Ubisoft CEO Impressed With NX, Says it Will Offer a "New Experience"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ubisoft CEO Impressed With NX, Says it Will Offer a "New Experience"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/994/994205.jpg
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot says that the NX will offer a completely different experience to existing consoles.

Nintendo isn't talking about the NX, but that doesn't mean no-one is. Last week The Pokemon Company [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168453-Pokemon-President-on-NX-Will-Make-Games-Blur-Mobile-and-Console] chimed in on the console and today, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has nothing but praise to give the NX.

"The new Nintendo [console] is a fantastic machine," he said. "It's really a new approach, it's really Nintendo, [which is] coming with something new again. We love it." He continued to say that it would stand out against Sony and Microsoft's existing consoles, and will offer a completely different gaming experience.

"I think, once again, the interface is very attractive. It's a machine that will be easy to use for all gamers. They have built in something that will give us chance to really have a different experience from what exists today. That's what I like - that they come with something new that is adapted to what we actually want now."

Wii U fans will know that while Ubisoft's support of the Wii U was strong at first, it did wane a little in later in the console's lifespan. Addressing that, Guillemot said "What we see is that Nintendo has learned from the Wii U. All publishers learn from what they do, and then come with something new and more attractive, which I think is the case here."

Persistent rumors suggest that the NX will be a handheld/console hybrid, and Guillemot's comments, while neither confirming nor denying these rumors, does add weight to it being something completely different.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/22/nintendo-nx-fantastic-will-offer-different-experience-to-other-consoles-ubisoft-ceo]

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Can someone tell Nintendo that hype machines only work when there is a thing to hype?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So will it have the forced gimmick that we have to use to turn the console on or not? I want to know if I'm wasting my time expecting anything from the NX.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Is the NX just a really elaborate shaggy dog joke?
It's been like 3 years now.

Bad Player

Jun 21, 2013
"They have built in something that will give us chance to really have a different experience from what exists today."

That's good... if the NX actually gets games. That was the big problem with the Wii U--it offered something unique, but because of that it got very little third party support and barely any games worth getting.

Nintendo has realized and acknowledged that the lack of games was a huge problem for the Wii U, and said that they're not going to make that mistake again with the NX. It's Nintendo, so I think they'll be able to manage... but I'm not going to believe it until I actually see it.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Bad Player said:
"They have built in something that will give us chance to really have a different experience from what exists today."

That's good... if the NX actually gets games. That was the big problem with the Wii U--it offered something unique, but because of that it got very little third party support and barely any games worth getting.

Nintendo has realized and acknowledged that the lack of games was a huge problem for the Wii U, and said that they're not going to make that mistake again with the NX. It's Nintendo, so I think they'll be able to manage... but I'm not going to believe it until I actually see it.
The handheld hybrid thing will solve that problem. The 3DS has a massive library of games and developers. The NX being a handheld will coax all of the handheld developers to make games for it. It's a genius move, really.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Wow, the NX does so many things! It does...uh....um.....

...many things.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Saelune said:
Wow, the NX does so many things! It does...uh....um.....

...many things.

"Sir, can you give us some concrete information of what the NX will be?"
"No, but here's a list of adjectives we like. Use them as you please"

OT: Third party developers said much the same about the Wii U, but it kinda seemed like a cruel joke where the cool kids tell the nerd that they will come to his birthday party and then not show up.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
My guess is that it's basically going to be something like a giant DS powerful enough to run Wii U games and can connect to the TV. Like the Wii U tablet but with a second screen and capable of running on its own. By doing this they can unify their whole library (which they've mentioned wanting to do) under a single console because DS/3ds games would work with the touch screen and at the same time it'd be powerful enough to at least be backwards compatible with Wii U games and prior. For when you want the traditional console experience on a big TV, you'd stream it the same way the Wii U does to its tablet.
But the other advantage is that it also becomes more acceptable for the console to be less powerful than the competitors because it's a portable device--they avoid being in direct competition the same way they did with the Wii. And with a device like this it'd be pretty clear that it's not a Wii peripheral.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
"We love it, and we can't wait to see what other developers will do with it.

Huh? What's that? What about our own games?"

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Jameson-Laughing-Meme-02.jpg

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That's great! Hey, can you tell us anything about it? What does it do? What does it look like? Anything concrete and not vague. I'm not asking for much.

At this point, I half expect people to buy the NX, open up the box, and find nothing inside.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Saltyk said:
That's great! Hey, can you tell us anything about it? What does it do? What does it look like? Anything concrete and not vague. I'm not asking for much.

At this point, I half expect people to buy the NX, open up the box, and find nothing inside.
Pretty much, We'll find out that the NX isn't actually a console, just a bunch of various concepts. At the reveal event, they won't show the console, and they'll just ship empty boxes to sell.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Then I look forward to you giving a bunch of half-assed products to the system, throwing a fit when your mediocre efforts are ignored with customers instead going to Nintendo to get quality games, and then claiming it's all Nintendo's or gamers' fault. It doesn't bug me that much considering how Ubi is in a slump and thus not quite as important in the gaming landscape what with their former A-listers floundering and the company struggling to find anything to fill the void. Weird how stuff like that works out

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Shitty gimmick confirmed.
I hope they remember that the 3ds was a success because you could disable the 3d, not because of the 3d.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Honestly, if they just go ahead and show the damn thing, and make commercials about families having fun and then a small child playing it on a car trip and not being loud and obnoxious, the thing will sell pretty well out the gate. It already has a few of the marks the Wii had at the beginning of its life, a brand new Zelda with the arguably superior port of it, and as long as Nintendo shows it enough love there should be third party support to follow. The Wii had tons of shovelware third party support, but it was still something, and that something can make all the difference in the world, as the thing sold over 90 million total, being, I believe, Nintendo's best selling home console. If I'm wrong on that please correct me, but it was still the best selling one since the SNES.

Just, Nintendo, please show us, release a simultaneous commercial to let the world know, and maybe give us a date. Maybe a date is more than you can commit to, as we already have a rough guess, but please just show us. I want to love you Nintendo, you really have put out some awesome stuff, you just seem to forget how to market from time to time and it comes back to bite you in the ass, and thus bites gamers in the ass as well.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kibeth41 said:
Bad Player said:
Third party support was never a contributing factor to the failure of the Wii U. A lack of Nintendo titles was.

New Super Mario Bros and Nintendo Land were the only AAA Nintendo titles for MONTHS. It was only after games like Pikmin and Mario Kart started coming out that the sales picked up exponentially.

If anything, relying on third party support is what tanked the console. Ubisoft promised to support them, and to provide them some launch titles. They gave the Wii U a zombie game, shitty ports, and delayed Rayman Legends 7 months after it went gold for literally no reason.
"Even when Nintendo fails, it's not Nintendo's fault".