Nintendo Addresses NES Classic Edition Avaliability

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Addresses NES Classic Edition Avaliability

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1336/1336237.jpg
Nintendo of America assures us that there will be a steady flow of NES Classic stock through Christmas and the new year.

If you were looking to get your hands on a NES Classic Edition at launch, you're pretty much out of luck [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168815-NES-Classic-Edition-Sold-Out-Everywhere], as the retro throwback is struggling with supply issues pretty much everywhere it is available. It's understandably a hot item - especially during the holiday season - as it would make a perfect gift for any old-school Nintendo fan. Nintendo of America has come out and made a statement on the console's availability, assuring us that while there are some issues with stock that a steady flow of new Nes Classic stock will be available through Christmas and the new year.

"The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system is a hot item, and we are working hard to keep up with consumer demand," Tweeted [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/797124398813626372?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw] Nintendo. "There will be a steady flow of additional systems through the holiday shopping season and into the new year."

It urged fans to check with their local retailers to see when new stock is made available, and offered a list of official NES Classic retailers [http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic].

So, if you haven't managed to pick one up and were umming and ahhing over those stupidly expensive scalped [http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Classic-Edition-Mini-30-GAMES-Console-Entertainment-System-In-Hand-/322326479476?hash=item4b0c27c274:g:49UAAOSwHMJYJ7DZ] consoles on eBay, you may want to hold off for a few weeks. Who knows? Maybe Nintendo will actually come through for once.

Source: Nintendo of America [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/797124398813626372?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
You know. With an item like this. It is impossible to know just how many people actually want to buy one. With roms and people who already own these games, stocking the shelves with these is a shot in the dark. So i dont blame nintendo for understocking them.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Good luck getting one in the future if stores continue to get single digit shipments of the product like all the comments I've seen pop up. Gamestops and walmart and other crap getting only 4-7 individual things is really stupid, and can be blamed on nintendo because this is the exact same issue that happened with Amiibo's.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This thing has Ghosts N Goblins!? I just threw my money so hard at my screen, it is embedded in the wall behind it. I hope they also release a SNES version of this.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
This is really pretty stupid, especially given that this is something so rare I'd've thought it nonexistent: a situation where pre-ordering makes sense. We know the NES was good, we know the games were good, and it's hard to judge how many people will want this sort of thing; it would've made perfect sense.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
008Zulu said:
This thing has Ghosts N Goblins!? I just threw my money so hard at my screen, it is embedded in the wall behind it. I hope they also release a SNES version of this.
SNES games are pretty much the NES Library of games but polished and improved.

Why play NES Metroid when Super Metroid is clearly superior.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
008Zulu said:
SNES games are pretty much the NES Library of games but polished and improved.

Why play NES Metroid when Super Metroid is clearly superior.
Because they are different games? Super Metroid is superior but it is also a different game, this is true for most nes and snes games. I mean it's kind of like asking why would you ever play Castlevania symphony of the night, because Castlevania aria of sorrow is better(just throwing as an example does not matter which one is actually better)

Also you might have nostalgia for different eras, and NES games are generally simpler gameplay-wise which is better for some people.

conanthegamer

Sep 19, 2008
Nintendo knows what it is doing. Their doing this intentionally. They know very well that scarcity can increase demand.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I didn't even know the poxy thing was out until this morning when my brother said so whilst also informing me that no where has it in stock. Well fuck Nintendo this time, I never had a NES and was looking forward to actually playing these fucking titles but I'm not shelling out over 100 quid on eBay for something I could emulate.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
There's no reason for shortages on this kind of stuff these days. They could have had enough for a decent stream right off the bat based off of the pre-orders from months ago. They did this with the Wii, and they did this with Amiibos. Nintendo, just make enough stock already.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Using a photo of Chris McVeigh's Lego NES [http://chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_gaming.html] for the thumbnail was a nice touch, by the way.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Wouldn't it be in Nintendo's best interest to make this thing more available? I mean, they don't like seeing their games emulated, so isn't this cheap, convenient package the best possible solution to combat such piracy?

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
Sheo_Dagana said:
Wouldn't it be in Nintendo's best interest to make this thing more available? I mean, they don't like seeing their games emulated, so isn't this cheap, convenient package the best possible solution to combat such piracy?
They will make it available after a couple weeks, then they will triumphantly say that "They've produced enough devices for the unexpected demand!" to make it seem like it's far more popular than they could have ever expected, not an artificial shortage at all. Because people'll still buy it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Lufia Erim said:
You know. With an item like this. It is impossible to know just how many people actually want to buy one. With roms and people who already own these games, stocking the shelves with these is a shot in the dark. So i dont blame nintendo for understocking them.
It was announced, to much interest, months ago. Nintendo obviously wasn't paying attention.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
WeepingAngels said:
Lufia Erim said:
It was announced, to much interest, months ago. Nintendo obviously wasn't paying attention.
Just like when people say they want a game made, then it's made and no one buys it. It happens a lot. Gamers are not to be trusted.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Lufia Erim said:
WeepingAngels said:
Lufia Erim said:
Just like when people say they want a game made, then it's made and no one buys it. It happens a lot. Gamers are not to be trusted.
Well with that attitude Nintendo can be justified in always understocking.

- 'There is little interest in this device' - Nintendo is justified in understocking.
- 'There is lots of interest in this device' - Gamers are not trustworthy, Nintendo is justified in understocking.