Destiny: Rise of Iron Launches Next Week, but You Can Watch the Launch Trailer Now

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Destiny: Rise of Iron Launches Next Week, but You Can Watch the Launch Trailer Now

With the launch of Destiny's Rise of Iron expansion less than a week away, Bungie and Activision have released the launch trailer.

The new Rise of Iron expansion for Destiny is launching next week. It will add a new cinematic story campaign, The Plaguelands location, the Felwinter Peak social space, a new six-player raid, new and remastered three-player co-operative Strikes, and lots of new customization options.

We learned back in June that this expansion would not be coming to PS3 or Xbox 360 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167662-Destiny-Rise-of-Iron-Expansion-Announced-Not-Coming-to-PS3-360], but it will be coming to PS4 and Xbox One next Tuesday, September 20.

Also releasing on September 20 is Destiny: The Collection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168051-Destiny-The-Collection-Spotted-on-Amazon-for-PS4-and-Xbox-One] for PS4 and Xbox One, which includes the base game and all the expansions.

[gallery=6483]

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
In before "HURR fuckin DURR who even plays Destiny anymore"

Those cinematics of the previous Iron Lords look amazing. Jolder seems like a beast
Looking forward to this expansion very much

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
But is there an in-game way to find people to play with?

I still really hate using the mobile app or a third-party website in order to fill spots in a raid.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Klagermeister said:
Well why would they? Warframe is a much better game and doesnt use expansions to scalp players who want to keep access to the content they already paid for.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um, Iron Lords? If you're fighting a plague, maybe keep your helmets on? Just saying.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
gigastar said:
Klagermeister said:
Well why would they? Warframe is a much better game and doesnt use expansions to scalp players who want to keep access to the content they already paid for.
Destiney has better gunplay and far less grind. Plus more story. And more varied environments. And worthwhile pvp... you know lot, I'm just gonna go with "lots of reasons". Plus, unless I missed a trick, you can still play all the old content with older versions of Destiny. My buddy just started with an old copy.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
altnameJag said:
gigastar said:
Klagermeister said:
Destiney has better gunplay
I always found 'gunplay' to be a meaningless term. Mostly because people never seem to explain what they mean by it and its mostly just thier own standards.

altnameJag said:
and far less grind.
If youre referring to the Void, that got shitcanned in July. The system that replaced it is, on the whole, far less grindy as long as you know where to find what youre looking for.

altnameJag said:
Plus more story.
And how much of this is actually in the game? Nevermind that quanitity doesnt trump quality in this case.

altnameJag said:
And more varied environments.
And you jdging this metric by number of named locations or actual physically different levels/tilesets there are?

altnameJag said:
And worthwhile pvp...
Probably true. Thats low hanging fruit though.

altnameJag said:
you know lot, I'm just gonna go with "lots of reasons".
Seems to me you ran out of points you think i cant counter you on.

altnameJag said:
Plus, unless I missed a trick, you can still play all the old content with older versions of Destiny. My buddy just started with an old copy.
Well then unless something changed (and this being Activision thats highly unlikely) your friend will not be able to access the raid(s?) that were part of the base game until he purchases the requisite expansions.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...wait, when did a pissing match between Guardians and Tenno start up? Just fuckin' play both, they've got their own strengths and weaknesses, all the 'Hurptie-ho, x is better than y!' doesn't make a lick of sense.

OT: I'm quite keen for this - one of the few games I've actually pre-ordered, since I've had so much fun playing around in it. Kiiinda wish there was some kind of match-making for the Raids (only have 3 buddies to play with), but given how their mechanics work (read: need lots of communication) I can get why they only throw you into pugs for Strikes and Crucible.

