Ubisoft Shuts Down Mighty Quest For Epic Loot Servers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ubisoft Shuts Down Mighty Quest For Epic Loot Servers

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1345/1345834.png
Several Ubisoft free-to-play online games, including The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot, are getting shut down.

In this era of always-online gaming, one of the inevitable truths is that all severs will eventually come to a close. Such is the case for three Ubisoft free-to-play online games, where had their servers shuttered over the last week. The games in question are The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot [http://eu.ewo.ubi.com/en/news/showNewsDetail/?newsId=481]. Click on the names to view the respective blog posts regarding their closures.

The short and skinny of it is: Endwar and Might and Magic will remain playable until October 31, while The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot will shut its doors a little earlier on October 25. None of these games will get any further updates between now and when they are shut down.

It's a bit of a shame, especially when you consider some of these games were recently released. The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot, for example, is only a little over one year old, being released in February, 2015.

At the end of the day, everything that requires an online server will eventually come to an end. Even the mighty World of Warcraft will one day close its doors for good.

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4zqyt4/ubisoft_closing_down_servers_for_mighty_quest_for/]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not suprising given to the amount of negative reviews it had on Steam for how much of a money grab it was. Shame since I did kinda wanted to played it and from what I read, it was alright at the start until they added the pay for win stuff in it.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Ubisoft are acting like double bastards. On one hand, they kill off a bunch of games, and they definitely won't, say, release server software for players to keep them alive. On the other hand, they killed those games with their own greed and mismanagement.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...huh, yeah, that is a surprise they're killing it that fast, normally these things see like, 4-5 years of hanging around. Guess they must've fucked it over with all of Ubisofts usual bullshit that it wasn't making the server costs back or something?

Ah well. I did want to try out the Mighty Quest for Epic Loot since according to a couple mates it wasn't actually that bad a game, but ... not much point in giving it a go now, is there? Plus that would've also meant giving Ubisoft money, which is something I try to avoid these days.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Ubisoft ruined that game with their usual ubisoft greed... it was pretty much a pay2win game.

Such a shame too.. it was a mix of dungeon keeper and diablo... allbeit both systems where very dumbed down.

Still it was fun building your own dungeon/castle filled with traps and monsters to try and keep other players out.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Not surprised, the game was actually quite good when I first played it but for reasons that shall forever remain shrouded in mystery they released a couple of patches that buttfucked the gameplay to hell and back with massive sweeping changes that no one asked for or liked. After that player count nosedived and the studio doubled down on P2W to trying and keep revenue up and at that point I knew it was only a matter of time.

Rastrelly said:
they definitely won't, say, release server software for players to keep them alive.
You are making something potentially rather complex sound super simple. I'm not the biggest fan of Ubi or what they did to MQ4EL, but you can't really expect a company to dump money into overhauling a game almost no one even cares about just to release it as abandonware. That's not pro-consumer, it's just wasteful.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
major_chaos said:
Rastrelly said:
they definitely won't, say, release server software for players to keep them alive.
You are making something potentially rather complex sound super simple. I'm not the biggest fan of Ubi or what they did to MQ4EL, but you can't really expect a company to dump money into overhauling a game almost no one even cares about just to release it as abandonware. That's not pro-consumer, it's just wasteful.
I really don't care about Ubi wasting money. If you think that there is any - any - game that deserves to become unplayable and unavailable for any reasons, I don't want to have anything in common with you.

senobit

Jan 6, 2011
Ubisoft really are exceptional killing free games, Trackmania Nations was fantastic fun untill ubisoft got their claws in it - as soon as they bought nadeo it become a demo instead of a full game - no custom maps and having to spectate every 4th race until you give them money. Their corporate greed has always amazed me, maybe they should consider getting into the pharmaceuticals business.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
oh ubi doing anti-consumer things again? this is a surprise to who? the company isn't worth any of my time and I hope after this more people will join me in boycotting them.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Christ, they copy pasted the shutdown notices for Endwar and Might and Magic. You could have at least tried to make it seem like you had any kind of emotional attachment to them.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
That game had some potential. When it first entered alpha, it was actually a fun diversion. Each subsequent patch made it worse, though. By its official release there wasn't anything fun left to it. I've seen that happen to a lot of games of this kind.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Pricy Quest for Awful Loot may have been 'released' in 2015 but it was in open beta for a couple of years before that.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Should be law that once they shut down a service that they have to release server software free of charge under some sort of none commercial license.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Rastrelly said:
major_chaos said:
Rastrelly said:
I really don't care about Ubi wasting money. If you think that there is any - any - game that deserves to become unplayable and unavailable for any reasons, I don't want to have anything in common with you.
What a bloody harsh response. Remember that Ubisoft is a business, and that it's not as simple as just "releasing the servers" to keep games like that running.

Yes, preferably games will be able to be played forever, but in reality that isn't true, especially for these type of games, and people know that full well getting into it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
At the end of the day, everything that requires an online server will eventually come to an end. Even the mighty World of Warcraft will one day close its doors for good.
...Which is why every online multiplayer game should allow support for community servers and/or some sort of offline mode. But no, publishers would rather suck players dry with microtransactions, then pull the plug when their profit margins start to dip. Because fuck paying customers and preserving games for future generations when it interferes with making obscene profits, amirite? Then they wonder why consumer confidence in such games is eroding...

This is why I bristle whenever I hear "games as a service" being bandied about. It's one of the biggest oxymorons in all of gaming.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Lil_Rimmy said:
Rastrelly said:
major_chaos said:
Rastrelly said:
What a bloody harsh response. Remember that Ubisoft is a business, and that it's not as simple as just "releasing the servers" to keep games like that running.

Yes, preferably games will be able to be played forever, but in reality that isn't true, especially for these type of games, and people know that full well getting into it.
There are several layers of why this is not quite true. First, there is historical significance of game as art. Second, while there are limitations to share certain software, for the most part they are legal, not technical (third party licenses), and can actually be overcome. And third - being business is not a valid cover for unethical behaviour. And Ubi are among the most unethical companies on the market. As for harshness - see no reason to be nice to people attacking basic principles of civilized society, like importance of preserving art.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Rastrelly said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Rastrelly said:
major_chaos said:
Rastrelly said:

There are several layers of why this is not quite true. First, there is historical significance of game as art. Second, while there are limitations to share certain software, for the most part they are legal, not technical (third party licenses), and can actually be overcome. And third - being business is not a valid cover for unethical behaviour. And Ubi are among the most unethical companies on the market. As for harshness - see no reason to be nice to people attacking basic principles of civilized society, like importance of preserving art.
What about games like The Flock that have a deliberately limited lifespan? Part of the art of that game comes from its' 215,358,979 life count.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
Rastrelly said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Rastrelly said:
major_chaos said:
Rastrelly said:

What about games like The Flock that have a deliberately limited lifespan? Part of the art of that game comes from its' 215,358,979 life count.
Which, funnily enough, was completely scrapped because that game didn't make enough money to afford the server to record the Flock's lives. So it's servers were shut early. Still no-one knows what the ending was.