New Steam Beta Adds Support for DualShock 4 Controller

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Steam Beta Adds Support for DualShock 4 Controller

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1359/1359318.jpgIf you're opted into the Steam beta client, you can now use your DualShock 4 to play your Steam games.

Last month, we learned that Valve would be adding support for Sony's DualShock 4 controller to Steam. That support is now live in the new Steam client beta.

The most recent Client Beta update says that Steam will now offer "the same sort of customization/configuration support as Steam Controllers, including native API support" to the DualShock 4. All you need to do to start using yours is head into your Big Picture settings, and enable it in the tab labeled "Add/Test" in the controller section. Once you've done that, you'll be good to go, and you'll even see PS4 icons in games.

This is a nice addition for PC gamers, especially if you already own a PS4. The DualShock 4 is one of my favorite console controllers, and I look forward to trying it out on the PC.

You can find all the information on the beta in the new patch notes [http://www.pcgamer.com/steams-dualshock-4-support-is-now-in-beta/].

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Well, I guess if you don't have input mapper... But, yeah. It's somewhat official pc support.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Interesting. I bought a Steam Controller a while back mostly just to see what the deal was, and I have to say the customization options have been the best feature. Like, not only has it made JoyToKey unnecessary, it's allowed me to control an FPS that has no mouselook support in a more or less conventional fashion ? forward and back on the stick to walk, left and right on the pad to turn. The biggest gripe has been that the face buttons are kind of an uncomfortable reach, something I don't think they could ever fix with a revision.

I feel like the "PS4 icons in games" thing will be limited to certain games with native support just like with the Steam Controller prompts, because there's no damn way they could hack that into every single game just by using the Steam Overlay.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Took a while to get it working, but it is actually really good. Similar customisation to the steam controller(as far as i know) and even supports the virtual keyboard which is really nice. Pretty easy to configure once you get into it and replaces both inputmapper/ds4windows and joytokey at least as long as you play through steam. it would be nice to be able to edit the desktop configuration without going to big bicture mode though.

Haven't tested with multiple controllers though. Some room or improvement here and there but honestly, really impressed.