Nintendo President Says 3DS Will Continue "In Its Own Form" After Switch Launch

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo President Says 3DS Will Continue "In Its Own Form" After Switch Launch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1358/1358718.jpgIt sounds like Nintendo plans to keep making games for the 3DS even after the Switch is released.

There's been some concern among Nintendo fans that the launch of the Switch next year might spell the end of the 3DS. After all, the newly announced console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168662-Nintendo-Switch-Revealed] can be used as a portable handheld device, so why would Nintendo need a dedicated handheld? If you're worried, you can relax - the 3DS isn't going anywhere.

In an interview with Bloomberg [https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-28/nintendo-s-big-switch-q-a-with-president-tatsumi-kimishima], Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima explained that, "Thanks to our software, the 3DS is still growing." That growth is why Nintendo believes the handheld can continue to be successful, and that, "rather than being cannibalized by the Switch, we think the 3DS can continue in its own form."

It sounds like the 3DS will continue to receive support once the Switch is out. Of course, that's something that will likely only continue as long as the 3DS continues its market success. If Nintendo sees a lot of people bailing on the 3DS to play on Switch instead, it very well might change its tune.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Until the Switch can play 3DS games, it will still have its own utility. It does really beg the question what they plan to do with a new portable, now. Personally I think the 3DS is in a pretty decent place as far as a good handheld. I think the fact that there's still a Pokemon game that had yet to be released for it proves that they're gonna keep it around for a few years at least.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why didn't they just make the switch thing be able to play 3ds games?
It even has a touchscreen.
If it did, nintendo wouldn't have 2 different handhelds with mutually exclusive libraries.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
the switch is too bulky and too fragile too replace the 3ds. obviously, i've never used one, but i know it's more fragile because it's a modern gaming console. i'm sure they made some improvements to protect it from drops, but no way it will ever be as sturdy as the 3ds. especially without a clamshell.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
martyrdrebel27 said:
the switch is too bulky and too fragile too replace the 3ds. obviously, i've never used one, but i know it's more fragile because it's a modern gaming console. i'm sure they made some improvements to protect it from drops, but no way it will ever be as sturdy as the 3ds. especially without a clamshell.
Honestly, i dont think fragility matters. Unless you intend to buy the switch for a child. Adults carry tablets, phones and laptops without breaking them. I don't see why they couldn't carry the switch also.

OT: It all depends on the games really. The 3ds has so many different genres and styles of games. If the switch can acquire a decent enough selection of games to make the 3ds obsolete, then i guess the switch will take priority. If not the 3ds will strive like always

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Honestly, i dont think fragility matters. Unless you intend to buy the switch for a child. Adults carry tablets, phones and laptops without breaking them. I don't see why they couldn't carry the switch also.

OT: It all depends on the games really. The 3ds has so many different genres and styles of games. If the switch can acquire a decent enough selection of games to make the 3ds obsolete, then i guess the switch will take priority. If not the 3ds will strive like always
i get your point, but this week alone i know people who accidentally broke a laptop and someone who broke a phone. adults break these things all the time. generally, they're covered by replacement plans (depending on the tablet i suppose) but there is no such protection offered for gaming consoles. and even if this isn't a legitimate concern, it's legitimate enough that it will effect consumer buying habits, people who have the mentality i first spoke of, but who then don't follow up on forums, or participate so deeply in the culture.

or a parent buying for a kid, the bread and butter of nintendo, they are not going to trust the children so easily with such an expensive, unprotected device.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Of course it will. Because the 3DS is actually a useful conveniently sized and rugged handheld. It'll always have a market.

Meanwhile I'm utterly unconvinced that people are going to use the Switch in the way Nintendo have marketed it (note that this isn't the same thing as saying it won't sell as a console, just that its 'gimmick' isn't actually all that great). The thing looks fairly massive for a handheld because its...well its a tablet. The only practical uses for it are to use it on things like planes and trains instead of a tablet or to take it round to game with friends sometimes. I can't see people pulling it out to just play around a bit whilst sitting on the bus or something as happens with other handhelds or phones.

The 3DS is basically infinitely more convenient and will slip into a pocket. The Switch won't because its huge. They'd be foolish to kill off the 3DS.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
hentropy said:
Until the Switch can play 3DS games, it will still have its own utility. It does really beg the question what they plan to do with a new portable, now. Personally I think the 3DS is in a pretty decent place as far as a good handheld. I think the fact that there's still a Pokemon game that had yet to be released for it proves that they're gonna keep it around for a few years at least.

What they are saying is basically. We will only put pokemon on the 3ds so people will have to buy both.

Canibalize the 3ds or shoot the switch in the knee. These are the choices nintendo has to balance because the mobile functionality of the switch.. makes no sense on it's own. unless iof course your target audience is children. Which makes sense. Most adults will not have to get up from the TV to game on the go. Because you know. they will have other things to be occupied with , like the thing they went out for.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
It's worth noting that Nintendo claimed the ds line wasn't going to replace the game boy line, we all saw how that turned out

They're likely pulling the same thing here, voice support for continuing to support the 3ds and waiting for the dust to settle with the Switch before deciding if it'll replace the 3ds as well as the Wii U

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
"Continue in its own form"

Yes, and when people die they become the grass, and the animals eat the grass, so we'll all continue in our own form.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
No it won't. New games will dry up rather quickly.

