Telltale Announces Guardians of the Galaxy, Coming in 2017

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Telltale Announces Guardians of the Galaxy, Coming in 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series confirmed.

At The Game Awards 2016, Telltale confirmed rumors from last month that the studio's next project will be a Guardians of the Galaxy episodic game. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series will release on PC, mobile, and consoles in 2017, and will be comprised of five episodes. It will also be available retail as "special season pass disc" that will include the first episode, with access to the other four via online updates as they release.

"The energizing blend of humor, emotion, teamwork, and full-on sci-fi action-adventure of the Guardians provides an enormously satisfying space to explore through Telltale's unique style of interactive storytelling," said Kevin Bruner, Co-Founder and CEO of Telltale Games, in a press release. "In Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series, players will take on multiple roles within the ragtag band of heroes, and take the pilot's seat in directing their escapades around the universe. We are always honored to be working with the best creative partners and storytellers in entertainment, and working with Marvel on this series leaves us excited to share what we've been developing when it premieres in 2017."

"With story at the core of everything that Marvel creates, who better to team with than master storytellers Telltale Games," said Jay Ong, Senior Vice President, Games & Innovation at Marvel Entertainment. "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series fully showcases Marvel and Telltale's rich legacy of storytelling, and fans will find themselves immersed in an original, character-driven narrative. As part of our strategy to establish a new standard for Marvel games, this is certainly among the great titles to come."

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Sadly like current Batman series I expect the game will be incompatible with mobile devices I own.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Would it be fair to say that in space, no-one can hear you sing?

Apr 17, 2009
Ah yes, playing as everyone's favourite character from the film, walking through the corridors of the Milano until you meet your good friend Rocket and interacting with him brings up your dialogue options; "I am Groot", "I am Groot" or "I am Groot"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh fuck yes.

Having played Tales from the Borderlands, I am so very down for this, sight unseen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok is there anything that TellTale can't turned a property into a epic story driven game?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Ok is there anything that TellTale can't turned a property into a epic story driven game?
Better question - can Telltale make something that's not a storydriven game but a gameplaydriven one for a change? Or just a normal point-and-click adventure again?

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
CyanCat47 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Fifty shades of grey.
Don`t encourage them. Please don`t. Civilisation as we know it would be at stake, should such a thing ever exist.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bindal said:
Scarim Coral said:
Better question - can Telltale make something that's not a storydriven game but a gameplaydriven one for a change?
I very much doubt it.

They probably don't even have gameplay designers/programmers on staff.

Which is fine. Why would you even want a gameplay-driven game from a studio that doesn't do gameplay? It'd be like wanting an animation studio to make a live action movie.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Ah yes, playing as everyone's favourite character from the film, walking through the corridors of the Milano until you meet your good friend Rocket and interacting with him brings up your dialogue options; "I am Groot", "I am Groot" or "I am Groot"
Bet they'll actually do that at some point.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Is there the slightest chance we'll see a game that isn't filled with unavoidable acrimony among the team and getting blamed for "bad" decisions no matter what you try to do?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
OoooOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH! It looks like that Switch Release Window rumor thing has another leg to stand on! Obviously that's not confirmed but the fact that this game exists is pretty decent evidence. I've never actually played a TT game despite being seriously interested in The Wolf Among Us and mildly interested in Batman. I don't see myself picking this game up though if I'm being completely honest with myself but I'm somewhat open to this kind of game.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Bindal said:
Scarim Coral said:
Better question - can Telltale make something that's not a storydriven game but a gameplaydriven one for a change? Or just a normal point-and-click adventure again?
If they wanted to, probably, but I'd rather them stick to their strengths.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I might be part of a minourity but I reeeeeally didn't like TTG's Minecraft. The dialogue felt rushed, the story was clunky, I mean... it was aesthetically nice but everything else was just... shoddy in my opinion. I'm also maybe a little bitter because--

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I give up. We're never going to see TWAU season 2.
Oh thank god someone else already said it. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually really liking Batman and Tales from the Borderlands is probably one of my top 15 games of all time but I'd much rather have a season 2 of TWAU before Season 3 of Walking Dead or... ANY Guardians of the Galaxy, really. Then again, that last part might have something to do with the fact that I thought it was an okay movie, not something I'd watch more than once or twice a year.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
So the batman game is actually good? I don't hear people talking about it.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
As nice as this sounds, I don't get why they have so many on-going projects which they're still adding more to. Can't they focus on something, finish it, and then move onto something else? I'd prefer that than having 12+ series which only get a new season every decade or so.