The Elder Scrolls Online Free Play Weekend Kicks Off Today

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Elder Scrolls Online Free Play Weekend Kicks Off Today

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1361/1361934.jpgZenimax Online kicks off an extended free weekend for The Elder Scrolls Online today, but only on PC, Mac, and PS4.

If you've wanted to try out The Elder Scrolls Online, but didn't want to pony up the $30 price of entry, this is your lucky day. Well, it's your lucky weekend, to be precise.

Today, Zenimax Online is kicking off an "extended" free weekend for The Elder Scrolls Online. For PS4 players, the festivities have already begun. PC and Mac players can join in on Steam starting at 1 PM ET. There's no free weekend for Xbox One players just yet, but the company did say that it was "in the works." The holdup is likely the Xbox Live Gold requirement, which is at odds with the PS4 version that does not require PlayStation Plus.

Along with the free weekend, Zenimax Online is also discounting all versions of the game, as well as all Crown packs (TESO's premium currency). The discounts will be available until Monday, November 28, except for the EU PlayStation store, which wraps up discounts on Thursday, November 24.

Here's what's included in the free weekend:

Access to the full The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited base game
500 Crowns to spend in the Crown Store on fun costumes, unique pets, helpful scrolls, and more
Any characters created, Crown Packs purchased, or Crown Store items bought, as well as any progress made during the free play weekend, will carry over if the player purchases the game

Playing in the free weekend also qualifies you to enter Zenimax Online's "Trip of a Lifetime" giveaway, which gives any who plays the game a chance to win a dream vacation to one of five locales around the world. You can find more info on the official contest page [http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/tripofalifetime/?lang=en].

The PS4 free weekend will end November 20 at 11:59 PM local time in Europe and 11:59 PM ET in North America. The PC free weekend ends Monday, November 21 at 1:00PM ET.

[gallery=6623]

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
ffronw said:
If you've wanted to try out The Elder Scrolls Online, but didn't want to pony up the $60 price of entry, this is your lucky day. Well, it's your lucky weekend, to be precise.

Today, Bethesda is kicking off an "extended" free weekend for The Elder Scrolls Online.
Well firstly, it has been 29.99 to play for a long time now so may want to correct that. Secondly it isn't Bethesda, it never has been Bethesda and seriously why is it so hard to get who actually owns and operates the game correct? For reference the owner is Zenimax and the developers/operators are Zenimax Online Studios.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Setch Dreskar said:
ffronw said:
If you've wanted to try out The Elder Scrolls Online, but didn't want to pony up the $60 price of entry, this is your lucky day. Well, it's your lucky weekend, to be precise.

Today, Bethesda is kicking off an "extended" free weekend for The Elder Scrolls Online.
Well firstly, it has been 29.99 to play for a long time now so may want to correct that. Secondly it isn't Bethesda, it never has been Bethesda and seriously why is it so hard to get who actually owns and operates the game correct? For reference the owner is Zenimax and the developers/operators are Zenimax Online Studios.
Fair point. Last time I played it it was $60. Also, why do I always make that Bethesda/Zenimax mistake. You'd think I'd learn.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
ffronw said:
Setch Dreskar said:
ffronw said:

Fair point. Last time I played it it was $60. Also, why do I always make that Bethesda/Zenimax mistake. You'd think I'd learn.
You aren't the only one that does it, I just keep wondering WHY!?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Jacked Assassin said:
Part of me is hoping this is desperate instead of greedy; it's probably both.
According to a friend of mine who works for the company; while it had a very shaky start. ESO has turned itself around and is doing very well, extremely profitable for the company.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I've found the game, new, at several places for only twenty dollars now. Anyone who pays more than that--unless you're getting the Gold Edition--isn't shopping around I feel.

Anyway, I wonder if I get any of these free goodies, or if I'm out of luck since I already own the game. Really should get back into it soon.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Jacked Assassin said:
I still don't understand the attitude that so many people like you have towards this game. Why do you hate it so much, did it punch your sister or something? It had a rocky launch and an arguably questionable (though I had no problem with it) subscription system, but it's never been a BAD game, and it's gotten much, much better since launch.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Tried entering the contest, it says people in Florida can't apply. The question I ask is why?

