Gandhi Returns to Bring the Pain in Civilization VI

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Gandhi Returns to Bring the Pain in Civilization VI

Gandhi is back to lead India in Civilization VI, and as usual, he'll strike fear in the hearts of many.

Gandhi is well known as a leader that promoted a philosophy of nonviolent resistance, but for anyone that has faced off with him in a Civilization game, you know that's not always the case. The Indian leader is well-known for stockpiling nuclear weapons and tossing them at his opponents in the Firaxis strategy game.

In Civilization VI, Gandhi is back at the head of the Indian civilization. He brings along the Varu unique unit. The Varu is a giant war elephant topped with a wooden box filled with soldiers. India also gets the Stepwell tile improvement that provides housing and food, as well as bonuses to food and faith.

Civilization VI is coming to PC on October 21.

[gallery=6446]

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My theory that they changed this game's aesthetic to a more cartoon-y one to appeal to the COC demographic has been reinforced once again.

I'm not really against it, I am quite apathetic in fact. I have never played a Civ game, so what happens to the franchise doesn't really affect me. But I have this friend who plays no games but Civ, and he was distraught over this game's graphics. I just found it funny. When we asked a third friend which game a screenshot of Civ VI came from, he said COC, and that made it even funnier.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
For those who do not know the story: in the original Civilization, Gandhi was supposed to get more peaceful as the game progressed. However, there was a bug that did not account for the fact that his aggression variable would end up in the negatives. This caused the variable to actually flip to its highest value and Gandhi became hyper aggressive and started threatening everyone with nuclear weapons.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
My theory that they changed this game's aesthetic to a more cartoon-y one to appeal to the COC demographic has been reinforced once again.
My main issue with the graphics is that it brings back horrible memories of Civ: Revolution, the one and only misguided attempt to bring the franchise to consoles, which I played out of morbid curiosity. It was a horrible, broken mess with no depth and no attempt at balancing (if the Aztecs got ahead, they became invincible, due to some stupid faction perk).

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Bob_McMillan said:
Catnip1024 said:
I think it's actually drawing most of its inspiration from Endless Legend, which was a big deal at the end of 2014 for this particularly kind of strategy game. Lotta folks said that it advanced the genre in ways that Civ hadn't done in a long time.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new direction in aesthetic, either in the faction leader models or in the world map. A lot of the fun in Civ is the ludicrous juxtapositions every game has with real history. But I think that works best if the game keeps a serious face, while subtly winking at the audience every now and again, like with Gandhi's nuke fascination. It's a serious presentation with a cartoon's action. Moving to a cartoon presentation with a cartoon's action... loses some of the magic, I think. The big joke isn't meant to be blatant.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Catnip1024 said:
Bob_McMillan said:
My main issue with the graphics is that it brings back horrible memories of Civ: Revolution, the one and only misguided attempt to bring the franchise to consoles, which I played out of morbid curiosity. It was a horrible, broken mess with no depth and no attempt at balancing (if the Aztecs got ahead, they became invincible, due to some stupid faction perk).
I liked that game. It was my first Civ game. V being my second. Not saying it was the best or anything, but its not like console gamers had any other choice.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Saelune said:
I liked that game. It was my first Civ game. V being my second. Not saying it was the best or anything, but its not like console gamers had any other choice.
Well, I sunk enough time into it that it can't have been completely rubbish, but I would always restart until there were no Aztecs, and even then you wound up at war with everybody because of the AI. There was no real diplomacy.

I do like the fact that they tried to make a strategy for consoles, though.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Catnip1024 said:
Saelune said:
Well, I sunk enough time into it that it can't have been completely rubbish, but I would always restart until there were no Aztecs, and even then you wound up at war with everybody because of the AI. There was no real diplomacy.

I do like the fact that they tried to make a strategy for consoles, though.
They could always try to just port a real one to consoles. Not like the issue of speed is there like in say, Command and Conquer 3. Plus I likely didnt challenge myself too much then, so any issues of depth or unbalance Id be in the dark about.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I really wish they had this happy peaceful and uplifting trailer just suddenly cut to a bloodstained Ghanhi with Nukes going off in the background for just a single frame in the whole video XD

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
You know, with all the new leaders in this game, you would think that a new Indian leader would be on the tables. I guess not then.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Rangaman said:
You know, with all the new leaders in this games, you would think that a new Indian leader would be on the tables. I guess not then.
Do you dare defy the Lord of Nukes? Gandhi shall cleanse everything and everyone you know and love in the fires of nuclear fire.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Veldie said:
Do you dare defy the Lord of Nukes? Gandhi shall cleanse everything and everyone you know and love in the fires of nuclear fire.
Brings back memories of Civilization I.

"We back our threats with nuclear weapons."

I wonder why they don't say that anymore?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rangaman said:
You know, with all the new leaders in this games, you would think that a new Indian leader would be on the tables. I guess not then.
Nuke-Gandhi is kind of the unoffical mascot of the Civ series.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
We come in peace! (Shoot to kill!)

- Ghandi

Rangaman said:
I would like Mola Ram from Temple of Doom.