Sully - Should Clint Eastwood Retire?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Sully - Should Clint Eastwood Retire?

Sully has approximately 200 seconds of good filmmaking. The rest is horrid - even if the real-life story is incredible.

Read Full Article

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
All it does is reiterate that real life is full of haters, just like the internet.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Why did the title have a cheap shot at Clint Eastwood, then not mention him again? It sounded needlessly catty.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Why did the title have a cheap shot at Clint Eastwood, then not mention him again? It sounded needlessly catty.
1) Not a shot. A question.
2) Final two lines in the review: "Clint Eastwood hasn't made anything more than a serviceable movie in almost a decade. Maybe it's time to hang it up."

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I think Clint Eastwood needs to stick to fiction.

I also think the same of Tom Hanks. Unless he is trying for some anthology of playing real life "heroes" that are "humble".

Though he was beaten to Snowden by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Maybe he felt Snowden wasnt "humbly heroic" enough.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I just came back from watching it. I loved it! It did a great job of creating that "you are there" feeling. There is a stoic feel to the movie. It doesn't verbally say much. However, the message of the movie is loud and clear. It has a positive message about heroism. As Marter pointed out, this isn't a juicy story. There is no deep social message here. Sometimes, that is a good thing. Not everything has to be political. It's a well-made movie, based on a true story, about a man who was in a life-or-death situation with 155 people lives in the balance.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
KissingSunlight said:
I just came back from watching it. I loved it! It did a great job of creating that "you are there" feeling. There is a stoic feel to the movie. It doesn't verbally say much. However, the message of the movie is loud and clear. It has a positive message about heroism. As Marter pointed out, this isn't a juicy story. There is no deep social message here. Sometimes, that is a good thing. Not everything has to be political. It's a well-made movie, based on a true story, about a man who was in a life-or-death situation with 155 people lives in the balance.
From what I've heard the problem isn't that they try to make a hero out of a man, but they try to make a villain out of people doing their job.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
MCerberus said:
KissingSunlight said:
From what I've heard the problem isn't that they try to make a hero out of a man, but they try to make a villain out of people doing their job.
I didn't feel that they were villains. The panel of people was motivated to have that incident to be proved that Sully didn't have to land the plane in the Hudson River. More antagonists than mustache-twirlers.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
KissingSunlight said:
I didn't feel that they were villains. The panel of people was motivated to have that incident to be proved that Sully didn't have to land the plane in the Hudson River. More antagonists than mustache-twirlers.[/quote]

Something to do with insurance I think - there's an implied vested interest that if they can prove Sully didn't have to land in the Hudson, United Airlines doesn't need to be compensated for the plane or somesuch. I do agree that they were presented a bit too antagonistically, but not to the point of excess.

So, on that note, having seen the film today it's...okay. I agree with Marter's review, if not the score. It feels way too stretched out, what with the constant flashbacks to the crash, to the unnecessary flashbacks to Sully's past plane jobs, to even some of the passengers. There's no tension with them because even if you don't know anything about the historical event, it's established from the outset that everyone survived the crash. I feel the film suffers a bit as it's torn between delving into the incident and investigation, and Sully's character. Both are effectively explored separately and can exist independent of one another.

So, it's fine. Decent, but it's not going to be one of the more memorable films I've seen Tom Hanks in (and after Bridge of Spies last year, that's some very stiff competition).