Praise Our Google Overlords: 9 Out of 10 Smartphones Run Android

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Praise Our Google Overlords: 9 Out of 10 Smartphones Run Android

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1023/1023169.jpg
Google's market share is much bigger than you'd think.

On the surface (especially in the US), you would assume that Google and Apple have a healthy competition when it comes to smartphone adoption. However, the real story is that Google is absoltuely crushing it with Android, as a new report suggests that almost 9 out of every 10 smartphones is running Google's operating system.

Android shipped 328.6 million units in the three months to the end of September, while Apple only moved 45.5 million iPhones, according to the Strategy Analytics (via CNBC [http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/03/google-android-hits-market-share-record-with-nearly-9-in-every-10-smartphones-using-it.html]) report. This means Android made up 87.5 percent of global smartphone market share.

The report shows that Google is up 10.3 percent year-on-year, while Apple is down 5.2 percent. According to courageous move [http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/25/apple-reports-fiscal-fourth-quarter-2016-earnings.html] didn't pay off for Apple.

As for Microsoft, BlackBerry, and Samsung's proprietary operating systems - they have "all but disappeared". Collectively, they only make up 0.3 percent of total market share.

Source: CNBC [http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/03/google-android-hits-market-share-record-with-nearly-9-in-every-10-smartphones-using-it.html]

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
What Nexus phone is that?

Anyway, that's pretty impressive. I mean, we all knew Android was much bigger than Apple at this point, but damn 9 out of 10 is crazy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I was just re-watching the Second Renaissance on Youtube...now I feel very paranoid. Imma go sit in a corner and pretend the Machines aren't coming to get me.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Marik2 said:
What other OS are there for phones?
Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile, Blackberry OS, Amazon Fire Phone (2yr old?), um...Linex mobile (aka Ubuntu for phones)

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
Marik2 said:
What other OS are there for phones?
Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile, Blackberry OS, Amazon Fire Phone (2yr old?), um...Linex mobile (aka Ubuntu for phones)
Is blackberry os any good? I don't like it when Google is in everything.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The fact that you can get an Android-based phone for literally a tenth of the cost of an iPhone, from a rainbow panoply of manufacturers, might have something to do with it.

My wife has a couple of iProducts, and she likes them, but let's face it- sometimes having a device that has phone service, a camera, Internet access, a GPS, a variety of apps, and more computing power than any PC on the market fifteen years ago in your pocket is enough.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Callate said:
The fact that you can get an Android-based phone for literally a tenth of the cost of an iPhone, from a rainbow panoply of manufacturers, might have something to do with it.
Android still supporting 3.5mm probably hasn't hurt them either.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
008Zulu said:
Callate said:
Android still supporting 3.5mm probably hasn't hurt them either.
That's less Google's decision (outside of their own Nexus/Pixel phones) than it is the discretion of the handset manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Huawei, Sony Ericsson etc. I mean it's good that they aren't all fucking stupid and continue to support a universal format but don't pretend that all that stands between you and a proprietary headphone jack is Android.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Marik2 said:
Is blackberry os any good? I don't like it when Google is in everything.
It doesn't exist any more, all new Blackberry phones run Android.

As for the article, it seems a bit odd to say that Samsung's operating systems have disappeared, given that Tizen was only ever released on a couple of phones in India in the first place. You can't lose market share if you never had it to begin with.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
I was just re-watching the Second Renaissance on Youtube...now I feel very paranoid. Imma go sit in a corner and pretend the Machines aren't coming to get me.
It gets better...

This guy is the Engineering director of Google.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I greatly prefer Apple's mobile products myself but it doesn't surprise me at all that android owns the market. The reasons for this split are the same reasons for the windows/Mac split. Those reasons are also why I own nothing but apple mobile devices but also won't own a Mac. No fanboyism for either choice.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
That's really weird actually because I see about a 33-50% split in Apple and Android phones when I'm in public. Although maybe that's because I'm living in Seattle: Oregon Edition.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
87.5% huh? Wasn't Pac Bell only at 85% market control when they got hit for being a monopoly?

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Ukomba said:
87.5% huh? Wasn't Pac Bell only at 85% market control when they got hit for being a monopoly?
Google isn't actively pushing the competition out of business or trying to buy them up though.
You can't really punish anyone for everyone else being shit or giving up.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Naqel said:
Ukomba said:
Google isn't actively pushing the competition out of business or trying to buy them up though.
You can't really punish anyone for everyone else being shit or giving up.
They are being very careful with how they maintain their overwhelming market share and their targets for accusations. Still, their multiple areas of monopoly are a bit worrying.