When the Bough Breaks - Will This Year's "Black Stalker Thriller" Be Good?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
When the Bough Breaks - Will This Year's "Black Stalker Thriller" Be Good?

When the Bough Breaks is this year's "black stalker thriller." Is it any better than the last couple?

Read Full Article

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
You or I are free to hate these movies all we want obviously, but I'm not entirely sure if it's totally cool to start talking about "undeserved audiences" and the like. Treating this "audience" like it's some special prize to be won and earned, especially when this is the same "audience" that made Tyler Perry insanely rich, it might be worth it to just consider that this "audience" just may see things in these movies that you don't.

EDIT: This post was based on a misunderstanding.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
hentropy said:
You or I are free to hate these movies all we want obviously, but I'm not entirely sure if it's totally cool to start talking about "undeserved audiences" and the like. Treating this "audience" like it's some special prize to be won and earned, especially when this is the same "audience" that made Tyler Perry insanely rich, it might be worth it to just consider that this "audience" just may see things in these movies that you don't.
I didn't call them "undeserved." I called them underserved. As in, it's an audience that doesn't get a lot of movies targeted at it. Which is just statistically true.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Marter said:
hentropy said:
I didn't call them "undeserved." I called them underserved. As in, it's an audience that doesn't get a lot of movies targeted at it. Which is just statistically true.
Ahh. That's my mistake then, sorry.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
So what was the big flop at the end? It's okay, you can spoil it. We know you want to. No one's going to see the thing anyway.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
JCAll said:
So what was the big flop at the end? It's okay, you can spoil it. We know you want to. No one's going to see the thing anyway.
It's projected to make somewhere close to $15 million for the weekend. That's not nothing. But you're right: very little of that money is going to come from here.

Basically, after the wife finds out that Anna's been stalking/sexting/whatever her husband, she decides to force her husband to try to make Anna believe he loves her, in order to ensure that she still gives the baby to him (at which point he'd say he lied and would take the baby back to the wife). That lasts for all of five minutes, after which point she finds out and goes to hide away. The married couple find her and try to steal the now-born baby, which results in a brief fight - with constant baby shrieking - and culminates in the wife running over Anna with the car. We then cut to morning, where husband and wife sit with the baby, police sirens are in the background, and then the credits roll. This is all executed with a complete lack of suspense and thrills, and generates nothing but apathy from the audience.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
When the CW Network debuted, it featured a lot of predominately black TV series that were mostly awful. I joked at the time. These shows are cultural important. They demonstrate that black people can make and star in bad TV shows. This movie echoes that sentiment. I am sure people who are a sucker for a thriller about a stalker would like it.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Marter said:
It's projected to make somewhere close to $15 million for the weekend. That's not nothing. But you're right: very little of that money is going to come from here.
That's even more boring and cliched than I was expecting. Oh dear. I mean, I can enjoy a bad movie, but not a boring one.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sounds like a straight to daytime TV kind of film. The type that, if you ever find yourself experiencing (often with, but not always limited to, an old person or couple), brings on a creeping existential dread no horror story could ever dream of achieving.