Gears of War 4 Has Splitscreen Co-Op on PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Gears of War 4 Has Splitscreen Co-Op on PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/93/93398.jpg
Couch co-op fans rejoice: you'll be able to enjoy splitscreen co-op on the PC version of Gears of War 4.

Us PC gamers don't ask for much, simply that we can enjoy the same features and games console gamers do (in glorious 4K 60FPS of course). With "Steamboxes" on the rise, there are just as many PC gamers gaming from their couches as their desks. Unfortunately, developers often shun the holy grail of couch gaming, splitscreen co-op, for the PC versions of their games. Fortunately, Gears of War 4 will not, as Microsoft has confirmed that the PC version will include the feature.

In addition, the PC version will also feature LAN play and cross-play with the Xbox One. "From a development standpoint, it is quite difficult to support," Technical director Mike Rayner told PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/gears-of-war-4s-campaign-will-have-split-screen-co-op-on-pc/], adding that it was a "labor of love".

"We have to deal with multiple inputs, we have to deal with focus, we have to deal with UI placement. Developers have got to put some effort into it to do it right, it's not just something you can tack on."

As someone who has his PC hooked up to his TV and loves to play co-op on the couch with his friends, I really appreciate Microsoft putting in the effort to make this feature possible!

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/gears-of-war-4s-campaign-will-have-split-screen-co-op-on-pc/]

Sep 14, 2009

Damn son, that went from "not caring anymore at all" to "really gonna check this out to see if it's a good game"

the co op from the first game had hours upon hours of fun between friends and I, this will be perfect for my brother and I to play when we need a break from multiplayer games.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
gmaverick019 said:

Damn son, that went from "not caring anymore at all" to "really gonna check this out to see if it's a good game"

the co op from the first game had hours upon hours of fun between friends and I, this will be perfect for my brother and I to play when we need a break from multiplayer games.
I don't have anyone to play it with, but the fact it has local co-op makes me actually want to pay attention to the game now as well.

Alek The Great

May 24, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Fortunately, Gears of War 4 will not, developer Epic games confirming that the PC version will include the feature.
I think there is a mistake here. Epic sold the Gears of War IP to Microsoft a while ago and the developer of Gears of War 4 is The Coalition (aka Black Tusk Studios), so not sure why Epic is referenced here? The source didn't mention Epic games in any shape or form either.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Alek The Great said:
Steven Bogos said:
Fortunately, Gears of War 4 will not, developer Epic games confirming that the PC version will include the feature.
I think there is a mistake here. Epic sold the Gears of War IP to Microsoft a while ago and the developer of Gears of War 4 is The Coalition (aka Black Tusk Studios), so not sure why Epic is referenced here? The source didn't mention Epic games in any shape or form either.
I'm sorry, this is my fault. I wasn't aware of the sale, and having Epic being Gears developer is just a force of habit. I have update the article.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Man, I wish 343 would reconsider it an option for all future Halo games again.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
NLS said:
Would be nice. But I can't see Microsoft letting their games be on anything other than their Windows Store.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Any developer who remembers that Split-screen is a thing in this day and age deserves a thumbs up in my book.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Funny thing is....split-screen and 'couch coop' have become a bigger staple for PC games than they have for consoles. In fact, for at least the last four or five years there's been more local-coop oriented games coming out on PC markets than there has consoles.

Really, it hasn't been a "PC never gets split-screen!" issue for some time but rather more of a "Triple-A publishers and developers don't do split-screen anymore because A: They think the demographic for coop is too small to spend money developing it, or B: consoles don't have the processing power to do split-screen."

Still, nice to see someone cares enough to include it in a major IP again. Kudos to MS and The Coalition. Likewise, it's good to see that a major publisher remembers that LAN play is a thing...[footnote]Looking at you, Blizzard. Go fuck yourself.[/footnote]

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Aeshi said:
Any developer who remembers that Split-screen is a thing in this day and age deserves a thumbs up in my book.
^

Wow, Microsoft, did you finally pull your head out of your ass? Because Halo 5... That was a fucking doozy.

NLS said:
The sad thing is though, there is a lot more wrong with Halo 5 than just no splitscreen. Although that's a big part of it. Until things vastly improve, Halo is pretty dead to me.

B5Alpha

Oct 4, 2012
Glad to see Microsoft allowed them to add co-op instead of "improving the graphics" by an unnoticeable amount.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Your move, Valve. For all their talk about couch gaming, the Left 4 Dead games (which also actually work really well in SteamOS, unlike TF2 or CS:GO) still have to be hacked in order to support split-screen.