New Prey Trailer Shows Off the Game's Alternate Timeline and Story Background

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Prey Trailer Shows Off the Game's Alternate Timeline and Story Background

A new Prey trailer sheds some light on the game's story, as well as how it alters history for its own purposes.

Arkane Studios' reimagining of Prey got a lot of attention when it was announced at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167690-Prey-Returns-Developed-by-Arkane-Austin] earlier this year. The game is set in an alternate timeline where President John F. Kennedy survived his assassination. That fact has a profound effect on the history of the Talos 1 station featured in the game.

Prey features main character Morgan Yu waking up on Talos 1, only to find that aliens have overrun the station. As you'll see in the video above, this has happened at least once before.

Prey is currently being developed by the Austin, TX division of Arkane Studios, with Arkane CEO Raphael Colantonio serving as game director. It's currently listed with a release date of 2017, and will come to PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

[gallery=6572]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Was Prey really a story powerhouse that deserves even the idea of an alternate timeline?
Mass Effect it is not.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Meh. How about we go back and do the original Prey 2 concept? You know, the one that actually looked fun? Bounty hunting in a space metropolis was far more appealing.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
So they steal the Prey name and slap it to any old game idea they have, even if it isn't Prey at all? Um...stupid. I liked original Prey where it was a cross of Native American mythos and alien science fiction. But it was set in 'modern' timeline with a more solid foundation. This is just hogwash building on the franchise name.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Why can't we have the actual sequel to Prey instead of this in-name-only reboot?
(FYI, I know about bethesda fucking over Human Head Studio's)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Halyah said:
Poetic Nova said:
Why can't we have the actual sequel to Prey instead of this in-name-only reboot?
(FYI, I know about bethesda fucking over Human Head Studio's)
Whats better? An in-name-only sequel or an in-name-only reboot? Either way we'll not see a true sequel sadly. I don't quite get how Prey was the IP that ended up like this heh.
HHS' Prey 2 was set in the same universe, but a diffirent perspective.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I like it. Prey lost its' charm about halfway through. Plus its' mechanics ere outdated now other games have elaborated on them so well. Oh Whatever. Why speculate positivity in this climate? Is that a sign of weakness here?

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I do have a chuckle of the few people calling Prey a reboot or a reimagining. Just call it what it truly is. Prey?s a new game, a new IP, and new setting. Names are not IPs unless it?s attached to long standing series that continue to get new releases in their series. Now, if Prey came out with the current set up and the ?Prey? series had more than 2 games to it, this ?reboot/reimagining? talk would have merit. So look at it for what it really is, a new game called Prey.

Now, kinda interesting with the alt-history route.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
So they steal the Prey name and slap it to any old game idea they have, even if it isn't Prey at all? Um...stupid. I liked original Prey where it was a cross of Native American mythos and alien science fiction. But it was set in 'modern' timeline with a more solid foundation. This is just hogwash building on the franchise name.
Now where have i heard that before... oh yes! X-com from 2-k! Later changed into "The bureau: xcom declassified" A horribly broken game that had nothing to do with the initial pitch they presented at first and with the x-com franchise as a whole besides "ALIENS!". Story made no sense (aliens attack all over the USA and in the end no one knows about it, X-com central and all its research gets blown up so they can explain why no one in later x-com games has advanced tech etc. etc.)

Scarry how similiar the histories of these two games are.

First prey was great allbeit maybe a bit to grimdark, having a native american as a protagonist was cool too even if it was merely cosmetic.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
I like it. Prey lost its' charm about halfway through. Plus its' mechanics ere outdated now other games have elaborated on them so well. Oh Whatever. Why speculate positivity in this climate? Is that a sign of weakness here?
I think most of the negativity stems from the dumped planned sequel which many (including myself) think looked far more interesting than this new take, and how Bethesda basically fucked the developers over.

That said I'm personally still interested in this game, if only because Chris Avellone is involved.