If you're worried, you can relax - the 3DS isn't going anywhere.
This really says nothing at all. Of course the 3DS isn't going anywhere, it's not like they would pull it off the market. It doesn't say that new games will continue to come for it and that's the important part.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima explained that, "Thanks to our software, the 3DS is still growing."
Right, existing games, not new games. No mention here of new games. Nintendo doesn't continue making games for old hardware once new hardware launches and this will be no exception. The only new games are the ones that are already on the way. It's not like Nintendo is going to make new 3DS games starting after the Switch launches.

That growth is why Nintendo believes the handheld can continue to be successful, and that, "rather than being cannibalized by the Switch, we think the 3DS can continue in its own form."
Continue as is, not with new games.

It sounds like the 3DS will continue to receive support once the Switch is out.
No it doesn't.

Of course, that's something that will likely only continue as long as the 3DS continues its market success. If Nintendo sees a lot of people bailing on the 3DS to play on Switch instead, it very well might change its tune.
You mean the 3DS is just the safety net and if people are worried about new 3DS games, they should continue to worry. The 3DS is the new Game Boy line that died with the success of the DS.

Let me be clear, I know and expected 3DS games to stop being started and I think that's fine, it's how things work. What irritates me is things like this where a company executive makes a vague statement and people treat it like something it's not.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Lightspeaker said:
Of course it will. Because the 3DS is actually a useful conveniently sized and rugged handheld. It'll always have a market.

Meanwhile I'm utterly unconvinced that people are going to use the Switch in the way Nintendo have marketed it (note that this isn't the same thing as saying it won't sell as a console, just that its 'gimmick' isn't actually all that great). The thing looks fairly massive for a handheld because its...well its a tablet. The only practical uses for it are to use it on things like planes and trains instead of a tablet or to take it round to game with friends sometimes. I can't see people pulling it out to just play around a bit whilst sitting on the bus or something as happens with other handhelds or phones.

The 3DS is basically infinitely more convenient and will slip into a pocket. The Switch won't because its huge. They'd be foolish to kill off the 3DS.
The Switch is more handheld than console. They made a hybrid so they wouldn't have to support 2 systems. They won't continue to make new games for the 3DS.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
Makes some sense.. A 3DS is a cheaper alternative, at the very least.

And in terms of fragility, there's the 2DS. Otherwise, the Switch is going to be about as flimsy as the 3DS. It's not really a factor for travel.

Also, one thing I never understood. Who actually carries a 3DS in their pocket? If so, where are you going that you don't need your wallet, phone and keys? And where are you taking your DS that you're travelling far enough to warrant playing a games console, but close enough that you don't need a rucksack of any kind?
I personally haven't had trouble getting both my 3ds and phone to fit in the same pocket of my jeans (even less trouble if I'm wearing, say, cargo pants) when I do happen to bring it with me. You only really run into an issue if you need to sit down, and even then, odds are if you brought your 3ds with you someplace you'd end up sitting down, you probably brought it to burn time while doing said sitting.

Edit: And as far as places go, taking my car to the shop to get some quick work done and waiting at the doctor's both come to mind.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If the 3DS is the cheaper, more convenient portable option (as most people are suggesting here) then what's the point of the Switch?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
So the Switch either succeeds and makes the NEW 3DS redundant, or it fails, in which case their still boned. Even if the two items maintain separate libraries, their still competing with one another for the same market. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't taken further control of the mobile market. That's the one area where they have a real edge. They could conquer the phone app market if they wanted. Flood the phones with certain Nintendo games in order to capture the casual market while releasing handhelds for the hardcore audience.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I mean, if anything else, only one of those systems will fit in a pocket. Console games don't really play the same way, even if you're holding it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
weirdee said:
I mean, if anything else, only one of those systems will fit in a pocket. Console games don't really play the same way, even if you're holding it.
Unless they are console games being played on a handheld.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Lufia Erim said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

i get your point, but this week alone i know people who accidentally broke a laptop and someone who broke a phone. adults break these things all the time. generally, they're covered by replacement plans (depending on the tablet i suppose) but there is no such protection offered for gaming consoles. and even if this isn't a legitimate concern, it's legitimate enough that it will effect consumer buying habits, people who have the mentality i first spoke of, but who then don't follow up on forums, or participate so deeply in the culture.

or a parent buying for a kid, the bread and butter of nintendo, they are not going to trust the children so easily with such an expensive, unprotected device.
Nintendo has never rolled like that, though. See this drop test of the Wii U gamepad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQpKh9ma88

You can find videos of people trying to destroy Wii Us and other Nintendo consoles and having to resort to sledgehammers, and even then taking quite a few whacks before they do more than dent the casing.

Hell, there's a Game Boy that got bombed during the Gulf War, and the only thing they needed to replace was the screen. It's at Nintendo World in NYC, and it still plays.

So yeah, when Nintendo makes something handheld, the first thing they ask themselves is "What if someone drops it?"

You can be sure that the Switch will handle a few drops. Hell, if you get mugged, you can probably use it to bludgeon your attacker to death.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Did everyone in this thread miss when they announced that the Switch won't play 3DS games? The 3DS will be fine. Its really the Switch taking off that should be worrying people. This is basically Nintendo's "Sega Saturn" if it flops.