And damn, I want those armour sets so badly. FashionframeGuardian gotta be on point, dammit!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
gigastar said:
That argument never held water, and it holds even less with every stupid time waster DE bolts on to WF instead of fixing the massive underlying problems. And how about that last disasterpiece of a major patch? "We changed Archwing guys! Don't worry, it's still garbage but now it gives you motion sickness!" I have over 100 hours in Warframe, I want to like that game, but damn DE is incompetent to the point of comedy.
Well then unless something changed (and this being Activision thats highly unlikely) your friend will not be able to access the raid(s?) that were part of the base game until he purchases the requisite expansions.
I'm almost positive you can run vault of glass no matter what expansions you have. Although good luck finding anyone to play with considering the old raids are largely worthless now as a consequence of the game's MMO like expansion structure. Which reminds me, another thing Destiny has that Warframe couldn't manage is raids that aren't a complete joke.

OT: Looking to be another great expansion on the level of TTK. I might be the only one, but I'm also excited for the accompanying balance patch since it looks like a concentrated effort is being made to make sidearms worthwhile in PvE. I always loved the way that family of weapons handled so it would be nice to use them without gimping myself.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
...wait, when did a pissing match between Guardians and Tenno start up? Just fuckin' play both, they've got their own strengths and weaknesses, all the 'Hurptie-ho, x is better than y!' doesn't make a lick of sense.
Well Destiny and Warframe are in the same space as sci-fi co-op focused games. And not everyone has time for both.

Also im pretty murderously certain that Destiny still isnt on PC. Cant think why what with the highly vindictive player base and Warframe holding a space in the Steams top 10 most played games fairly consistently.

major_chaos said:
gigastar said:
That argument never held water, and it holds even less with every stupid time waster DE bolts on to WF instead of fixing the massive underlying problems. And how about that last disasterpiece of a major patch? "We changed Archwing guys! Don't worry, it's still garbage but now it gives you motion sickness!"
The Silver Grove was pretty solid on the whole. Well yeah less major changes, but far less that needed patching in the following days.

Oh you mean Specters of the Rail. Well with some obvious oversights aside, i feel the changes made to Archwing and Prime acquisition made the game better on the whole.

For Archwing in particular you have to note that PC actually has games which will divorce you from any sense of orientation, so i went into the new Archwing and the contents of my stomach remained settled..

major_chaos said:
I have over 100 hours in Warframe, I want to like that game, but damn DE is incompetent to the point of comedy.
The chaos of ongoing development is almost one of the main reasons to keep playing. Well, on PC it is.

major_chaos said:
I'm almost positive you can run vault of glass no matter what expansions you have.
Alright i did some digging on this and found that what i meant was in fact theese things called Strikes.

major_chaos said:
Although good luck finding anyone to play with considering the old raids are largely worthless now as a consequence of the game's MMO like expansion structure.
Meanwhile The Law of Retribution and The Jordas Verdict will always remain relevant due to the specific Arcane enhancements exclusive to them.

Oh and Destiny still doesnt have an ingame communication system? Like, really?

major_chaos said:
Which reminds me, another thing Destiny has that Warframe couldn't manage is raids that aren't a complete joke.
By your own admission the raids in Destiny are made obselete with each new one.

As i said, trails in Warframe retain thier own unique and desirable drops which, due to thier nature, cannot be made obselete.

Now if you ask me, dead content is more of a joke than whatever you think makes WF's trails a joke.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
gigastar said:
altnameJag said:
="altnameJag"
altnameJag said:
you know lot, I'm just gonna go with "lots of reasons".
Seems to me you ran out of points you think i cant counter you on.
Yes, you've countered my personal preference in video games. What was I thinking. Now, off to the game I spent 200 hours playing so I can run the same context-less, procedurally generated Spy mission.

Sarcasm aside, I actually like Warframe quite a bit. I was just answering your question of "Well why would they." Considering the number of MMOs I've played, the odd "for funsies" raid that doesn't give useful gear doesn't bother me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
altnameJag said:
Sarcasm aside, I actually like Warframe quite a bit. I was just answering your question of "Well why would they." Considering the number of MMOs I've played, the odd "for funsies" raid that doesn't give useful gear doesn't bother me.
Well thats fine and all but it still doesnt change that the answers you gave were nothing short of rediculous.

