Battlefield 1 Beta Had More Than 13 Million Players

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Battlefield 1 Beta Had More Than 13 Million Players

EA announced today that the Battlefield 1 beta drew more than 13 million players, making it the most successful beta in EA history.

Although it kicked off with a rocky start that included In a blog post today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168303-Battlefield-1-Beta-Starts-Poorly-as-DDoS-Attacks-Reportedly-Take-Servers-Down], senior producer Aleks Grondal revealed that a staggering 13.2 million players participated in the beta for Battlefield 1, making it the most successful beta in EA history.

"Looking at the moments you've been sharing we cannot help but feel humbled by the dedication you've shown. You've helped make this the biggest beta in EA's history - a huge feat," Grondal wrote. "It impressed us so much that we decided to put together an infographic with some of the most interesting stats we discovered."

According to the infographic, the beta saw 28.9 million melee kills, 23.8 million road kills, and 62.2 million kills by players who were on a horse. You can check out the full details below.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1349/1349807.jpg

Battlefield 1 releases worldwide on October 21 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Well that's certainly impressive!

I'm conflicted on the beta. Half the time I was having a blast as buildings burst into rubble and I was taking out tanks with my WWI themed anti-tank rifle as sandstorms brewed around me. The other half was filled with spawn camping, competent drivers turning tanks into unstoppable killing machines and sniper spam so bad I was sure scout was going to be the highest played class. We'll see how it all pans out. A lot of my complaints (specifically the prevalence of snipers) has more to do with the player base than the game. I think medics and supports need a boost to make them more attractive.

emeril322

Jul 12, 2012
10% medic, I think people didn't realize one of the best rifles in the entire game belonged to the medic. It had a long range scope and bi-pod, plus was semi-auto and like 2HKO.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
emeril322 said:
10% medic, I think people didn't realize one of the best rifles in the entire game belonged to the medic. It had a long range scope and bi-pod, plus was semi-auto and like 2HKO.
I think you're talking about the M1916?

I loved that gun, and the medic class in general. To me, they have the best weapons

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well, if a successful beta translate into a successful game(not necessarily true, but there is probably a correlation) I suspect we'll more FPS's set in less popular wars.

They might go the Assassin's Creed route and have a similar base game wearing a different coat of paint depending on what era they'll portray.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bedinsis said:
Well, if a successful beta translate into a successful game(not necessarily true, but there is probably a correlation) I suspect we'll more FPS's set in less popular wars.

They might go the Assassin's Creed route and have a similar base game wearing a different coat of paint depending on what era they'll portray.
They've mostly already done that. They've had WW2, Modern, future-spacey (2142 or whatever it was, and Battlefront basically).

I doubt they'll go back farther. They've already hamfistedly warped WW1 stuff to fit the military-shooter molds, it'd get really glaring if they gave earlier stuff the same treatment.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Seth Carter said:
Bedinsis said:

They've mostly already done that. They've had WW2, Modern, future-spacey (2142 or whatever it was, and Battlefront basically).

I doubt they'll go back farther. They've already hamfistedly warped WW1 stuff to fit the military-shooter molds, it'd get really glaring if they gave earlier stuff the same treatment.
In my opinion we can never have too much Nam in gaming. Vietnam seems out of fashion at the moment though.

I liked a lot of the beta but Im not sure Ill be buying it any time soon. I just think Im having more fun with Overwatch.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
To be honest, I didn't enjoy the beta all that much. Mostly because the guns either shoot sunshine and soft words or I've been spoiled by playing Battlefield 4 in hardcore mode. Besides the Sinai desert grew dull quite fast. Also I had the stupid notion that they would respect the historical weapons but the beta made me remember that this is Battlefield! It's the PLA using F2000s, Americans using AK-12s and Russians running around with Javelin launchers.