Niantic Labs is Unbanning Several Pokemon Go Accounts

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Niantic Labs is Unbanning Several Pokemon Go Accounts

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1291/1291911.jpg

"Our main priority is to provide a fair, fun, and legitimate experience for all players...

Earlier this month, Niantic Labs dropped the hammer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168069-Niantic-Disables-Pokemon-GO-Tracking-Shuts-Down-Third-Party-Tracking-Sites] on third-party Pokemon tracking websites for Pokemon Go, at the same time disabling in-game tracking. It was a move that drew criticism from players, particularly when it was taken a step further and accounts using third-party map applications began to receive permanent bans.

In a post today, Niantic announced [http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/update-082916/] that a "small subset" of banned accounts that used add-on map apps would be reinstated, as the users in question may not have realized that these apps "do more than just show you nearby Pokemon." The developer remains firmly against the use of third-party services, but will be giving the aforementioned "small subset" a second chance.

"Some players may not have realized that some add-on map apps do more than just show you nearby Pokemon," the post reads. "Each end-user app can be used as a collection tool by the app creator, invisibly collecting and forwarding data to the app creator with or without the knowledge of the end user. These apps can have an effect similar to DDoS attacks on our servers. Because of this we have had to ban some accounts associated with using these add-on map tools, leading to confusion by some users about why they were banned."

The post goes on to state that a number of changes have allowed the developer to unban specific accounts, reminding users that "add-on maps which scrape data from our servers still violate our Terms of Service," and anyone who uses them will receive a ban moving forward. Accounts that existed for the purpose of "scraping data" will not be unbanned, nor will accounts that used third-party services to remotely capture Pokemon, hit PokeStops, or battle in Gyms.

"Our main priority is to provide a fair, fun, and legitimate experience for all players, so, aggressive banning will continue to occur for players who engage in these kinds of activities."

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
008Zulu said:
I guess they are feeling the financial sting after losing so many legitimate players recently.
I don't know, would the type of people to have spent money on the game be the type to have quit already?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Zontar said:
008Zulu said:
I guess they are feeling the financial sting after losing so many legitimate players recently.
I don't know, would the type of people to have spent money on the game be the type to have quit already?
I know several people that bought their fair share of Pokeballs in the first two weeks of playing and now have all but deleted the application from their phones.

So I wouldn't say that it's impossible, especially considering the low cost of ingame items, they could easily be treated as low value impulse buys. Low enough to trick people into buying in the heat of the moment, but also cheap enough to not build a strong enough sense of investment in the application to keep people coming back.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
bluegate said:
Zontar said:
008Zulu said:
I know several people that bought their fair share of Pokeballs in the first two weeks of playing and now have all but deleted the application from their phones.

So I wouldn't say that it's impossible, especially considering the low cost of ingame items, they could easily be treated as low value impulse buys. Low enough to trick people into buying in the heat of the moment, but also cheap enough to not build a strong enough sense of investment in the application to keep people coming back.
I guess I'm not like that at all. I spent 14 Bucks on 200 pokeballs, using the leftover gold for a backpack expander and an incubator (I was at Otakuthon at a panel, was located between 5 lured stops and used incense on myself. Ran out of my at the time 100 pokeballs in 10 minutes), and I feel too invested in that now to leave.

Though the fact that my college has two pokestops, one of which is our entrance that half my classes are in range of doesn't help.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
008Zulu said:
Kibeth41 said:
where the "financial sting" is coming from.
Less people playing is less people spending on microtransactions.
Except that the people most likely to leave are the people who were least likely to have paid money.

With a free-to-play game, there is no necessary connection between player count and income.