Metroid Prime 4 Teased in Federation Force Ending

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Metroid Prime 4 Teased in Federation Force Ending

A post-credits scene at the end of Metroid Prime Federation Force is possibly teasing a new (proper) Metroid Prime game.

nobody really liked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141691-Metroid-Prime-Federation-Force-Producer-Expected-Negative-Reaction]) but a post-credits scene may have something for you patient, die-hard Metroid fans. The scene, which you can see in the video to the right, seems to strongly tease the existence of a new main series Metroid Prime game. Be warned that it does contain some mild Federation Force spoilers, if you are one of the five people who actually plan on playing it.

Confused? GameXplain [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pb7I82uQjY] has put together a video explaining the scene. Essentially, Slyux, a character from the DS's Metroid Prime: Hunters, is shown breaking into a Federation base and hatching a Metroid egg. The significance of this is that Metroid Prime's produced, Kensuke Tanabe has previously expressed interest in making a new Metroid Prime game that focused on the rivalry between Slyux and Samus.

So what do you guys think? Is this a shot-in-the-dark, with fans desperately hoping for a new, proper Metroid, or are they on to something here?

Source: GameXplain [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pb7I82uQjY]

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
If I'm remembering it correctly, the secret ending to Prime 3 showed Sylux tailing Samus's ship, so whatever is happening next we're sure to see him return for it.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Of course, if it exists I doubt it will come to Wii U since...Nintendo is already pimping its next "console" so...ehhh, for the record I would prefer it to stay as far away from Other M as possible and go back to the original Trilogy, but then again unless its on Wii U I have no interest so, what does Nintendo care?

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Steven Bogos said:
Just FYI, it's Sylux ^_^

OT: God yes, I need this. Given Prime 3's ending had Sylux tailing Samus into hyperspace or whatever, this teaser ties in with the teaser ending of Prime 3. If Nintendo makes Prime 4 and it's an NX launch title, well...that's how you make me buy the NX. Please Nintendo. Please.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
What ever happened to Retro making "Metroid: Dread" as a 2d Platformer for the handhelds? I would love that.
I doubt I'm going to get an NX, so I really hope they don't hold Metroid hostage on it.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
'Bout time they did something with Sylux. As someone who played Hunters (actually, it was my introduction to the series sadly enough), I felt like the other Hunters had a lot of potential, especially him. The Prime 3 teaser gave us hope, but that was before Other M and nearly a decade of neglect of the Metroid franchise. I'm surprised they're still holding onto it after all this time, but better late than never.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
But will they ever, in fact, address the aftermath of Metroid Fusion?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So long as they don't let Yoshio Sakamoto get involved any more than just a special mention, like in the Prime trilogy.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Steven Bogos said:
nobody really liked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141691-Metroid-Prime-Federation-Force-Producer-Expected-Negative-Reaction])
Baloney. The most positive reviews on metacritic said it was "perhaps one of my favorite FPS games ever" and called it a "wonderful experience". So saying that "nobody really liked" it is an outright falsehood.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Souplex said:
What ever happened to Retro making "Metroid: Dread" as a 2d Platformer for the handhelds? I would love that.
I doubt I'm going to get an NX, so I really hope they don't hold Metroid hostage on it.
It seems like the NX is going to replace both, the 3DS and the Wii U. At least these are the vibes a lot of enthusiasts get from all the leaks due to the NX seemingly being able to be completely portable.

So therefore, Nintendo very well might be releasing only on the NX.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Steven Bogos said:
nobody really liked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141691-Metroid-Prime-Federation-Force-Producer-Expected-Negative-Reaction])
Doesn't the Metacritic link demonstrate that the game has had a mixed, net positive reception? At this time of writing it has a 71 metascore - not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's hardly a net negative either.

FalloutJack said:
Hate to be 'that guy,' and goodness knows I've played around with post-Fusion scenarios in fanfiction, but is a sequel really needed?

Granted, any sequel is unnecessary by definition bar its predecessor ending with a cliffhanger, but Fusion does end on quite an optimistic note. Metroids are gone (again), the Space Pirates are still gone, SR-388 is gone, Zebes is long gone, Samus is in reasonably good cheer, and, yeah. That seems like a good place to leave an overall story to me. Granted, if a sequel to Fusion was announced I'd be excited, but I feel Nintendo might have the right idea with the series so far. It hasn't done anything to undermine the ending of Fusion in the way some sequels undermine their predecessors, but we're still getting Metroid games regardless.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
FalloutJack said:
Hawki said:
Halyah said:
This Girl
Nobody said need, but I'd like one. Is it wrong to want?
I'm with ya. Fusion was my first Metroid game, and it ending with Samus on the run from the Federation for blowing up their station always intrigued me. I'd definitely love to see a continuation.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Hawki said:
Steven Bogos said:
Doesn't the Metacritic link demonstrate that the game has had a mixed, net positive reception? At this time of writing it has a 71 metascore - not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's hardly a net negative either.
Subtlety and nuance are not something the internet is capable of accepting due to the echo chamber effect and metabombing.

FalloutJack said:
Hate to be 'that guy,' and goodness knows I've played around with post-Fusion scenarios in fanfiction, but is a sequel really needed?

Granted, any sequel is unnecessary by definition bar its predecessor ending with a cliffhanger, but Fusion does end on quite an optimistic note. Metroids are gone (again), the Space Pirates are still gone, SR-388 is gone, Zebes is long gone, Samus is in reasonably good cheer, and, yeah. That seems like a good place to leave an overall story to me. Granted, if a sequel to Fusion was announced I'd be excited, but I feel Nintendo might have the right idea with the series so far. It hasn't done anything to undermine the ending of Fusion in the way some sequels undermine their predecessors, but we're still getting Metroid games regardless.
From what I understand Sakamoto has said the reason they haven't done anything post-Fusion is because he's stumped for a hook. And it's not hard to see why considering how Fusion ended. He probably could do a new game, but it would require some drastic shifting as they can't just have Samus coming back like nothing happened.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Aiddon said:
From what I understand Sakamoto has said the reason they haven't done anything post-Fusion is because he's stumped for a hook. And it's not hard to see why considering how Fusion ended. He probably could do a new game, but it would require some drastic shifting as they can't just have Samus coming back like nothing happened.
One of the reasons I'd like to see one. If he managed it, it would be different and probably good.