Bethesda Offers Suggestions to Improve Dishonored 2 PC Performance

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bethesda Offers Suggestions to Improve Dishonored 2 PC Performance

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1361/1361268.jpgWith performance issues being reported for Dishonored 2 on PC, Bethesda offers a few suggestions.

After Dishonored 2 launched for pre-order customers yesterday, players on PC reported running into performance issues [<a href=]. The game's Steam page is filled with reviews citing the problems even those with pretty powerful rigs are encountering. Arkane has said they're looking into the issues, but for now, Bethesda offers up a few suggestions that might help your game run better.

The suggestions come from an updated post on Bethesda.net [https://bethesda.net/en/article/4niPcXgvlmM0a6suYe220S/dishonored-2-gone-gold-and-system-requirements]. Most of them are the things you'd expect, like lowering the resolution, but it's worth giving them a try if you're having problems.

General recommendations

Avoid using Alt-Tab when playing. Relaunch the game if you see performance dropping after using Alt-tab.
Avoid having background applications running in addition to the game.

Video Settings

If you have performance issues, try lowering the resolution.
Use 1440p resolution only if you have a very high-end GPU ( GTX 1070/1080 or equivalent)
Keep the V-Sync activated, especially if you have large framerate fluctuations.
If you have framerate under 30 fps, adjust the "Adaptive Resolution" between minimum (50%) and default value (75%).

Advanced Settings

Use the "Auto" presets: this should adjust your visual settings without impacting your framerate.
If you still have performance issues with "Auto" presets:
Try deactivating the "TXAA Anti-Aliasing"
Try lowering the texture details

These suggestions may seem basic, but in many cases, they can help at least improve performance. They may not fix all your issues, but until Arkane issues a patch to address them, these steps may be an effective stopgap. Hopefully, that patch will come soon.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
AzrealMaximillion said:
Why does so much of what Bethesda touch have so many problems at launch?
And yet people still act surprised.

Still, this was unexpected from Arkane. Maybe some stringent release timing from Bethesda pushed the game out early.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I half expected their response to just be some long rambling story about how they didn't used to have videogames and had to use a ball and string for entertainment followed up by them saying "damn kids."

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ommitted suggestions from Bethesda's list:

* "Consider playing our game on a real computer. You don't want anyone thinking you're lacking in other departments, do you?"

* "Exit to the main screen, lower your expectations, and resume play."

* "Remember when John Romero said he was going to make you his *****? Ha ha, good times. We know better than to say it, but we're presuming the message is pretty much implicit at this point."

* "Wait for the Game of the Year edition, which will have all the patches as well as all the inevitable DLC, for the same price. Seriously, you people don't learn, do you? See point #3, above."

(tongue thoroughly in cheek.)

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
AzrealMaximillion said:
Why does so much of what Bethesda touch have so many problems at launch?
You know what QA testing is? Because Bethesda don't.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
09philj said:
Now listen here you, you can disparage Bethesda all you want, but don't attack Jose and Manuel like that. They are simple janitors who don't speak much English, and didn't want to be put in charge of Q&A. It's all Bethesda's fault.

sarcasm in case it wasn't obvious

OT; I would be more likely to blame the people who did the PC port. Somewhat ironic that the Master Race are considered to be second class citizens. Ultimate first world problem.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
008Zulu said:
09philj said:
Now listen here you, you can disparage Bethesda all you want, but don't attack Jose and Manuel like that. They are simple janitors who don't speak much English, and didn't want to be put in charge of Q&A. It's all Bethesda's fault.

sarcasm in case it wasn't obvious

OT; I would be more likely to blame the people who did the PC port. Somewhat ironic that the Master Race are considered to be second class citizens. Ultimate first world problem.
Now listen here you, you can disparage Bethesda all you want, but don't attack Jose and Manuel like that. They are simple janitors who don't speak much English, and didn't want to be put in charge of the PC port. It's all Bethesda's fault.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
MercurySteam said:
Kibeth41 said:
About every PC port is buggy as hell. It's less the fact that it has any relevance to Bethesda. It's more the fact that porting games to PC is an absolute ballache.
But all sources seem to point to the PC version not being a port which makes Arkane look really incompetent. I get it though, new game engine, untested and all that but c'mon guys we expected better from you. Add to that Bethesda's new policy of not shipping early copies for review which is nothing short of dubious and you get a right fine mess that nobody saw coming.
When the majority of PC games come with their own independent issues. Perhaps it's not the fault of the devs, and just difficulty with the system itself.

And perhaps when it's the case. The clueless community should stop being petulant children, whining about the devs, who ultimately did a pretty darn good job.

Really now. It's just ironic that you're calling me a child. When the entire "PC Master race" bandwagon has to be one of the most pessimistic, negative communities.

