Ubisoft Giving Away Beyond Good & Evil for Free for the Next Month

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ubisoft Giving Away Beyond Good & Evil for Free for the Next Month

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1355/1355317.jpgThis month's Ubisoft anniversary free game is Beyond Good & Evil.

Ubisoft has been giving away a free game every month since E3 to celebrate its 30th anniversary. So far they've given away a number of great titles, including Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (June), Splinter Cell (July), Rayman: Origins (August), and The Crew (September).

For October, Ubi's got another great game to give away: Beyond Good & Evil. This one has been in people's minds in recent years as there's been on-again, off-again teasing of a possible sequel. There's been a teaser trailer, then the news that the sequel was Facebook page last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117160-Beyond-Good-and-Evil-2-is-Still-Alive].

While you wait for the sequel, you can go catch up on the original. Just head over to the Ubi30 website [https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/ubi30], log in, and click the button. As usual, you'll have to use Uplay to download and play. This giveaway will only last a month, so don't miss out.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I already have Beyond Good & Evil free from Games With Gold. It was decent fun until shooting became mandatory. Then there was that final boss battle that I didn't care for.
Ultimately I feel the need to compare this to Brothers A Tale Of Two Sons. (Which I also got free from Games With Gold.) One of these games deals with losing someone they care about. And the other deals with a person who was a Magical McGuffin the whole time who can bring people back from the dead.
Spoiler
I hated the one with the Magical McGuffin.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Oh yeah, I remember when I won that game at a lottery at a local swimming hall back in the day(as things turn out, when a game underperforms publishers are desperate to at least give them away, so they won't have to keep stock and they can at least bring tranferable awareness of the series to the people).

I remember booting it up back then to discover that in the initial mise-en-scene Jade was a pair of floating eyes and a fighting stick, and I hence being unable to play the thing. There must've been some graphical problem, which I was too lazy to figure out/not good enough in English to figure out, so the game lay dormant since.

A couple years later I had gotten a better computer, and after an installation it worked as intended. Now I could discover the splendour of this poster-boy for overlooked gems. I quickly discovered one unfortunate aspect though: I get easily motion sick. And Beyond Good and Evil was particularly nasty in that regard. I've gotten the motion sickness several times but Beyond Good and Evil is the only one that has made me physically vomit.

I hope someone else finds more joy in it than I have, since it is the poster-boy for overlooked gems, and gems are often called gems for a reason.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Wait, a sequel? When did this happen? I feel like that's bigger news than a free giveaway.

OT: Games With Gold had a giveaway a not that long ago.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Rangaman said:
Wait, a sequel? When did this happen? I feel like that's bigger news than a free giveaway.

I think he was talking about waiting for the sequel in the same way you talk about waiting for Half Life Episode 3, ironically.

OT: Never got it. I'm interested.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
erttheking said:
Rangaman said:

I think he was talking about waiting for the sequel in the same way you talk about waiting for Half Life Episode 3, ironically.

It say in the article that the game was announced on the official Facebook page. I'm currently on a heavily restricted network, so I can't actually see the post myself. If the post itself is sarcastic, then I'll update this later.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Rangaman said:
erttheking said:
Rangaman said:

It say in the article that the game was announced on the official Facebook page. I'm currently on a heavily restricted network, so I can't actually see the post myself. If the post itself is sarcastic, then I'll update this later.
WHOOPS! Yeah, apparently Ubisoft did announce that it was in "pre-production" That's egg on my face.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
I picked this up, I believe from a Steam sale, a few years ago... I booted it up and played it for a while, then closed it to poke at the config, and when I tried to fire it back up it refused to see my video card. Persisted after a reinstall, so I dumped it and haven't tried it since.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Great game that never got any love from the publisher or the public. People say they want something different, but it seems like the only way to get sales is to either make a shooter or a sequel to an already-successful franchise.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
I played Beyond good and evil on the PS2, then I bought it when it came out on steam, ...I'll take a free copy on Uplay. That's how you know when you're a game hoarder at heart.

Also yeah, I keep reading and hearing about the production of Beyond good and Evil 2, but I've got a healthy dose of skepticism over how the game will actually play if it is ever really finished. But even with my skepticism, I hope for the best.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Imagine my surprise when I found out I have an account on that site. Shame I missed out on Prince of Persia and Rayman. Guess I'll pay more attention in the future

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Of COURSE it didn't sell, you idiots. You didn't do ANY marketing. I had to hear about it on a forum to even know the bloody game exists! >_>

Gutsripper said:
I'd rather pay for it on GOG.com than have to install Uplay.

Valve are starting to turn into assholes too though so to be fair, we might want to think about giving another game distributor our business to keep Valve in line.