Blizzard is Now Offering Battle.net Battletag Name Changes - For a Price

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard is Now Offering Battle.net Battletag Name Changes - For a Price

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1350/1350579.jpgUsers will get one free name change before they have to start paying.

If you've been regretting the Battletag that you chose to represent yourself in Blizzard games, you're finally going to get the chance to change it. Blizzard announced on Friday that it will begin allowing players to change their tags, for a price.

The first time you change your name, it will be free. But if you decide to rebrand yourself in the future, each subsequent change will set you back $10. This will be the case even for newly created Battle.net accounts, or accounts created in the future.

When you change your name, your friends will automatically see it on their friends list, so you won't lose touch with anyone. It's also worth noting that you don't have to choose a unique name, as there is a numeric ID added to each Battletag to insure that there are no duplicates.

You can find more info on the new name change service over on Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20285860/paid-battletag%C2%AE-changes-now-available-9-16-2016].

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Gee, it's not like Steam has let us do this whenever we want. For free. For years now.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Good for them? As above, Steam has been doing this for years. Hell, even XBLA gives you one free name change.
Seems like Blizzard just lives in its own little world.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Xorph said:
Gee, it's not like Steam has let us do this whenever we want. For free. For years now.
Dont forget that you can even change the url for your Steam profile whenever you want too.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Xorph said:
To be fair, its a nickname. Unless I am mistaken, I dont think you can change your actual account name at all.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Saelune said:
Xorph said:
To be fair, its a nickname. Unless I am mistaken, I dont think you can change your actual account name at all.
Steam has three seperate things:
1. The Steam Nickname which you can change and the previous alias are even listed for your friends (Or they give you one themselves)
2. The Steam Account Page which shows the previous, but you can create a seperate link.
3. The Steam Account name, which you choose when you register and is never used anywhere else.

People can find you over the first, you can share your info via the second - and the third, unchangable thing is the unique identity of your account on a technical level.

And it's been like that basically since Steam came out. Not sure about #2, that might have come later.
And Blizzard apparently has the balls to force customers to pay for this.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Saelune said:
Xorph said:
True, but said account name is also only used internally and never shown to other users, much the same how Battle.net just uses your email to login.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bindal said:
Saelune said:
Xorph said:
1. The Steam Nickname which you can change and the previous alias are even listed for your friends (Or they give you one themselves)
2. The Steam Account Page which shows the previous, but you can create a seperate link.
3. The Steam Account name, which you choose when you register and is never used anywhere else.

People can find you over the first, you can share your info via the second - and the third, unchangable thing is the unique identity of your account on a technical level.

And it's been like that basically since Steam came out. Not sure about #2, that might have come later.
Xorph said:
Saelune said:
Xorph said:
True, but said account name is also only used internally and never shown to other users, much the same how Battle.net just uses your email to login.
I take more care into my account names than most people (no numbers or symbols for me, or either of you it seems), so I guess I mostly just dont care, cause I never change my name anyways.

Hell, I hate when people constantly change their steam name, or use it as some sort of notification method. But thats me.

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
Saelune said:
Bindal said:
Saelune said:
Xorph said:

Xorph said:
Saelune said:
Xorph said:
I take more care into my account names than most people (no numbers or symbols for me, or either of you it seems), so I guess I mostly just dont care, cause I never change my name anyways.

Hell, I hate when people constantly change their steam name, or use it as some sort of notification method. But thats me.
I know on Steam, and also on Skype, I have to set a note next to the peoples name because they change them all the time.
It's good that Blizzard will let people do that (albeit charging is silly), hopefully they'll let people do the same thing with notes though.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Silentpony said:
Good for them? As above, Steam has been doing this for years. Hell, even XBLA gives you one free name change.
It's said in the article that you have a free name-change.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
Xorph said:
And in all honesty, it's the fucking worst thing. After a month or so I don't even know who half of the people on my Steam friends list are, because the fuckos keep changing their screen names.

If you want name changes, then the paywall is a nice thing there to stop players from changing their name every 5 seconds. Having a singular free name change as a buffer is entirely fair.

Only thing that gets me is how long this took to implement. I've had a B.net account for 6 years, and to my memory, I've only ever received a singular name change for SC2 (years ago), and a singular name change for B.net (recently). Better late than never, I guess.
From my experience it's never been that bad, if I have a friend who changes their name a lot I just add a nickname noting who it is, but even then the only people on my friends list who change their names with any degree of frequency are my IRL friends, and 90% of the time it's because we're putting together sets of silly names for when we play multiplayer together.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Newage said:
Silentpony said:
It's said in the article that you have a free name-change.
Yes. ONE. If you have an account already.
Steam? You can change your name every five minutes for several months and never pay a dime.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Bindal said:
Yes. ONE. If you have an account already.
Steam? You can change your name every five minutes for several months and never pay a dime.
The person I replied had obviously not read the article, considering he said "even XBLA has 1 free name change", implying Blizzard was not doing this (which is not true).

I know how Steam works. I've been using it for a decade. And constant name-changing on my friend's list is one of the more annoying thing I have to deal with regarding the platform. I would actually prefer if they could choose 1 name and stick to it.