Overwatch Winter Event May be In The Works

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Overwatch Winter Event May be In The Works

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1363/1363851.jpg
Time to start saving up your in-game credits for another Overwatch in-game event.

A bit of data mining on the latest Halloween event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168880-Overwatchs-Symmetra-is-getting-a-second-ultimate-ability].

Reddit user remix of the Overwatch main theme [https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5eeamk/some_heroes_interactions_sfx_xmas_overwatch_%E3%83%84/?sort=new&st=iw07nsff&sh=534a5352], complete with sleigh bells and xylophones. Both the Summer Games and Halloween events featured similar such remixes.

Other audio files include some pretty humorous interactions between heroes, though they are not necessarily holiday related. Some new voice lines for Athena, the game's announcer, hints at a new arcade mode, involving an arena, a challenger, and a gladiator.

It's pretty thin to go on at this point but given the success of the game's last two in-game events, as well as all of the fantastic possibilities for Christmas-themed skins (Santa Troljborn? Snowman Mei? ELF MERCY??) it seems a no brainier.

Source: Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5eeamk/some_heroes_interactions_sfx_xmas_overwatch_%E3%83%84/?sort=new&st=iw07nsff&sh=534a5352]

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Of course it's in the works. They did something for the summer games, they did something for Halloween, stands to reason they'd do some kind of winter event too. I look forward to the Overwatch version of Happy Feast of Winterveil, so that the BM meta can evolve.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, Blizzard isn't leaving Overwatch fans out in the cold? Maybe there's due Claus to be excited.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hawki said:
So, Blizzard isn't leaving Overwatch fans out in the cold? Maybe there's due Claus to be excited.
...................I died a little on the inside......

OT: Come on, if you didn't see a Christmas "Holliday" special event coming, then you're blind.

That said, I doubt we'll be getting another Mercy skin considering she just got one for Halloween. I wouldn't doubt at Torb skin, though. Mei could also be in the line-up considering her penchant for snow/ice/ect.

So on that note, I'd say the most-likely to receive legendary skins would indeed be Torb and Mei...and I'd love to see a Reindeer Pharah and perhaps a Toy-Box Bastion (i.e. Bastion done-up to look like some sort of toy. :p)

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
You'd have to stupid to think they wouldn't do an event for the holidays. Let's face it, even if they ignore the rest of the year, most games do something for the holidays, even if it's just a small little easter egg somewhere in the game world. I, however won't be saving up anything for the skins and such that are released then as I'm still trying to get enough credits for the frigging Junkenstine skin, not helped at all by the facts that I don't play Overwatch that often(which is itself not helped by the fact I have no friends to reliably play with) and that out of the last dozen or so loot boxes I've gotten I've only manages to scramble together a total of like 300 credits at best.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
Of course it's in the works. They did something for the summer games, they did something for Halloween, stands to reason they'd do some kind of winter event too. I look forward to the Overwatch version of Happy Feast of Winterveil, so that the BM meta can evolve.
I wonder why this is a suprising news, too. After the Summer Olympics and at the latest Halloween it should be obvious that we'll get some kind of events for every major event that's celebrated somewhere. And Christmas would be THE time to start one. I guess there will be something involving snowball fights or, God forbid, a Mei supernova.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Don't you mean "Overwatch Winter Event Mei Be In The Works?

I'll see myself out...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
RJ 17 said:
That said, I doubt we'll be getting another Mercy skin considering she just got one for Halloween. I wouldn't doubt at Torb skin, though. Mei could also be in the line-up considering her penchant for snow/ice/ect.
I'd really like a fairy themed skin, though whether that comes with a Christmas/winter or more of a springtime/Easter event I'm not sure.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Fijiman said:
I, however won't be saving up anything for the skins and such that are released then as I'm still trying to get enough credits for the frigging Junkenstine skin, not helped at all by the facts that I don't play Overwatch that often(which is itself not helped by the fact I have no friends to reliably play with) and that out of the last dozen or so loot boxes I've gotten I've only manages to scramble together a total of like 300 credits at best.
Well you have a whole year to save since it wont be available until next October, if that.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
SirSullymore said:
Fijiman said:
I, however won't be saving up anything for the skins and such that are released then as I'm still trying to get enough credits for the frigging Junkenstine skin, not helped at all by the facts that I don't play Overwatch that often(which is itself not helped by the fact I have no friends to reliably play with) and that out of the last dozen or so loot boxes I've gotten I've only manages to scramble together a total of like 300 credits at best.
Well you have a whole year to save since it wont be available until next October, if that.
Last time I checked it was still available, though that was like two weeks ago so damn it if it's gone now.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Fijiman said:
SirSullymore said:
Fijiman said:
Last time I checked it was still available, though that was like two weeks ago so damn it if it's gone now.
Their visible, not unlockable at least for the moment, like with the summer games skins, plus all the stuff you could get by pre-ordering, buying the origins edition or buying the virtual ticket for blizz-con, like blizzard is saying 'look at this stuff you could have had, if you were cool and stumped up the cash for them'.

The seasonal stuff will come back in all likelihood when the appropriate season/event rolls around next year, but there may well be new stuff as well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So the thread's moved on from the puns?

I guess we're now in the winter of our discontent.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hawki said:

Keep going. Don't let the chilly reception stop you!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
RedDeadFred said:
Hawki said:

Keep going. Don't let the chilly reception stop you!
Eh, maybe. Looks like the reception's thawed a bit.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
They'll probably give new skins to all the heroes that didn't get one during Halloween, with a few overlaps perhaps. There's a certain few 'lame' ones like Bastion's, which was just a purple-y recolor.