Shovel Knight Will be in Yooka-Laylee

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Shovel Knight Will be in Yooka-Laylee

Shovel Knight will be a guest character in the upcoming Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor.

The Shovel Knight is arguably one of the best new characters of the past couple years, appearing in Yacht Club Game's incredible retro-platforming throwback, Yooka-Laylee [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/shovel%20knight?os=%20shovel%20knight], liked the character so much that it teamed up with Yacht Club to add him as a guest NPC.

In the new trailer just shown at a developer panel at EGX this year, many of the game's NPC characters are shown off. Shovel Knight appears right at the end, speaking in a kind of strange mumbling voice. Apparently, after receiving an explanation and practicing on a Skype call, Yacht Club went through the steps of how Playtonic creates the mumbling voices, and the result was added to the title directly.

Playtronic said that Shovel Knight was a "much-loved game" with a team that "shares the same kinds of values we do as developers and has created something fantastic in the past".

The studio indicated that Shovel Knight was the only "guest" character that had been added to the game so far, but is open to more ideas.

Yooka-Laylee is currently scheduled for release on PC, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4, Wii U and Xbox One in March, 2017.

Source: Playtronic Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZo5Gnxog8]

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
There's no such thing as too much Shovel Knight love.

Well, there probably is, but we're nowhere close to that point, so let's keep it coming.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Dang, I really need to get around to playing Shovel Knight at some point. For the record, I think his "voice" is hilarious.

Can I just say how nice it is to see the return of video game mascots with an all-ages appeal? Outside of Nintendo, most high profile "mascots" from the past fifteen years have been grim, no-nonsense sticks in the mud and/or hailed from M-rated games.
The studio indicated that Shovel Knight was the only "guest" character that had been added to the game so far, but is open to more ideas.
Hmmmm, let me think for a sec...

Hey, if Banjo-Kazooie could put this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnA_6I4y0_0] into their game and still keep an "E" rating, I don't see why Shantae couldn't be allowed.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
What an annoying voice.
I take it you never played Banjo Kazooie.

OT: Man, now I just want a Shovel Knight 64.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fappy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What an annoying voice.

Shovel Knight's voice sounds like...a guy in his room. I liked Banjo Kazooie voices, but they didnt sound as bad as that.

Personally, I was hoping it would be Arin of Game Grumps doing the small voice they gave him when they played Shovel Knight. Considering their relationship with both Grant Kirkhope and the Shovel Knight devs, Im kind of surprised its not.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I'm guessing Banjo and/or Kazooie are out of the question for guest appearances? Also Conker, Jet Force Gemini doggintons, Donkey Kong family, that suicidal pitchfork, ooh...how about the cyan dude from Dust: An Elysian Tail? Surely he isn't held behind a hundred ft wall of metaphorical steel and concrete copyright stubbornness?
The voice doesnt sound any weirder than the rest of the vocal work, they went for cartoony interpretation of manly warrior and that's what I'm hearing. It's not supposed to be serious or taken seriously.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Saelune said:
Fappy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What an annoying voice.

Shovel Knight's voice sounds like...a guy in his room. I liked Banjo Kazooie voices, but they didnt sound as bad as that.
Yeah, that's the impression I got too. Sounds like a 20 something year old guy who only got to use 1 or 2 takes.
They could stand to give him a VA with a bit of a deeper voice.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Shovel Knight sucks. Plague Knight FTW!

OT: I'm all in for guest appearances; but I think it would be better to have them as surprises, instead of up front announce them.

Fappy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What an annoying voice.
To be Frank, I don't see how that makes it less annoying. Frank says Gruntilda is 10 times less annoying...