Inferno - Are We Finally Done With Dan Brown?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Inferno - Are We Finally Done With Dan Brown?

I like The Da Vinci Code as much as anyone, but the return on investment has turned negative in the ten years since its release.

Read Full Article

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
It does sound like I will enjoy it (maybe not in the theatres...)

I did like angels and demons especially for how dumb it was. Plus it reminded me of my holiday in Rome. Plus I enjoyed going 'pffft this is wrong or at least inaccurate' atthe movie.

I'll probably wait until I can watch it at home with friends and riff on it.

(I thought Da Vinci code was okay... but it's hype and people taking it seriously kinda soured me on it...)

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Marter said:
The world has moved on from Dan Brown novels; the movies should, too.
Is it just me, or is this line of criticism (that you can see everywhere these days) kind of... odd? Essentially it's saying "this stuff is no longer trendy, so nobody should make/like it." Because it's everyone's duty to be fully current with our entertainment, so we can all have One Epic Zeitgeist together? All the Fandom ('scuse me while I cringe at the term) enjoying the approved Product as one mighty undifferentiated mass!

The reviewer doesn't care for the movie; that's cool. I'm not overly thrilled by the prospect of it either, not even having liked The Da Vinci Code. But is there no way to present this opinion without some obligatory anti-Inferno "community building", as it were? Leery as I am of some of the more elevated claims for the "Artistic" value of much pop culture fodder, I still find this approach of treating it as nothing but a matter of badges of belonging, disposable at the whim of "trend-setters", somewhat shocking.

Note that I don't mean to single out this particular reviewer for adopting this reductive view of culture. As I said, it's everywhere: fittingly enough, an epidemic in itself. This just happened to be the moment when the grinding of my gears finally produced a spark.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
MC1980 said:
Done? There are 2 more books (one releasing in 2017) to make movies from. And if they take as long to make as this one, there'll be 3 more by the time those adaptations are made. You'll be watching these movies until either Tom Hanks or Ron Howard dies.

This film will make a fraction of the last one let alone the Da Vinci Code so I doubt there will be a 4th regardless of how many books are published in the series.

Also I like that the film makers scrapped an adaption of the 3rd book the Lost Symbol to instead adapt the 4th recognising that the 3rd was terrible.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
The first book I experienced was this one ... I didn't read it but I did audio book it and I liked it, no idea how great it is 'cos I'm not a book person at all.

Then I went onto listen to all the other Robert Langdon books and they were at least entertaining and intriguing. However, I then went on to watch angels and demons movie and yeash, then I watched The Da Vinci Code and still no better, so I gave up.

Maybe it was the "there is a lot missing from the book" syndrome but I didn't enjoy them as much I as I expected and Inferno was my favourite of the books, so I don't want to watch the movie and ruin my memories of it.

In all honesty, I didn't even know that they were making this movie ... where is marketing?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Je-Tze said:
LOL. I feel like 'the world has moved on from Matthew Parkinson as a movie reviewer, The Escapist should too.'
Dan Brown? Is that you? You can tell us, dude, we won't judge!

OT: Say what you will about Dan Brown novels, but I haven't read one single book that didn't burn more efficiently than the average corpse these days.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
MC1980 said:
Done? There are 2 more books (one releasing in 2017) to make movies from. And if they take as long to make as this one, there'll be 3 more by the time those adaptations are made. You'll be watching these movies until either Tom Hanks or Ron Howard dies.

This film will make a fraction of the last one let alone the Da Vinci Code so I doubt there will be a 4th regardless of how many books are published in the series.

Also I like that the film makers scrapped an adaption of the 3rd book the Lost Symbol to instead adapt the 4th recognising that the 3rd was terrible.
I opened up the third one in the library to see if it was any good. Right away, I noticed a factual error that was so obvious I put it down right away.

Je-Tze

Aug 26, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Je-Tze said:
LOL. I feel like 'the world has moved on from Matthew Parkinson as a movie reviewer, The Escapist should too.'
Dan Brown? Is that you? You can tell us, dude, we won't judge!

OT: Say what you will about Dan Brown novels, but I haven't read one single book that didn't burn more efficiently than the average corpse these days.
LOL. It's likely you misunderstand me; and to be fair, I was being obtuse. I'm not defending the book nor the movie. Though I do think it probably deserves more like a 3/5 for being a fairly run of the mill action thriller, with a slightly more fun/interesting background subject matter.

My real objectives were:
#1- The pure comedic wordplay of turning Matthew Parkinson's lame statement back on him.
#2- Jokingly pointing out that he is actually a terrible reviewer, because more often than not he cites his own personal feelings and/or popular 'hipster' trends as reasons for movies being bad(or occasionally, good), rather than CRITICALLY examining the actual qualities of the film.