Fallout 4 Still Has No Mods on PS4, But Bethesda Wants Them "As Fast As Humanly Possible"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fallout 4 Still Has No Mods on PS4, But Bethesda Wants Them "As Fast As Humanly Possible"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1347/1347794.jpgBethesda VP Pete Hines says that the PS4 mod program for Fallout 4 is still under "evaluation."

Ever since Fallout 4 mods working on it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167573-Fallout-4-Mods-Now-Live-on-Xbox-One].

In a new interview with Metro [http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/07/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-were-only-going-to-make-games-that-we-think-raise-to-a-certain-level-of-quality-6113553/], Bethesda Vice President of PR and Marketing Pete Hines wasn't able to shed any new light on the situation. When asked if Sony was holding up mods or if the problem was with Bethesda, Hines simply said,

"All I can say is that it is undergoing an evaluation process and as soon as it's done, and we have more info, we're gonna let everyone know."

He was then asked if it was a technical issue, or if the company had decided not to move forward with mods. Hines replied,

"We haven't said. [laughs] It's definitely not that we've decided not to do it, we absolutely, positively want to get PS4 mods out as fast as humanely possible."

Mods have been fairly successful so far on Xbox One, so it stands to reason that Bethesda would want to get them out on PS4 as soon as possible. It's unlikely that we'll ever hear exactly what has held them up this long, but hopefully Bethesda and Sony will figure out the issues soon.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
While I do like Playstation, Sony's penchant for making their stuff fairly proprietary hampers them in the areas of backwards compatibility and now modding. Microsoft, for its faults, managed to do both BC and modding with a bit of ease in comparison.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Well that's a relief, I mean, coding problems have never gone horribly wrong because some executive who knows shit-all about system engineering said to do something 'as fast as humanly possible', right?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Knowing Bethesda, they'll botch the Skyrim remaster for PS4 as well.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
RaikuFA said:
For the players' sake, hopefully they'll be able to use the same system they are working on with Fallout 4, so it'll be supported right from the start.

OT: I guess it depends on what you're into with modding, but as of now, I don't know if there's any must have mods anyway. There's a lot of crafting and settlement stuff, so if that's you're thing, then I guess you're missing out right now. Of course, there's a bunch of graphical things too, but I kinda doubt the PS4 will run most of those anyway.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
While I do like Playstation, Sony's penchant for making their stuff fairly proprietary hampers them in the areas of backwards compatibility and now modding. Microsoft, for its faults, managed to do both BC and modding with a bit of ease in comparison.
Frankly this is more of a Bethesda problem than a Sony problem. They seem to be the only major AAA company that people give slack when it comes to screwing PS players of their games. Major glitches on the PS version of Skyrim, DLC issues with the PS3 versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc.

I think we should expect better from Bethesda, because most companies can release features on multiplatform titles equally.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Frankly this is more of a Bethesda problem than a Sony problem. They seem to be the only major AAA company that people give slack when it comes to screwing PS players of their games. Major glitches on the PS version of Skyrim, DLC issues with the PS3 versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc.

I think we should expect better from Bethesda, because most companies can release features on multiplatform titles equally.
The real problem with getting mods on PS4 actually IS Sony. They've made their system with mostly proprietary hardware and software,and they jealously guard said secrets,when a system like Bethesda Net requires access to them. Yes,Bethesda makes buggy and often incomplete-feeling games. But that IS NOT THE ISSUE AT HAND,so kindly step off of your soapbox. The issue at hand is the simple fact that Sony has literally made it as hard as possible for ANYONE to do something like this with their platform.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:

Skyrim's issues on PS3 were due to the console's low memory, so they patched out the feature in Skyrim that saved persistent data at a certain file size. I forget the DLC issues on Skyrim but a lot of NV's issues were again due to low memory (also recall NV wasn't developed by Bethesda but rather Obsidian so wrong blame assigned on that score).

PS3 and PS4 both have issues that wouldn't be so hard to solve were Sony not so proprietary in the way they handle things. A major obstacle in the way of mods right now, IIRC is due to the odd audio codec PS4 uses that somehow fucks with mods. Its not the only thing but its a major thing. Sony goes out of its way to make their consoles "unique" which hampers developers in weird ways when they've no reason not to use standard things.
Its not Bethesda's fault Sony wants to be a special snowflake.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Again, I can't blame Bethesda for the delays. Sony uses propriety tech, mixed with the already potentially buggy nature of mods and you've got a recipe for disaster. Hopefully the next time around Sony learns from this.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
RaikuFA said:
For the players' sake, hopefully they'll be able to use the same system they are working on with Fallout 4, so it'll be supported right from the start.

OT: I guess it depends on what you're into with modding, but as of now, I don't know if there's any must have mods anyway. There's a lot of crafting and settlement stuff, so if that's you're thing, then I guess you're missing out right now. Of course, there's a bunch of graphical things too, but I kinda doubt the PS4 will run most of those anyway.
I doubt it. They should just hire people who know how to code on Sony consoles.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
RaikuFA said:
RedDeadFred said:
RaikuFA said:

Welp, now it seems that not only are they capable of providing mod support right now, they've been able to do it for a while. It's all on Sony not allowing it. Why they'd be any more strict about it than MS, we can only guess.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
RaikuFA said:
RedDeadFred said:
RaikuFA said:

Welp, now it seems that not only are they capable of providing mod support right now, they've been able to do it for a while. It's all on Sony not allowing it. Why they'd be any more strict about it than MS, we can only guess.
My guess is they told everyone this so Sony would finally give Bethesda the greenlight to release them.