#138: Purpose

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so, basically, she joined up for no other reason then a glowing rock asked her to, and her own need to be 'accepted'.

I'm ok with this.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The glowing rock is starting to sound like a dick.

Or, IDK, maybe Rose Quartz.
Targeting people at their lowest.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
It occurs to me that that poor crystal's not even in the wrong, really. 'Elemental Crystal of Light' kinda reads fine if you just realise Elemental doesn't have to mean 'light element' in this context, just, you know, fundamental. Like say, a pillar of the natural order.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
These crystals sure adhere to the Kansas style of science education, the other elements really need to reign this in. This is way you need protected terms. Otherwise you get any old chancer calling themelves an element and sending the emotionally vulnerable on poorly defined quests.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Erin. Pedantically questions crystal. Gets a job that she doesn't want.
FlutterMage. Pedantically questions crystal. Gets a job she's not at all suited for.

What's the lesson?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
BX3 said:
FlutterMage. Pedantically questions crystal. Gets a job she's not at all suited for.

What's the lesson?
The lesson is, if some Giant Crystal thing wants you to be "Chosen" to go on some ill defined quest and decides to be a dick to the people it supposedly needs to do it's bidding, the thing to do is tell it to go F*** itself?

I'm in the ballpark at least.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
gmaverick019 said:
which final fantasy starts off this *exact* same way? is it the first one or second one?
Final Fantasy 3 starts off sort of like this, but with the rest the Crystals are kinda just "there" to be used as plot tokens for the bad guys to either steal and use or destroy. Crystals haven't really been a part of the Final Fantasy series for a long time, unless you count Bravely Default/Second.

Oh crap, mods please merge.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
BX3 said:

What's the lesson?
The lesson is, if some Giant Crystal thing wants you to be "Chosen" to go on some ill defined quest and decides to be a dick to the people it supposedly needs to do it's bidding, the thing to do is tell it to go F*** itself?

What's that? "Thief class"?
Well, like, if you insist!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
BX3 said:
immortalfrieza said:
BX3 said:

What's the lesson?

What's that? "Thief class"?
Well, like, if you insist!
If the Crystal is going to be a dick then it can go do it's own dirty work. Oh! It can't? It has to use once in a millennium "Chosen Ones" to do anything? I guess it better treat them right then.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
immortalfrieza said:
gmaverick019 said:
which final fantasy starts off this *exact* same way? is it the first one or second one?
Final Fantasy 3 starts off sort of like this, but with the rest the Crystals are kinda just "there" to be used as plot tokens for the bad guys to either steal and use or destroy. Crystals haven't really been a part of the Final Fantasy series for a long time, unless you count Bravely Default/Second.

5 also kinda pulls this, except the crystal(all of them, actually) shatters when you reach them and the shards give you the jobs. Because picking up sharp pieces of broken glass gives you superpowers, kids!

Yeah, didn't X pretty much jettison the whole crytal part of the series? And I'm assuming we're not counting the "Turn to crystal" part of the plot in XIII.

Oct 15, 2015
immortalfrieza said:
gmaverick019 said:

14. Hydaelyn (the crystal) is a huge part of it's story.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
"Hey! I wanted to be a pyromancer!"
"Screw you! If you can't be bothered to listen to my epic backstory that I spent over a week writing, you're gonna be the healer!"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I thought Chosen Ones were like, the best at their stuff?
Guess this Crystal was slumming it and just barged into the first house with a light on.
That way it can get back ASAP to it's own life, which consists of smoking smaller crystals.

Yes, he IS sort of a cannibal...

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Tanis said:
The glowing rock is starting to sound like a dick.

Or, IDK, maybe Rose Quartz.
Targeting people at their lowest.
I read it more as "backstory detected > initiate recruitment."

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Kenjitsuka said:
I thought Chosen Ones were like, the best at their stuff?
Guess this Crystal was slumming it and just barged into the first house with a light on.
That way it can get back ASAP to it's own life, which consists of smoking smaller crystals.

Yes, he IS sort of a cannibal...
Crystal of Light: Hey, Steve was the one with the list of "which character is good at what". Unfortunately Steve is now 197 cans of Diet Cherry Vanilla Crystal Cola Classic, so excuse me for taking what I can get.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
LenticularHomicide said:
That blue-headed turkey / cassowary doll on Althea's bed. Want.
That is clearly a Figurine of Wondrous Power which can be enlarged and ridden as a mount with the proper command word. Seen HERE in Erin Dies Alone #105: Mighty Steed.

I have a D&D campaign running now with a similar Ebony Fly as the "mighty steed". The command phrase is written on the bottom. It is "Made in China".