If You Bought a Nvidia GTX 970, it's Time to Submit Your $30 Settlement Claim

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
If You Bought a Nvidia GTX 970, it's Time to Submit Your $30 Settlement Claim

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1349/1349081.jpgAnyone who purchased a GeForce GTX 970 video card between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016 is eligible for a class-action settlement.

If you bought a GeForce GTX 970 anytime between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016, you're included in the settlement of a class-action suit against Nvidia. It stems from the memory configuration on the GTX 970, which was advertised as having 4 GB of GDDR5 memory. But 512 MB of that onboard memory was measurably slower than the rest of the RAM. It also turned out that the card had less ROPs and L2 cache than the GTX 980 (It gets a little technical, but if you want to dig deeper, this Anandtech [http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/2] article is good place to start). The short version is that when games used over 3.5GB of RAM, performance slowdowns could happen.

When all this news came to light, it led to a class-action lawsuit being filed against Nvidia. The company has reached a settlement, and under the terms of that settlement, purchasers will receive a $30 refund for each card purchased. This applies to any GTX 970 sold by an authorized retailer in the US between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016. It includes cards brand by any of Nvidia's hardware partners. Those would be Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, Innovision Multimedia, Palit, PC Partner Group, Manli Technology Group, PNY, and Zotac, along with the subsidiaries of each.

You can submit a claim for every qualifying card you bought, but you'll need proof of purchase for each on. You need to have your claim submitted by November 30, 2016. If you want to opt out and retain your right to sue, you need to do that by Nov. 8.

You can get all the info on the claim and settlement by this link [https://www.gtx970settlement.com/Home.aspx].

The settlement is still subject to a final approval hearing, which is set to take place on December 7.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I qualify. Had no idea this was a thing. $30 is not worth the effort, lol.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fappy said:
I qualify. Had no idea this was a thing. $30 is not worth the effort, lol.
I have 3 of them. I submitted it in literally 2 minutes.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
In some cases, particularly with online orders, your retailer may send you an email with a claim number. This will be easier than having to hunt down proof yourself, so if you're feeling lazy, that's the way to go. No harm waiting for that, as claims can be filed until the end of November. That's two and a half months.

P.S. Thanks

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Quiet Stranger said:
I have a GTX 760... is that any good? Was it part of any settlement?
No. It's only for the 970 because of the effective ram amount being in contrast to the advertised ram amount.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Covarr said:
In some cases, particularly with online orders, your retailer may send you an email with a claim number. This will be easier than having to hunt down proof yourself, so if you're feeling lazy, that's the way to go. No harm waiting for that, as claims can be filed until the end of November. That's two and a half months.

P.S. Thanks
Alternatively, you can go to the online retailer and pull the invoice from your account (at least for NewEgg or Amazon, which I used). You can upload that.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
I did this purely because mine came with a free pre-order copy of Arkham Knight. Nvidia I blame you for that being on my steam account you bastards.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Just checked and you have to be a U.S. resident for this which is annoying. My 970 is great and everything but I still want free money!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
K12 said:
Just checked and you have to be a U.S. resident for this which is annoying. My 970 is great and everything but I still want free money!
Is this any great surprise? The lawsuit was filed in an American court. The US court system has no jurisdiction anywhere else.

P.S. Thanks

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Heh, and here I am about to sell my own cards on ebay. Whelp, if I had purchased those cards and discovered the 3.5GB limit (with the slow 512) then it would have been completely unusable as a GPU rendering device. Since I no longer do that I am getting rid of my older cards.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
BoogieManFL said:
Doesn't affect me, but how does $30 possibly make up for all of that? Seems insulting.
Yeah, it's like "you bought our product on false knowledge, here's a fraction of what the fan costs back."

Well, I could've got free money, but I bought a GTX 960 and I'm in Australia. Boo!

Whelp

Feb 16, 2009
Cether said:
I did this purely because mine came with a free pre-order copy of Arkham Knight. Nvidia I blame you for that being on my steam account you bastards.
It's actually a really good game. Now.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
BoogieManFL said:
Doesn't affect me, but how does $30 possibly make up for all of that? Seems insulting.
It's still a very good card and still does a great job compared to similarly-priced cards. It's not like the cards are completely fucked and don't work at all, it's just when they get above 3.5 gig VRM you might experience a slight slowdown. I think a $30 rebate is a reasonable action.

That said I'm an Australian and would like my free money please.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Eh, I bought a 970 but I knew what I was getting. For most games he Framerate deteriorated long before vram usage went over 3.5gb anyway. Nvidia can keep their $30, I've got a 1070 now.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
BoogieManFL said:
It's still a very good card and still does a great job compared to similarly-priced cards. It's not like the cards are completely fucked and don't work at all, it's just when they get above 3.5 gig VRM you might experience a slight slowdown. I think a $30 rebate is a reasonable action.

That said I'm an Australian and would like my free money please.
It all depends on what you bought the card for.
For 1080p gaming having 512MB less ram shouldn't make any difference as the cards other bottlenecks would kick in sooner, so in a way these people are just getting $30 back for practically nothing (though I'm still very much against Nvidia for trying to hide stuff like this).

However, for people who bought 970's for high-res gaming, like dual card SLI for 4K, this is an issue that $60 wont fix - they need to buy whole new hardware for that.