Overwatch's Next Hero, Sombra, Halloween Event, Leaked

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch's Next Hero, Sombra, Halloween Event, Leaked

Overwatch's new hero, Sombra, is "one of the world's best and most notorious hackers," according to the leak.

The existence of Sombra, an upcoming Overwatch hero, has been has blown the lid [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions] off the whole thing, revealing not only Sombra's look and identity, but also an upcoming Halloween-themed brawl and skins.

It all comes from the leaked image below:

The image appears to have been hacked from an internal website at Blizzard, and shows us exactly what Sombra looks like. Obviously a lot of the text is cut off, but from what is legible we see that she is "one of the world's best and most notorious hackers," and that she "was recruited by the mysterious Talon organization." This should give us a little bit of a hint as to what her abilities will be like. I'm thinking a defense hero that can possibly create/hack robots to fight for her.

Also leaked was the following image concerning an upcoming Halloween-themed special event:

In the image, we can clearly see several Halloween related skins.

We've reached out to Blizzard for more information, but now that the cat's out of the bag, we expect an official announcement to follow shortly.

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/56ih53/sombra_design_identity_halloween_brawl_leaked/]

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Cool, she carries an SMG.

Also, I'm hoping that "Junkenstein's Monster" (we see the back of their head, at the bottom) is Roadhog.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
IceForce said:
Cool, she carries an SMG.

Also, I'm hoping that "Junkenstein's Monster" (we see the back of their head, at the bottom) is Roadhog.
It is. The entire comic is pretty much out online.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bob_McMillan said:
Enough Zarya hair please. I'm still trying to forget it exists.
Zarya did not invent the concept of pink hair.

OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Symmetra, Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, but Symmetra is never really overly villainous and Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
This is what happens when you make us wait three months blizzard

OT: I'm really excited for this Halloween update, from Sombra, to the Halloween costumes, To what seems to be a horde mode. I hope blizzard releases it soon.

erttheking said:
OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.
To be fair the plot line to Kings Row involves a bomb that Junkrat willingly made To kill a bunch of robots for Talon, So I don't see them having a problem with working with them, but Yes we need more villains Just so a match could potentially make sense in universe.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
tf2godz said:
This is what happens when you make us wait three months blizzard

OT: I'm really excited for this Halloween update, from Sombra, to the Halloween costumes, To what seems to be a horde mode. I hope blizzard releases it soon.

erttheking said:
OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.
To be fair the plot line to Kings Row involves a bomb that Junkrat willingly made To kill a bunch of robots for Talon, So I don't see them having a problem with working with them, but Yes we need more villains Just so a match could potentially make sense in universe.
True, I'm just interested in there being villains that believe in a cause of some kind. Junkrat mainly does what he does for shits and giggles, even if he claims it's for a cause. Hell, in one of the comics he even tried to go legit (Although it seems part of his motivation was to find a job where he could get paid to blow shit up)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
That's not Sombra! This is Sombra!
Please don't mention that villain again.

EVER!
erttheking said:
OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Symmetra, Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, but Symmetra is never really overly villainous and Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.
Reaper and Widowmaker certainly. Symmetra no, IMO - she's shown in her comic to have a strong moral compass, that while Vishkar is willing to do horrific things for "the greater good," Symmettra has far more qualms about such actions. Roadhog and Junkrat I'd call "bad." The ALF had sympathetic goals, but their actions (murder, mayhem, and not just of omnics) are based on nothing but self-gain.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
erttheking said:

Yepyep. Definitely need more villains to balance out the heroes.

As far as looks, I like what I can see so far. She definitely looks like she could have stepped out of The Matrix, or some kind of cyberpunk thing. I just hope she's not wearing high heels. If Blizzard can avoid giving her high heels, I think the design will be great.

