered Mass Effect anytime soon? It's very possible, EA says.

Despite the plethora of remasters we've seen hit the market since the PS4 and Xbox One launched, there's one big company that hasn't dived into their back catalog yet: Electronic Arts. That could be changing soon, though.

In an interview with Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/08/16/ea-strongly-hints-that-mass-effect-games-will-get-remastered.aspx] at Gamescom, Executive Vice President for EA Studios Patrick Soderlund didn't confirm that EA is getting into the remasters game, but his comments certainly would make you think the company is leaning that way.

When Game Informer asked about the possibility of a Mass Effect trilogy remaster, Soderlund had this to say:

"I think there is even more clear evidence that this is something that people really want. The honest answer is that we are absolutely actively looking at it. I can't announce anything today, but you can expect us most likely to follow our fellow partners in Activision and other companies that have done this successfully."

He also said that the quality of the remaster would be the paramount concern. "A remaster is something that you can just do or do it really well. I want to make sure that if we were to do it, we would do it really well and that people feel that it's the same game but it feels so much better in this new shape and form."

It wouldn't be terribly surprising to see a Mass Effect trilogy remaster, especially with Mass Effect Andromeda on the horizon. We'll just have to see what EA decides to do.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Given ME2 and 3 aren't BC on Xbox, I'd certainly want to the chance to replay the trilogy on the only console I actually use. So yeah, I'd very likely buy it.

Pricing's a thorny subject of late, what with No Man's Sky, and I'm not sure I'd pay a full ?40 for a trilogy I've played multiple times over the years already. Maybe ?30, depending on how they approach possible tweaks and polishes.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, if they're on PC and don't need Origin, I'd buy them. Origin is the only reason I haven't bought the third game, as much as I'd personally like to finish the trilogy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
People also want the ending to be unfucked, so if we're going on what people want...take a hint EA.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Katherine Kerensky said:
Eh, if they're on PC and don't need Origin
HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's rich. EA make a PC game that doesn't require Origin? Right after that, Sony could release a PC exclusive!

Would be nice, though, wouldn't it?

saiga123

Oct 22, 2014
If they do it I hope they make it act like just one continuous game so that as soon as you finish the first you instantly go into the second without getting kicked to the main menu, choosing which game who want to start, importing your save etc.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
YES ALL 3 GAMES IN ONE PACKAGE!!!!

MAKING SAVE TRANSFERS BETWEEN THE GAMES SEEMLESS!!!

AND ALL THE CRUCIAL DLC IN THE GAME AT ONCE!!!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Samtemdo8 said:

You are a lot more optimistic about EA's sense of not screwing over the customers than I am.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

That already exist on PS3

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I recently replayed all three on PC, and ME1 is getting a bit old, but I'd say it still had a couple of good years left before EA really needed to do anything. I'm a bit more concerned with multiplayer in 3, it is pretty fun and I still play it every now and again, so I wonder how that'll jive with a remake.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken them this long. I wouldn't mind running through the series once again, getting three platinum trophies again. I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and come up with my own ending to the trilogy again. Still have the thing written down.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm surprised to be honest. With the first game on Xbox One backward compatibility, and the second on the PS4's system, EA don't need to do anything but wait for the other games to hit the systems and they get free money with no work required on their part.

However remasters do tend to sell quite well these days, so I guess they can see the profit in doing so. Though personally since I use the high resolution texture mods on the PC, I would have no reason to buy.

The big question for me though is are they going to leave the combat system of the first game as it is? Personally I prefer the system in the first game but I know I am in the minority, so the change would make sense. Yet if they change the combat system they are going to need to redesign the levels to support it, chest high walls can be quite sparse in the first game as shields were actually effective and the enemies didn't all have supernatural aim.

Katherine Kerensky said:
Eh, if they're on PC and don't need Origin, I'd buy them. Origin is the only reason I haven't bought the third game, as much as I'd personally like to finish the trilogy.
That is a silly reason not to buy the third game. Buy it through Origin, run it through Steam (that what I did as I like Steam's screenshot function).

You really are just cutting your nose off to spite your face in this situation. Origin isn't a monster.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I admit, I'd buy it, if only to support Bioware and show that I'm up for more space adventures. I just hope they put a bit work into it, like re-inserting bits or fixing bugs (like Conrad accusing him of putting a gun in his face in ME2, even if you took the Paragon option).

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Wish they would go back and fix ME1 I tried playing it again and clunky barely even begins to describe it.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
sneakypenguin said:
Wish they would go back and fix ME1 I tried playing it again and clunky barely even begins to describe it.
Clunky how?

I see people say this all the time but they are rarely willing to say why? I far prefer the combat system of the first game to the sequels but I always like to get alternate opinions.

Because it hides the dice roll combat behind the facade of a third person shooter? Dragon Age II hid the dice roll behind a false real time brawler and people seemed to love that.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Would be nice to see ME1 optimized on consoles. That alone may be worth it. Give us smooth gameplay and cutscenes plz.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
votemarvel said:
I see people say this all the time but they are rarely willing to say why? I far prefer the combat system of the first game to the sequels but I always like to get alternate opinions.
Oh my God, it has a crouch button. And not everything is set to Space, so you won't sit in front of a charging Krogan and die stupidly, when all you wanted is to vault over that chest high wall.

Best controls in the series, hands down. And all the cinematics are ingame, not prerendered, which is a huge plus for immersion.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I don't have all the DLC, but the DLC I did have tended to be glitchy as shit with no patches ever released to fix them. Continuing with the trend of remasters, I don't expect them to really look at the code outside the installer in the graphics, so that's one thing against it.

Second, Origin.

Third, ME3 took enough out of me that I got bored 1/4th of the way through the second playthrough on the way to the extended ending DLC. I just decided to screw it and watch the YouTube videos.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Aslong as bioware/EA in disguise employs blatant racists i will not buy a product from them.

I can deal with their SJW nonsense... i will not deal with racists who call for the murder of a certain group of people due to their skin color.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
votemarvel said:
-snip-

You really are just cutting your nose off to spite your face in this situation. Origin isn't a monster.
To be fair, it's a big, bloated, warty nose that reports everything to the EA overlords in this case. So yeah, I'd rather go without that nose.
ffronw said:
HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's rich. EA make a PC game that doesn't require Origin? Right after that, Sony could release a PC exclusive!

Would be nice, though, wouldn't it?
I still hope for the day that Ubisoft releases a game I want that doesn't require Uplay.
When I dream, I dream big.