Not to mention you could have just told me why people still play Destiny instead of insinuating that its somehow superior to Warframe.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
gigastar said:
altnameJag said:
Well thats fine and all but it still doesnt change that the answers you gave were nothing short of rediculous.

Not to mention you could have just told me why people still play Destiny...
...I did? That's literally a list of things I like better in Destiny compared to Warframe. Individual missions have a set purpose, instead of "just like that other mission, except the layout is jumbled", including story reasons for why you're missioning instead of spying for indeterminate information. The grind is less obtrusive, the act of shooting the bad guys feels meatier, the story is more cohesive, etc... (Do I have to append this with "in my opinion" or can that be taken for granted?)
...instead of insinuating that its somehow superior to Warframe.
gigastar said:
Klagermeister said:

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
gigastar said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Well Destiny and Warframe are in the same space as sci-fi co-op focused games. And not everyone has time for both.

Also im pretty murderously certain that Destiny still isnt on PC. Cant think why what with the highly vindictive player base and Warframe holding a space in the Steams top 10 most played games fairly consistently.
...or because it's made by Bungie, and Bungie hasn't put a game on PC since Halo 2. In 2007.

And besides genre... do they do anything similar to each other? At all? Shit, I've played both for a couple years now, and the only thing I can think of is they both fuck people over in terms of story - Destiny locks theirs behind Grimoire cards that you can only access out of game (which is fucking stupid) while Warframe locks far too much behind unrepeatable events that went down a year and a half ago (Sure, the quests are nice, but how the hell is a new player supposed to know who, say, Sargas Ruk is?). Other than that... they have raids and grinding? Hardly the most... exclusive things to pin a rivalry on.

Just sayin', a pissing match between Warframe and Destiny is just... such a waste of time, you know? Much better to just crack open some Relics or go Exotic Hunting, really. Leave the pithy slap-fight for the CoD-Boys and Battlefield-Bros.

[sub][sub]CoD for life, motherfuckers![/sub][/sub]

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
gigastar said:
major_chaos said:
I'm almost positive you can run vault of glass no matter what expansions you have.
Alright i did some digging on this and found that what i meant was in fact theese things called Strikes.
You can do all the Strikes for whatever expansions you have.

You can't do the Weekly stuff that gives rewards leveled to the current endgame.

Unless your buddy is playing on a used disc copy to try it out (in which case, they could play the demo mode), they'd most likely buy the current release that has all the expansions anyways.

The first raid (Vault of Glass) has a new quest in it thats relevant, not sure about Crota's End. If you're into PvP, I think there's guns in both that people run them for (PvP standard being equalized for damage and not level dependent)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Cool thing is, with the leveling-buff-disguised-as-a-plague Owl Sec, I can go through all the original content with an alt - something I haven't done since launch, and be leveled in due time for the expansion to launch. I hate using level boosters on alts. They feel cheap and I don't like being max level without learning my class first. If I really wanted to raid, I honestly don't mind using the chat groups on PSN or DestinyLFG.

One thing I learned from WoW is that players who used an LFG tool to raid were automatically second class citizens. Blizz tried adding zen levels to smooth the transition but it was still there. Bungie would have to do something similar - make the matchmaking raids a tier or two lower than the main one, with entire fight mechanics missing. Thanks but no. If I really want to raid I don't mind finding people to group with, especially with max level tutors fully willing to help new raiders learn fights in DestinyLFG, reducing the chance of a shouting match like what happens in WoW if you stand in the wrong spot.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wrex Brogan said:
...or because it's made by Bungie, and Bungie hasn't put a game on PC since Halo 2. In 2007.
I know this is really pedantic, but I don't think Bungie has put a game out on PC since Oni in 2001.

Halo PC was done by Gearbox (and a fine job they did), whilst Halo 2 PC was ported by an in house team at Microsoft, who famously hid a picture of a guy with his pants down in the map editor (real classy guys). Neither of them had a great deal of work done on them by Bungie.

I was hoping the split from Microsoft would see a return to PC releases, but in hindsight that was always unlikely.