I'm actually curious about her abilities now. We know she's got an SMG, and it looks like she's got some kind of grenades or mines clipped onto her belt. I wonder if those weird gloves do anything, or if they're just for show.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
erttheking said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Enough Zarya hair please. I'm still trying to forget it exists.
Considering the fact that I see no pink in the pic that was leaked, I'd imagine Bob's talking more about the "female with half of her head shaved and the rest of her hair combed over the other side" look. :^)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Oh! Neat! A holiday update featuring new cosmetic items and other related content. A Halloween-themed in-game event. A themed comic associated with the event to tell the story behind it. All very cool. Glad to see Val...

Oh. Sorry. I had this confused with Team Fortress 2, for some reason...

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
rcs619 said:
I'm actually curious about her abilities now. We know she's got an SMG, and it looks like she's got some kind of grenades or mines clipped onto her belt.
I'll call it now and say those grenades are 'barrier blockers', - similar to Ana's grenade but instead of blocking healing, it blocks the use of Zarya's/Rein's/Winston's barriers for 2 or 3 seconds or so, thereby effectively making her another much-needed tank buster.

Because at the moment, Reaper is the only reliable tank buster we have, and tanks are absolutely dominating the meta right now, especially in competitive where you can only have one Reaper, but the enemy can have several tanks.

Add to this the way some people have been complaining lately about Zarya being too powerful and being in every single game and being difficult to counter, ...well, Sombra might just be the Zarya (hard-)counter those people are looking for.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Nice! Can't wait to open these Halloween themed loot boxes and get duplicate vanilla game sprays!!

All jokes aside, Sombra looks pretty cool, will definitely jump on and give her a try once she's out

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
IceForce said:
rcs619 said:
I'm actually curious about her abilities now. We know she's got an SMG, and it looks like she's got some kind of grenades or mines clipped onto her belt.
I'll call it now and say those grenades are 'barrier blockers', - similar to Ana's grenade but instead of blocking healing, it blocks the use of Zarya's/Rein's/Winston's barriers for 2 or 3 seconds or so, thereby effectively making her another much-needed tank buster.

Because at the moment, Reaper is the only reliable tank buster we have, and tanks are absolutely dominating the meta right now, especially in competitive where you can only have one Reaper, but the enemy can have several tanks.

Add to this the way some people have been complaining lately about Zarya being too powerful and being in every single game and being difficult to counter, ...well, Sombra might just be the Zarya (hard-)counter those people are looking for.
Yeah, another tank buster would be nice. Reinhardt and Roadhog you can play around, and Winston is super easy to kill if he just yolo's in like an idiot. Zarya is tougher though, since those barriers also power her up and your only choices are to either try and power through them (and pump up her gun) or not shoot at her/the shielded person for a few seconds (which can be suicide in a teamfight, especially since other people on your team will probably just shoot the barrier anyway).

My only concern is that a barrier-blocker would be far too harsh on Reinhardt. All he's got is his barrier, basically. He can't fight at long-range while it's on cooldown like Zarya can.

But yes, there's a lot of ways they could go with a cyberpunk sorta character, and if that is her actual design... I honestly don't know which category she'd fit into (besides not being a tank). Probably defense? But who knows.

I'm actually more curious about that Halloween gamemode, where you have to defend against "Zomnics." Maybe a horde mode? That could be a lot of fun, and it'd be easy to reskin it for use outside of Halloween. I'm a sucker for a good horde mode :)

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Steven Bogos said:

The image appears to have been hacked from an internal website at Blizzard, ...
Why did this crack Russian hackers have to take a photograph of the screen?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Blitsie said:
Nice! Can't wait to open these Halloween themed loot boxes and get duplicate vanilla game sprays!!

All jokes aside, Sombra looks pretty cool, will definitely jump on and give her a try once she's out
Hoping they learned from the summer games reaction and at least make them credit buyable...

But well aware that may be a vain hope.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Janichsan said:
Steven Bogos said:

The image appears to have been hacked from an internal website at Blizzard, ...
Why did this crack Russian hackers have to take a photograph of the screen?
Right?
Hack = somebody at Blizzard took a photo of their monitor using their phone
?