Report - Destiny 2 is Coming to PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report - Destiny 2 is Coming to PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1262/1262762.jpg
Because why would you bring an MMO shooter to the platform where both MMOs and shooters are king?

If you're still having a jolly good time with Bungie's MMO shooter Destiny, wondering when the next content patch will drop, it may sadden you to know that the sequel is right around the corner, slated for launch in 2017. However, if you're a PC gamer who missed out on the first game, because Bungie inexplicably decided not to make a PC port, you may be in luck, as a report from NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285379] is suggesting that Destiny 2 will make its way to PC.

A NeoGAF user who claims to have ties to an Activision staffer posted that they'd overheard Destiny 2 would launch on PC alongside consoles. Although the initial post was vague - the poster said their friend "saw a presentation on another person's laptop" confirming the PC port.

If that sounds a little too vague for you, Kotaku corroborated these reports [http://kotaku.com/sources-destiny-2-coming-to-pc-aims-to-feel-like-a-to-1787153460] with its own sources. The sources claim that Destiny 2 feels like a "proper sequel" rather than an expansion pack, and will completely overhaul the game, even if it means players have to abandon their old characters and start over.

"I've heard that Bungie's leadership wants Destiny 2 to feel like a proper sequel, even if that means leaving old planets, characters, and activities behind. In conversations with me, people connected to Bungie have made comparisons to Blizzard's Diablo 2, which iterated on the first game in some incredible ways but didn't carry over characters or content from Diablo," said the source.

Of course, this is all unconfirmed right now, and as Kotaku doesn't exactly have a stellar record with its inside sources, we're fairly skeptical for now. It would certainly make sense for Destiny 2 to come to PC, but it also made sense for Destiny 1 to be on PC too.

As of now, all Activision has confirmed about Destiny 2 is the the 2017 release date [https://gamerant.com/destiny-2-release-date-expansion-2016/].

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285379]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
How can a game without a story get a sequel?

Steven Bogos said:
Bungie have made comparisons to Blizzard's Diablo 2, which iterated on the first game in some incredible ways but didn't carry over characters or content from Diablo,"
Someone should tell Bungie that Diablo in D2 is the Hero from the first game. Also Deckard Cain is now crying. Nice one Bungie.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
My dad works for Activision can confirm.
008Zulu said:

Steven Bogos said:
Bungie have made comparisons to Blizzard's Diablo 2, which iterated on the first game in some incredible ways but didn't carry over characters or content from Diablo,"
Someone should tell Bungie that Diablo in D2 is the Hero from the first game. Also Deckard Cain is now crying. Nice one Bungie.
And Wirt. And Griswold. And The Summoner and Blood Raven are the other two player characters. Pretty much everybody comes back.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
008Zulu said:
I just love how the people who hate on Destiny the most are the people who know basically nothing about it.

Read it again, I'm 99% sure what they mean is you will need to make a new PC, not that characters from the story will be completely absent. You didn't start Diablo 2 with all the stats and items from D1.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
008Zulu said:
But but but... the story's online, didn't you know? /s

OT: My faith in Bungie isn't completely dead after the first game, so I'll keep an eye on this one. Maybe they've learned from their mistakes. Whenever I look at footage of the raids, it's clear to me that they still have some of the old magic, so hopefully they'll make more of a complete game this time instead of Defend Dinklebot 2.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
If it comes to PC, I'll give it a shot. Bungie does make a satisfying shooter, and I'd hope they'd learn from whatever mistakes they made in the first game. As long as its not a windows 10 store exclusive.

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
major_chaos said:
008Zulu said:
I just love how the people who hate on Destiny the most are the people who know basically nothing about it.
You get used to these people on the internet just wanting to be involved in something. Even if its jumping on a hype or hate train. Just ignore them though you do feel that they could ruin the image of the game to potentially new comers

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
008Zulu said:
I prefer to see it as a reboot.

I mean, one of Destiny's biggest problems was that it was shackled to the previous generation of consoles. That, and the typical Activision executive meddling meant that Bungie likely didn't get to deliver the game that they wanted to.

I'm cautiously optimistic for now; I did rather like Destiny despite its many, many flaws that Bungie stubbornly refuses to fix (An in-game way to find people to play with, for example). But I suppose we'll see; after all, they've said pretty much nothing about it other than that it is coming soon.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure there are people who have been lost in the Amazon for fifty years who give more of a shit about Destiny than I do, but here's my cents:

If they make the the story interesting (instead of all of the worst aspects of Halo), give us some variety in missions and liven up the weapon variety a bit more, maybe it will be above average.

Ah, who am I kidding? It will be the thing as before.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
? as Kotaku doesn't exactly have a stellar record with its inside sources, ?
They [http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731] haven't [http://kotaku.com/sources-no-mans-sky-delayed-1778797365]?

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Is it really news that this will come to Win10 given the whole UWP thing?

Yeah, D2 in itself is newsworthy....but if/when it's released, it would be more of a surprise if it wasn't coming to Win10.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Basically the PC players will not get a PC version, but the XBone version, farmed to some outside porting company and shackled to Win10's GFWL2.0...aka UWP.

... unless they go full Konami, and give the PC a 360 version instead :p

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Unless Bungie are going to release a UWP version of the game i cant see how it wouldnt have glaring performance issues that will never get addressed, which is the standard for Activision PC ports.

On that note, calling it now locked to 30fps and no FoV sliders.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
gigastar said:
Unless Bungie are going to release a UWP version of the game i cant see how it wouldnt have glaring performance issues that will never get addressed, which is the standard for Activision PC ports.

UWP games are not exempt from being shitty ports, gears of war runs like shit for a lot of people, mostly those that have Nvidia GPUs.

Plus the other hurdle Microsoft have to overcome is to get people to actually use UWP, a lot of people don't like the idea because they remember GFWL.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Maybe finish the first game before shoving out a second likely unfinished game, if its coming out this soon. And dont make people pay for the content you removed after the fact and call it "expansions".

Destiny made Capcom's on disc DLC look like a fair thing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well you can't say Bungie are going be out of work anytime soon. The only thing putting me off trying the game properly (other than having no online gaming "budds" to team up with) is the amount of money you need to have for "the full experience" ...Also purely online games very much do not gel with my consumer philosophy of being able to own what you buy and utilise at any point.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Consider me cautiously optimistic for this. I actually enjoyed Destiny for what it was. Though I'd stopped playing during the second expansion. The gameplay was good, raids (especially VoG) were fun, and I liked the classes. If they actually made the story part of the game, and allowed you to access the grimoire in game, it would have been a much better game. Probably lauded as a great game.

So I'll probably pick it up.

Not sure why there wasn't a PC version to begin with, but that was probably part of a deal or something.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Zipa said:
gigastar said:

UWP games are not exempt from being shitty ports, gears of war runs like shit for a lot of people, mostly those that have Nvidia GPUs.

Plus the other hurdle Microsoft have to overcome is to get people to actually use UWP, a lot of people don't like the idea because they remember GFWL.
Oh. I was under the impression that UWP was more or less an XB1 emulator with some exclusive DX12 fx added.

Sooo i guess itll just be a pure dogshit port and the only people playing it will be those with their Bungie blinders.