Mafia III Gameplay Video Shows Off Just What to Expect in New Bordeaux

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mafia III Gameplay Video Shows Off Just What to Expect in New Bordeaux

The gameplay video that was shown off at Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show has now been released for all to see.

We've seen a number of trailers for Mafia III so far, and now 2K is offering up an extended look at gameplay in the upcoming open-world game. Originally shown off at Gamescom in August and Tokyo Game Show earlier this month, the clip features protagonist Lincoln Clay taking out the mob underboss Tony Derazio.

It involves storming a hotel, and then either sneaking through or shooting a bunch of guys (guess which one the gameplay demo takes). Here's the footage:

Mafia III is launching on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 7.

[gallery=6525]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Like the music so far, the city is aesthetically interesting along with the organised crime storyline, has a distinct character altogether. Can't help feeling that the bald boss guy looks very much like Lex Luthor from the Smallville TV series. Wonder if they were going for that. Anyway, where is B-cell when you need him to counteract positivity with unintelligible dismissal these days?

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Getting a bit of a San Andreas vibe from the plot told so far. Returning character with a somewhat sad past, criminal family he gets in with is torn apart by larger criminal group, goes out for revenge against said group. Instead of gangs and corrupt police, it?s the mafia and corrupt police. And with the sounds of it, when they were discussing the city itself, potentially capable of capturing mafia locations for yourself.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meeeeeeh.

I was almost interested for a second there. The city looks really nice.

Then a villain did a monologue before killing an underling.

Then there was some third-person-cover-based shooting that could have been cut and pasted from literally dozens of other games.

Then the protagonist started casually tanking bullets by slurping down health kits.

Then the game railroaded matters into a scripted encounter with the villain because god forbid I might want some flexibility in accomplishing objectives in a sandbox game.

Oh, and the villain was mysteriously more resistant to bullets than his men because... he has a name?

Fare thee well generic sandbox off-brand GTA #88209.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zhukov said:
Meeeeeeh.

I was almost interested for a second there. The city looks really nice.

Then a villain did a monologue before killing an underling.

Then there was some third-person-cover-based shooting that could have been cut and pasted from literally dozens of other games.

Then the protagonist started casually tanking bullets by slurping down health kits.

Then the game railroaded matters into a scripted encounter with the villain because god forbid I might want some flexibility in accomplishing objectives in a sandbox game.

Oh, and the villain was mysteriously more resistant to bullets than his men because... he has a name?

Fare thee well generic sandbox off-brand GTA #88209.
Valid points. The game is an almost 100% generic third person free roaming shooter.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Cars that handle like arse
Braindead AI (dumb, even for a 3rd person shooter)
Pulling lit firebombs out of nowhere
Uncancellable 'takedowns'
Have the means to open any door with force but still have a lockpick mechanic
Surreptitious whistle that draws an enemy to your exact location
Drawn out death scene fo someone we just shot in the face nine times
Capture the world map one territory at a time

And you want people to pay money for this?
Holy moly

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I keep thinking about how Mafia fans must feel. The game could still be good, but it's such a far cry from what the last two games were about.

baconsarnie said:
Cars that handle like arse
Braindead AI (dumb, even for a 3rd person shooter)
Pulling lit firebombs out of nowhere
Uncancellable 'takedowns'
Have the means to open any door with force but still have a lockpick mechanic
Surreptitious whistle that draws an enemy to your exact location
Drawn out death scene fo someone we just shot in the face nine times
Capture the world map one territory at a time

And you want people to pay money for this?
Holy moly
This looks like a game that I would definitely buy a year later on Black Friday for at most 5 bucks. Generic third person shooter with casual stealth elements in an open world? That's my shit. Kinda like binging out on YouTube videos you don't really care about.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
I see a problem here. The trailer establishes the bad guys right off the bat and says "Look! Bad guys! Kill!"

This was my problem with the second game as well as the protagonist was just some trigger-happy idiot who had no problem killing anyone he saw.

What made the first game great is that the protagonist refused to kill some of his former friends, which landed him in more and more trouble, in the end making him realize just what he was doing and trying to just run away from everything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So they went from a game that stands out among the crowd to a generic open sandbox shooter from late 00s