There is No Warcraft Director's Cut

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
There is No Warcraft Director's Cut

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1346/1346776.jpg

Stop holding your breath: There won't be a Warcraft Director's Cut.

This year's $47.2 million at the domestic box office [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/17101-Warcraft-2016-Video-Game-Movie-Review]. Even many of the people who liked the movie thought it was a bit of a mess, and the news that there was a theoretical director's cut that was 40 minutes longer gave fans hope that we might eventually see that release on home video.

It shouldn't be surprising to learn that this isn't going to happen.

Warcraft is an incredibly effects-heavy film, and the majority of the scenes that wound up on the cutting room floor would have been excised before that effects work being done - that only makes financial sense. You want to have your final cut more or less set before you start putting in the work on the computers to generate your fantasy world. That only makes sense, and it's a sentiment that director The Thrillist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/duncan+jones]
:

There will never be a director's cut. With a film like this, where there are so many visual effects, every concession that you make you lose those shots. They cease to exist because the effects work never gets done.

So, for those hoping for a the film raked in $386.3 million overseas [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Heaven_(film)] - $220.8 million of which came from China.

There's speculation that an eventual sequel might not even open in America, although I struggle to believe it wouldn't get some release. It might be a cheaper movie and not feature American actors, but you'll be getting a particular group of people with the Warcraft name alone. It just isn't enough of a crowd to make back $100+ million.

[gallery=6447]

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Sadly, this makes economical sense. It still sucks for every other reason.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I just saw the movie last night and found it to be a surprisingly good movie, given all the hate I had heard.
8/10 for me.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Honestly if they just tightened up the pacing and didn't drown everyone in exposition for a sequel they'd probably earn some more cash. I'm a huge fan of the series but fuck me, the first 40 minutes is... not good. Not good at all. I had a hard time recommending it to people who weren't as into Warcraft because of that, so fixing that might help any potential sequels get a better reception.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Warcraft movie was an utter tragedy. They tried so hard to make the world's first faithful video game adaptation. What's the line from Chef in South Park? "You have the heart, but you don't have the soul. No no, you have the soul but you don't have the heart. No, scratch that. You have the heart and the soul, you just don't have the talent."

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Is this perhaps the reason why we still haven't seen a Jupiter Ascending director's cut as well?

Because I've been waiting to see Jupiter Ascending until I get the chance to watch a director's cut. I've heard from interviews how much nonsense happened on the cutting room floor thanks to ridiculous studio decisions. I want to see the Wachowski's true vision. But that's not going to happen then or what?
Silentpony said:
The Warcraft movie was an utter tragedy. They tried so hard to make the world's first faithful video game adaptation. What's the line from Chef in South Park? "You have the heart, but you don't have the soul. No no, you have the soul but you don't have the heart. No, scratch that. You have the heart and the soul, you just don't have the talent."
Duncan Jones does have talent though. Moon for instance was absolutely fantastic.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
They tried so hard to make the world's first faithful video game adaptation. "
EHEM:

But yes and the reason they failed a bit is because they hired such mediocre talant behind this movie and I place the blame entirely on the screenwriter and whoever was in charge of casting.

I mean look at this ************ of a screenwriter and his utterly shitty filmography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Leavitt

This is the guy you were trusting a potential film franchise to?! Fuck you Universal.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Cowabungaa said:
Is this perhaps the reason why we still haven't seen a Jupiter Ascending director's cut as well?

Because I've been waiting to see Jupiter Ascending until I get the chance to watch a director's cut. I've heard from interviews how much nonsense happened on the cutting room floor thanks to ridiculous studio decisions. I want to see the Wachowski's true vision. But that's not going to happen then or what?
Silentpony said:
Duncan Jones does have talent though. Moon for instance was absolutely fantastic.
But is he an Actor's director?

Like how appealing where the chararcters in Moon and Source Code were?

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Too bad, the movie was fun. I swear, people get so caught up on things being "the best/worst ever", that they forget there's place for nuance inbetween.

Anyway, I was looking forward to see that scene of Chesney Hawkes as a bard playing "I Am The One and Only" that they cut.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Uh Hum:

Omg, I love when Sub turns his head and it starts the bass. Dundundundundundun dundundundundun dundun dundun dundundundun
Almost as hype as the start of the Reptile fight.

OP: It is a shame they aren't because Director's Cuts are never a bad idea, but obviously you can't if there aren't actually any scenes to add.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
But is he an Actor's director?

Like how appealing where the chararcters in Moon and Source Code were?
I can't speak for Source Code, but in Moon I definitely think so. It wouldn't have been a good movie otherwise considering it's pretty much a character piece. It's all about Sam Bell.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I liked it, but I felt like it skipped ahead a lot and glossed over a lot of important details. It would have benefitted from being significantly longer.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
The world's first faithful video game adaptation.
*Cough*

The world's second faithful video game adaptation. A crappy sequel does not a success eliminate.

Also, an honorable mention shall go to the late Raul Julia for his work.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I still think they should make Warcraft 2...if only to make Warcraft 3, the one everyone would want to see the most anyways.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Disappointing, but understandable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard continued the movieverse storyline in EU format though. It already has its own expanded universe, so it's ripe for AU/AR-type stories. Though I don't think that's a story that needs to be told.

Now where's my StarCraft TV series?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Saelune said:
I still think they should make Warcraft 2...if only to make Warcraft 3, the one everyone would want to see the most anyways.
Most people are waiting for Warcraft 4. Oh, you meant the movie. I suppose that too.

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
I think the biggest thing for me about the film was the humans just looked and acted like LARPers (some of that dialogue... sheesh), the Orcs stole the show - I reckon if the humans were CGI'd the same was and Durotan and chums they wouldn't look so out of place and could probably get away with some of the cheesier dialogue too.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Eh, not a big loss IMO. Director's cuts don't fix bad acting and rarely fix uninteresting characters.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RedDeadFred said:
Eh, not a big loss IMO. Director's cuts don't fix bad acting and rarely fix uninteresting characters.
Yes if director's cuts makes said uninteresting charcaters with more flavor.

Like crucial scenes of charcater development could have happnened.

But than again what kind of charcaters do you find interesting?