Where Are They Now? Infographic Shows Movements of Ex-Blizzard Stafers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Where Are They Now? Infographic Shows Movements of Ex-Blizzard Stafers

CJ Miozzi goes into detail on all the studios ex-Blizzard staffers have founded.

Earlier this month, Blizzard VP and story guru Chris Metzen shocked us all by making his own studio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168391-Blizzard-Senior-VP-and-Story-Guru-Chris-Metzen-Retiring-at-Age-42] alongside some other ex-Blizzard staffers. But this kind of exodus isn't new to Blizzard, it's been happening pretty much since the studio first started getting big. CJ "Rhykker" Miozzi goes into detail on all of the movements of the staffers in his video to the right, and the info-graphic below shows us all the info in pictorial form.

Check it out (click to enlarge):

[//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1352/1352504.png]

As you can see, ex-Blizzard staffers have gone on to make some pretty great things (Torchlight, Guild Wars) as well as some... less great things (does anyone else remember Hellgate: London? Unfortunately, I still do). Triforge Arenanet, was the first "major" exodus, but it looks like the newly announced Bonfire Studios will be the biggest studio formed by ex-Blizzard staffers since Flagship Studios.

I have my fingers crossed that Bonfire can do good. Josh Mosqueria all but brought Diablo 3 back from the brink of death after Jay Wilson ruined it, so I've no doubt of his ability. What do you guys think?

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTzQsG3azRs]

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
It's missing them losing Ghostcrawler to Riot Games for League of Legends.
There's actually been quite a few ex-Blizzard employees who've gone to Riot Games, not just Ghostcrawler, so I'm surprised that's not in the infographic.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Any way to view this in better resolution?

I just got misty eyed over lost vikings...

disturbia

Sep 26, 2016
Interesting to see people from newer games I've played were involved in old stuff I used to enjoy when I was younger.

bjj hero said:

This seems to be the largest resolution.
Oh, and, The Lost Vikings is my all-time favorite game!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I really liked how Blizzard made their main characters fail, espacially in Diablo 1, StarCraft 1 and Warcraft 3. That and their insane cinematics are the reason their stories still stick with me. It became a bit too predictable for my tastes as failing is basically all the Blizzard heroes do nowadays. Now I really hope bringing in some new guys for the lore will not only let the gameplay be good, but give their stories a jolt as well.

In other news: As much as Hellgate: London was panned, I enjoy it sometimes when I want to relax and turn my brain off. For me, that's as good a reason to play something as challenging

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
bjj hero said:

At least they acknowledge it in Overwatch, unlike other companies.

Also if you want your LV fix, check out Marvelous. Its pretty much LV with a top down camera. Plus it was Eiji Aonuma's first game.