Trolls - It's Actually About Drugs

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Trolls - It's Actually About Drugs

Trolls is a relatively harmless - and kind of fun - animated movie ... that also functions as a metaphor about drug use.

Read Full Article

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I have never personally understood the appeal of Trolls. The whole franchise. I get ponies, I get Cabbage Patch Kids, and other ugly-to-me-but-really-popular-for-some-reason 80s phenomena. But I just don't get Trolls dolls, I don't see how anyone can genuinely find them cute (this movie helps in that regard a little, but the rock trolls from Frozen were cuter and no on cares about them), and I'm not sure what about their lore is interesting. Maybe you just had to be there. They just seems to endure despite all odds. Good on them, I guess.

Anyway, animated movies that feel the need to cram in sugary, kid-friendly pop songs every so often make me physically ill so they lost me on that point.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I saw the Midnight Screenings review. They said its one of the best films to watch while high.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Don't need to worry, that looks and sounds like quite an on-the-nose metaphor for drugs, and, if we're really reaching; anti-depressants. Though I think the latter is far too different and weak to consider really. Perhaps the habitual behaviour by people dependant on activities that only temporarily increase happiness? Eh...just say drugs.
They do all look rather edible though, I don't blame the humans for eating them.

hentropy said:
I have never personally understood the appeal of Trolls. The whole franchise. I get ponies, I get Cabbage Patch Kids, and other ugly-to-me-but-really-popular-for-some-reason 80s phenomena. But I just don't get Trolls dolls, I don't see how anyone can genuinely find them cute.
The thing is, I don't think they were ever meant to be cute, like, think boglins but smaller with hair-dos. Really they were just a novelty you'd put on the end of your pencil and fiddle with the hair if you're bored in class. Cute is not a word I ever seen anybody relate to them.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
" Am I thinking too much about this? Probably, but I'm sticking with it! It makes as much sense as other fan theories out there."
There are other fan theories about Trolls?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
" Am I thinking too much about this? Probably, but I'm sticking with it! It makes as much sense as other fan theories out there."
There are other fan theories about Trolls?
Fan theories in general.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"Am I thinking too much about this?"

Well, Zootopia is an allagory to racism and prejudice, Kung Fu Panda 3 had the (not that subtle) theme of being true to oneself, Angry Birds was a film that preeched the virtues of xenophobia and anti-immigration policies, Finding Dory touched on issues of mental disability and how friends and family deal with it, and The Peanuts Movie was a film based around the idea that your actions and intentions are what define you as a person, not necessarily the measure of your success. This also in a year where a film about talking food (that I haven't seen) was a metaphor for blind faith.

So no, I don't think you're thinking too hard about anything.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"They're eating here. Then they'e going to eat me. Oh my Goddddddddddddddddddddd!"

Yeah, put that line in somehow or don't bother.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
RaikuFA said:
I saw the Midnight Screenings review. They said its one of the best films to watch while high.
*dies laughing*

That is the best type of recommendation I've ever heard of. :D

OT: So basically, a good kid's movie with some decent songs thrown in. Cool.