The Last Guardian Delayed to December

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Last Guardian Delayed to December

The Last Guardian has a new release date of December 6, 2016.

First announced at E3 2009, The Last Guardian had become a Half-Life 3-type urban legend in the game industry for some time. Back in June, however, Sony announced that the game would officially release on October 25. In a post on the PlayStation Blog today [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/12/an-update-on-the-last-guardian/], SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida revealed that The Last Guardian will receive (hopefully) one final delay, in order to "deliver the most polished experience possible."

You can read the announcement in its entirety below:

"The Last Guardian development team is fast approaching major milestones in production and has made the tough decision to delay the release of The Last Guardian a few weeks. The Last Guardian will launch on December 6, 2016.

Fumito Ueda (gen Design) and Japan Studio have a wonderful vision for The Last Guardian's touching, emotional journey of friendship and trust, and we want to deliver the most polished experience possible for our fans who have supported us for so long. A delay is a difficult decision, particularly with this game, but we have encountered more bugs than anticipated while in the final stages of development. To ensure that The Last Guardian delivers on the experience that the game's creators have envisioned, we need to take the extra time to work on those issues.

Our development continues to push itself to the fullest and we look forward to revealing new content toward launch.

We appreciate your continued support."

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I can't decide if I should be angry because it's already been 7 years(which should be plenty of time to finish any game unless you're Valve) or not give a shit because after 7 years, what does another month matter?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
just cancel the damn game already, there's no way it'll live up to everyone's expectations.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
and here I thought I'd have something to tide me over until FF15 came out. Next Zero Dawn will be delayed till 2018.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Hey,could anyone check Twitter for me and see whose kicking up a storm over this?

Because I'm pretty sure someone is kicking up a storm over this.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Square and Sony really took ques from each other on this whole "let's wait forever to release a game and delay it in the final days of development" thing.

I'll say the same for this game as I did for Final Fantasy 15, I've waited this long, what's a few more months?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
In not laughing. Really. There's nothing funny about this at all. Nope. Nothing comical. Nothing that could be accurately described as a comedy of errors.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
thewatergamer said:
and so the cycle begins anew...
Sure seems like it. New fuel for the hype machine. At this point, people complaining about delays worries me, since it sounds like a recipe for another unfinished game.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well then my pact I made with myself that I would not buy another Sony console until The Last Guardian is released will stay in place until at least December. My watch continues...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm not too upset. There's like three other games come by around around the same time it was set to that I'm interested in. This just means makes my decision (no way I have the time/money to buy them all) that much easier.

One of those games is Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and if they improve on the first, it should be great, especially for Dragon Ball fans.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
GZGoten said:
just cancel the damn game already, there's no way it'll live up to everyone's expectations.
And swallow that much money they poured into the production thus far without even trying to gain any back? Like YOU'D do that.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
lacktheknack said:
GZGoten said:
And swallow that much money they poured into the production thus far without even trying to gain any back? Like YOU'D do that.
how much could they have possibly wasted on this already? I doubt they had a full time team of employees working on nothing else but this game for nearly a decade.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
GZGoten said:
lacktheknack said:
GZGoten said:
how much could they have possibly wasted on this already? I doubt they had a full time team of employees working on nothing else but this game for nearly a decade.
Millions on millions on millions.

It's been in production for over seven years! Even if they had three dudes working on it all this time (and not a likely average twenty times that), that's easily a million bucks right there.

EDIT: Here.

http://ps4daily.com/2015/06/sony-the-last-guardian-needs-to-sell-better-than-ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus/

Sony specifically says that "the amounts of money are just too great."

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The sky is blue, grass is green and if this game launches before 2017 I'll buy a hat for the sole purpose of eating it. It feels like this game is being made by Square Enix: Here's an interesting looking game! It'll be ready to show off in about 5 years and we'll launch it in about 7.