Nintendo Confirms Attractions for Three Universal Theme Parks

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Confirms Attractions for Three Universal Theme Parks

Universal Studios Japan, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood will all have Nintendo-themed areas.

Nintendo confirmed in a press release today that attractions inspired by some of the company's most iconic games will be making their way to three Universal Studios and Resorts parks - in Japan, Orlando and Hollywood.

"The creative visionaries behind Nintendo's legendary worlds and characters are working together with the creative teams behind Universal's blockbuster theme park attractions," the release reads. "Their goal: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special. All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you - in breathtakingly authentic ways."

According to the announcement, the areas will be "expansive, immersive, and interactive," with shops, restaurants, and "multiple attractions."

"Guests will feel as if they are playing inside their favorite games - this time in real life," the press release reads. "There will be something for everyone - regardless of their age or gaming experience level."

"Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years."

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
According to the announcement, the areas will be "expansive, immersive, and interactive," with shops, restaurants, and "multiple attractions."

"Guests will feel as if they are playing inside their favorite games - this time in real life," the press release reads. "There will be something for everyone - regardless of their age or gaming experience level."
Here I was thinking they were going to throw in a Pokemon Center Kiosk and be done with it. This sounds like some Harry Potter level stuff. I hope they have fun with it, there's so much they can do.

Also sounds like Universal is trying to give Disney a run in the "immersive world" category.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
They're going to be doing stuff in Universal Orlando? Nice.

However, that said, the only thing that comes to my mind when I think "Nintendo theme park" is "F-Zero roller coaster". I'm serious.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
American Tanker said:
They're going to be doing stuff in Universal Orlando? Nice.

However, that said, the only thing that comes to my mind when I think "Nintendo theme park" is "F-Zero roller coaster". I'm serious.
While that would be completely awesome, outside of the internet/gaming market no one knows what F-Zero is. If Nintendo is teaming up with Universal only the most mass market widely recognized stuff is going in. Peach's castle, yoshi plush toys, and mushroom strollers is more likely.

I just want to give Miyamoto a hug. That man is adorable.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Where are they gonna find the space for this, I wonder? Universal already feels very tightly packed.

I'm all for a Zelda world, though. Maybe some Metroid, if we're lucky. Obviously there will be Mario and Pokemon. There's a pretty cool opportunity here, and I hope they do something interesting with it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Fox12 said:
Where are they gonna find the space for this, I wonder? Universal already feels very tightly packed.
My guess would be by getting rid of the Marvel stuff, seeing as how their rival Disney controls it all now and probably isn't interested in negotiating friendly licensing terms.

I think at least one of these parks desperately needs a Kirby-themed conveyor-belt sushi restaurant.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Callate said:
Fox12 said:
My guess would be by getting rid of the Marvel stuff, seeing as how their rival Disney controls it all now and probably isn't interested in negotiating friendly licensing terms.

I think at least one of these parks desperately needs a Kirby-themed conveyor-belt sushi restaurant.
I looked it up last time I went, Universal owns the theme park rights. Which means that Universal won't be getting any rides from the new movies, and Disney won't be adding a new section added to their park.

They could probably stand to get rid of their Dr. Seuss section, though. I don't think they even have any rides over there. And it would be pretty funny to see their "unless" tree get torn down for the sake of corporate expansion.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Fox12 said:
I looked it up last time I went, Universal owns the theme park rights. Which means that Universal won't be getting any rides from the new movies, and Disney won't be adding a new section added to their park.

They could probably stand to get rid of their Dr. Seuss section, though. I don't think they even have any rides over there. And it would be pretty funny to see their "unless" tree get torn down for the sake of corporate expansion.
I could see them keeping Spider-Man but ditching the X-Men stuff. That area was looking pretty forlorn when I was there about a year ago. But you're right- Seuss is probably a good bet, slightly to my dismay.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Callate said:
Fox12 said:

I could see them keeping Spider-Man but ditching the X-Men stuff. That area was looking pretty forlorn when I was there about a year ago. But you're right- Seuss is probably a good bet, slightly to my dismay.
They have a couple of older areas that feel out of place next to their newer parks. The 40's cartoon section feels like a strange choice as well, as much as I love it, but it has so many rides that I can't imagine them just tearing it down. Dr. Seuss is great, but if they have to make room then that will be the first area to go. Heck, Disney does it all the time.

*Leers angrily at the Frozen ride at Epcot*