When there's a common trend between tons of unrelated companies. Perhaps it can only be considered immature to continue pointing the blame at every dev.

I'd like for half of the whiners to try and learn programming themselves to a professional standard. They'll bump into all of the same issues.
While the causes of PC issues at release may differ depending on what the game is developed on, typically the issues have a pattern. Those include but are not limited to, framerate drops and general bad peformance, crashes and general instability, sound mixer issues, lack of support of certain technologies and the list goes on.

And before we start labelling the communities, if you're getting noticeable FPS drops and game freezing/crashing, no matter the system you're playing on then the community will inevitably chuck a shit and rightfully so too. If you had the same issues regularly on consoles you'd see a similar reaction. And God forbid that people who paid full price for a title at release expect a working game. What entitled whiners! Oh the humanity!

And yes, coding games to work across such a wide range of hardware/software is no easy feat, but when the community itself can come out with fixes and even community patches to fix inherently broken games (Dark Souls, Fallout: NV, etc) then you can't really say outright that community doesn't know what it's like when they'll be fixing games during and well after the devs have stopped supporting them. PC version not working? A delayed release to get the game playable on release is generally looked favourably upon.

Just release a relatively working product, that's all that anyone asked.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
You'll usually notice that the community fixing the bugs isn't the same community bitching about the devs. That small portion are individuals who do something, rather than whining.

And the devs aren't some kind of higher beings. The individuals outside the company fixing the issues are generally around the same skill level, it not better than the devs themselves.

Note: It doesn't mean the devs are incompetent. It just means they're human.

I find it baffling that you're trying to defend and rationalize a community acting like spoiled brats, and you've the nerve to try and call me a child.

Yeah, perhaps you should try and think about what you're arguing for.
Then I challenge you to go and read the forums and see what's actually happening. What you'll find isn't everyone unified in bashing Arkane but rather people working with them, submitting DX dump files and bug reports to try and give them the data they need to work on fixes. You may see a small number of people returning their copies, but as consumers they have that right. Arkane has a good rep and they aren't known for typically releasing badly coded games and if you go look at their Twitter they're constantly coming out with statements which is good to see the issues aren't being ignored.

So tell me who exactly you think are acting like spoiled brats, as it's clear you're out of touch with what's actually going on.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Kibeth41 said:
Great. You're sampling the exact same minority I did. Difference is that you're pretending that minority is every fucking user.

I can literally see about 5 posts on this thread alone bashing Bethesda and Arkane for their efforts to put the game on a generally aggravating system. On other threads and forums, there are more. On less moderated forums, the responses get worse.

Perhaps try not covering your eyes and ears?

Unless.. Unless it's that you've literally just realized what you were defending, and now you're trying to claim "literally no one's doing that" so you don't lose an oh-so-important internet argument.

So which is it? Ignorance, or stubbornness?
Mate I'm not sure what problem you've got with the PCMR, maybe they kicked your dog or dumped on your front door, but it's clear you have an issue where can only see the bad. I tried to extend an olive branch but as usual to put your hands over your ears and screamed at the top of your lungs. Indeed all communities have a balance of people that are constantly outraged and people that understand that shit happens and will be fixed.

If someone pays for a working product and receives a sub-standard product is entirely justified to voice your opinion. Moreover than that, taking an apologetic stance saying it could never be the dev's fault ever is fucking shameful to say the least. But as I've already stated, Arkane are held in hight regard and most people understand that they're doing everything they can to fix the game, we can ask no more.

You on the other hand are content to look at things in shades of black and white and allow for no middle ground when the truth is painfully obvious.

So which is it? Ignorance, or stubbornness?

Anyway I'm done with this line of warped logic, I get nothing from arguing it and I'm wasting time which could be better spent playing this fantastic game. Try not to rock the stroller, eh?

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
When it's been such a common trend for fucking forever with THE MAJORITY of PC games, from most developers. Then it's a clear sign that it's probably not their fault.
Oh, is that so? And where did that little nugget of information come from? Oh, right, you just made that up to fit your little narrative.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
Damian Porter said:
Kibeth41 said:
When it's been such a common trend for fucking forever with THE MAJORITY of PC games, from most developers. Then it's a clear sign that it's probably not their fault.
Oh, is that so? And where did that little nugget of information come from? Oh, right, you just made that up to fit your little narrative.
No it isn't. It's an extremely common occurence which some people (apparently like yourself) vehemently deny with every new game because you don't want to admit that there's an inherently bad flaw about PCs.

You're a liar if you claim you've never been met with an issue with a PC title. Ans you'd be plain ignorant to claim that you've not seen at least one of these threads for many other games.
No, I don't vehemently try to deny that PC games don't get bugs. Nice try, though.