Red Dead Redemption 2 Officially Announced

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Red Dead Redemption 2 Officially Announced

After several teasers earlier this week, Rockstar has officially confirmed Red Dead Redemption 2.

After a series of teasers, one on Monday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168624-Red-Dead-Redemption-Announcement-Teased], Rockstar Games officially confirmed the existence of Red Dead Redemption 2 today, along with a release window of Fall 2017 on PS4 and Xbox One.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/788363842329903104]

In a brief statement, Rockstar stated that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be "an epic tale of life in America's unforgiving heartland," adding that the game's "vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience."

"With Red Dead Redemption 2, the team is working hard to push forward our vision for interactive entertainment in a truly living world," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games, in a press release today. "We hope to deliver players an epic experience that builds upon everything we've learned making games."

Not much else is known at the time, but a trailer for the upcoming game is set to arrive on Thursday, October 20, at 11am eastern time.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I knew it.

And oh man I hope the improve a lot on the first game, perticularly end game stuff.

And its most definately gonna be a prequal all about John Marston and his gang.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Do you hear that... that's the sound of someone cocking the gun that is going to finally put GTA5 online out of it's misery.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Finally, something good to come out of the dumpster fire of a year that's been 2016.
Now, just to make it to 2017...

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Nice! Though I'm a little miffed that it's Red Dead Redemption 2 and not Red Dead 'a different R-word'. Eh, that's marketing I guess.

Mar 30, 2010
Laughing Man said:
Do you hear that... that's the sound of someone cocking the gun that is going to finally put GTA5 online out of it's misery.
Out of it's misery? GTA:O reportedly has traffic in the region of 8 million players a week, that doesn't sound like a game that is going to be put out to pasture any time soon.

OT: Great to hear that this is on it's way! Shame we have to wait a year, but it the worldbuilding and character writing are anything like RDR it'll be well worth the wait. Colour me excited.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
I am disappoint.

I wanted RDR on PC. Please. It is literally the only reason I havn't gotten rid of my PS3.

I mean, RDR2 is nice 'n all, but I note the conspicuous absence of PC in the list of intended platforms, and I have zero intention of buying a new console.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
MC1980 said:
Shame that the PC port is going to be late again. Though, it will be kinda worth it if it's the blowout best version of the game like GTAV was. I doubt it will take 2 years like GTAV either, more like 1 year. GTAV had to be ported to current gen too before a PC port. No such problem for RDR2.
I envy your optimism.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Red Dead Revolver was one of my favourite PS2 games, and Redemption is easily in my top 5 games ever and by far my favourite multiplayer experience (although GTA:O is up there too, for that).

What I'm going to do though, is convince myself that it'll never come out on PC. There's clearly no plans for that at release, and this way I won't be disappointed (since I jumped ship to PC ages ago) if it doesn't, and could be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I suppose it'll be alright if Sony releases their keyboard+mouse controller by then. Having to play a 3d shooter with a gamepad is a deal breaker for me.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Fulbert said:
I suppose it'll be alright if Sony releases their keyboard+mouse controller by then. Having to play a 3d shooter with a gamepad is a deal breaker for me.
Still won't fix the guaranteed 30FPS lock due to the PS4 and Xbone's anemic hardware, so that's two big gamebreakers right there.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States

Red Dead Redemption was a damn good game and I look forward to returning to the Old West. The question is what are they going to do with it? Will it be another story about the twilight of the chaotic freedom that it represented, or will we be going back further? Some people are already theorizing that it might be about when Marston ran with Dutch's gang, and I can see that happening.

We'll have to wait a few days for the trailer it seems.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Diablo1099 said:
Finally, something good to come out of the dumpster fire of a year that's been 2016.
Now, just to make it to 2017...
dumpster fire? this year has been amazing for game releases.