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
DarklordKyo said:
Tried entering the contest, it says people in Florida can't apply. The question I ask is why?
Most likely state laws preventing it. Giveaways, raffles and contests can be severally hindered based on local laws.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
Jacked Assassin said:
I still don't understand the attitude that so many people like you have towards this game.
Why do you hate it so much, did it punch your sister or something?

It had a rocky launch and an arguably questionable (though I had no problem with it) subscription system, but it's never been a BAD game, and it's gotten much, much better since launch.
That is an overgeneralization.
I'm against people being punched even if said person was born because a man said he couldn't get my mom pregnant and left when he did.

I've been playing ESO ever since I preorder it for PS4. This was also the first game I wanted to play where I had to buy a new TV and a TV Stand for said TV. So I spent near $700 just to play ESO. I liked the subscription based system until they started to do bundles for their DLC. So being subscribed for DLC access became redundant. I also liked spending crowns until a lot of permanent items were removed so I made sure to buy everything before that happened. Those items might come back in gamble boxes which I hate. That cost me $200 I could've saved. So instead of being a happy "whale" I'm instead a mad one. Finally the recent One Tamriel took away my ability to be OP and collect resources for other lower level characters. Yes I wanted to play with my from different factions. But that was over a year ago when they still played the game. So they just created a new problem from the original problem that should've never been there.

Mar 30, 2010
ESO was one of the first games I got for my Xbox One, and I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it. I keep meaning to go back to it, but the amount of time I put into it compared to that of my clan mates means that I can't really adventure with them - either I join them and one-shot everything they're facing or they join me and can't even scratch enemies of my level. I actually floated the idea of us all starting new characters a few weeks ago, but then remembered the time (up to 28 days each I think) it takes to unlock all the weapon/armour enhancements and couldn't bring myself to do it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I don't like a game that disconnects me because I took too long away from my overly self-conscious console. And they want a monthly subscription for this on top of the monthly subscription for PSN on top of the monthly subscription for local internet??

Hah! No. The free trial maybe, but no game is worth that financial commitment.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
I don't like a game that disconnects me because I took too long away from my overly self-conscious console. And they want a monthly subscription for this on top of the monthly subscription for PSN on top of the monthly subscription for local internet??

You don't need the ESO Subscription in order to play.

All the ESO Subscription does is add in DLC access (whish is redundant if you buy the DLC), Costume Dying (Which is pointless if you don't buy costumes), 1500 Crowns a month (which is pointless if you don't want to buy anything), and player stacks that go beyond 100-200 (Whish just feels like this reminder that they haven't fixed the guild banks & that it makes the player banks look pathetic).

As for PS Plus I only have it for *free games. And I only have internet for *free.... um.... Furry Art.

*Just realizes he gets nothing for free. And should probably save as much the internet to his hard drive as he can before Net Neutrality is destroyed.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Jacked Assassin said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

You don't need the ESO Subscription in order to play.

All the ESO Subscription does is add in DLC access (whish is redundant if you buy the DLC), Costume Dying (Which is pointless if you don't buy costumes), 1500 Crowns a month (which is pointless if you don't want to buy anything), and player stacks that go beyond 100-200 (Whish just feels like this reminder that they haven't fixed the guild banks & that it makes the player banks look pathetic).

As for PS Plus I only have it for *free games. And I only have internet for *free.... um.... Furry Art.

*Just realizes he gets nothing for free. And should probably save as much the internet to his hard drive as he can before Net Neutrality is destroyed.
Ah oki, that makes slightly more palatable then. Renting DLC does make me stroke a passing beard in wonder though; it doesn't seem like a logical purchase at all, but i guess people must be buying it. Oh well, might as well give it a chance this weekend. A friend always talks it up everytime i see them anyway, so it may get them to shut up about the damn thing. ;)