Report: Marvel vs. Capcom 4 Due Out in 2017

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Marvel vs. Capcom 4 Due Out in 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1364/1364151.jpg
Capcom will reportedly unveil Marvel vs. Capcom 4 this week alongside Sony's PlayStation Experience event.

A report from Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/28/13749536/marvel-vs-capcom-4-news] is suggesting that the next iteration of Capcom's Marvel vs. Capcom brawler will be revealed next week, and released next year. Polygon claims "multiple sources" have told it that Capcom will unveil Marvel vs. Capcom 4 this week alongside Sony's PlayStation Experience event.

One of the biggest caveats surrounding this iteration of the game, is that due to liscensing issues with FOX we're unlikely to see any X-men, or other such "mutants". Expect instead to see heroes from recent movies in the Marvel cinematic universe, such as Ant-Man and Black Panther, as well as Guardians of The Galaxy characters.

Capcom's licence with Marvel expired back in 2013 - a move which forced the publisher to remove Marvel vs. Capcom games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130537-Capcom-Pulls-Marvel-vs-Capcom-From-Digital-Stores] from digital storefronts. If Polygon's source is correct, it means that the two companies have made amends.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/28/13749536/marvel-vs-capcom-4-news]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I thought marvel retained the rights for everything except the movies?

Still, it'll be fun to smack around some of the Streetfighters with Thor and Hulk. I hope Capcom learned from it's failures with Streetfighter 5.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I want to be excited, but I hated MvC3, to the point of being one of the few games I EVER returned (outside getting a game as a present I already owned).

And Street Fighter V was garbage too.

Now maybe it will be a double negative and somehow MvC4 will fill the hole SFV was supposed to fill...

but I doubt it.

Capcom is on the "I dont trust you anymore" list along with Bioware.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Cool. So maybe there's validity to the rumors going around this past week. So the questions remain "Whens Mahvel?" and has Capcom learned it's lesson enough to release a complete product this time?

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
So, if the base game is coming 2017, when is the actual full release game coming out? You know, the Super Ultra Deluxe XXL version?

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Can't wait to see the controversy about the lack of content from them unrealistic fanboys pissed that Boneclaw Wolverine didn't make the cut.

Still, I'd be interested if this actually becomes a thing.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
I thought marvel retained the rights for everything except the movies?
Yeah, I was under the same impression. I mean, the movie deal with Fox hasn't changed since MvC3 came out, has it? And that was packed to the gills with mutants.

And I mean, maybe I've been under a rock, but I don't recall any X-Men games released recently under Fox or the like. So why would the movie deal suddenly be an issue?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
After the shit that happened with the last MvC game they announced I wonder if they're gonna can MH this time...

Weresquirrel said:
So, if the base game is coming 2017, when is the actual full release game coming out? You know, the Super Ultra Deluxe XXL version?
Knowing Capcom they'll say no updated version... then release an updated version.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Yeah, I was under the same impression. I mean, the movie deal with Fox hasn't changed since MvC3 came out, has it? And that was packed to the gills with mutants.

And I mean, maybe I've been under a rock, but I don't recall any X-Men games released recently under Fox or the like. So why would the movie deal suddenly be an issue?
Because they don't want to give publicity to the X-Men due to Disney not having the movie rights. It's the reason you're seeing the X-Men be shoved aside in the comics and it amounts to a hissy fit on Disney's part.

Anyway, there goes my excitement if this does pan out. It just ain't MvC without Wolverine and Magneto. Heck, I'd fully expect them to cut Phoenix and Deadpool while they're at it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
KnightOfAthena said:
Remember Fox owns the rights to the Fantastic Four too. That means no Dr. Doom.
But we will get Dr. Strange!

I wonder what they will do with Antman? That could be game breaking.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
As much as I'd like a new Mahvel, I don't trust Modern Capcom or Modern Marvel to do the series justice individually, let alone if they were to partner up for it.