Crash Bandicoot Returns in Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Crash Bandicoot Returns in Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

The N. Sane trilogy features full HD remakes Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and Crash Bandicoot: Warped.

As well as revealing some hotly anticipated new titles like The Last of Us Part 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168965-The-Last-of-Us-Part-2-Sequel-Revealed], last weekend's PlayStation experience event also announced the comeback of a very familiar face: Sony's unofficial mascot, Crash Bandicoot. That's right, Crash is back, in the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - a HD remaster of the original 3 Crash Bandicoot games. Check out the trailer to the right.

The trilogy collects Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and Crash Bandicoot: Warped and will launch on the PS4 in 2017. Other than that we don't really know too many details but it does seem to be the fairly standard HD remaster deal. It's being handled by Activision owned developer Vicarious Visions.

Check out some screenshots below:

[gallery=6657]

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Wait wait wait, Aku Aku couldn't save you from the plants in Upstream/Up the Creek!
CASUALISATION!

In all seriousness though this doesn't look very impressive.
Developers have tried giving Crash realistic fur in the past and it looked bad, and here is no different.
The graphics, specifically the use of colour looks considerably worse in some shots, especially the Jaws of Darkness and Boulders comparison.
Something about the running looks really off, and everything in general looks like it's happening in slow motion. Crash 1 being given a proper save system is nice though.

Overall I'm still curious to see how this turns out but I'm not exactly hyped.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ChupathingyX said:
Wait wait wait, Aku Aku couldn't save you from the plants in Upstream/Up the Creek!
CASUALISATION!
I think in one version (not sure if the EU or US version), it was always easier. Especially noticable in Crash 3 and in this case, the developers may have used the easier of the two versions as the basis.

Personally, I think it looks great. It would almost be a reason for me to get a PS4 in the first place as I really enjoyed the original trilogy (especially Crash 3).

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
I mean, it's cool that these games are getting remastered in the first place, but I don't know. Something just looks really off, like this is actually a fan-developed project. Too much focus on bloom and shaders, kinda distracts from the general design. And the sound changes are weird too, especially removing the classic fruit sound.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Jesus, that looks horrifying.

Haven't these people played any of the Klonoa games?

The remake of the first game, for the Wii, was a great way to do it.

Sapbubblor

May 2, 2011
Finally some healthy scepticism! Every other place where this trailer is brought up there is nothing other than a gushing of both praise and hype. As mentioned before something seems off with the colour palette, and what little gameplay we doesn't seem as tight as it should. Hopefully they still have time to make amends.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It's Activision handling this...if anybody knows their history of "remastered" ports, this shouldn't surprise. Neither should the garunteed cheeky price tag, I'll bet.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Step 1: Remaster Crash

Step 2: Remaster Spyro

Step 3: Start giving them their own games again.

Step 4: Profit!

Admittedly step 4 is kind of interwoven with the other steps, and this is more "nostalgic me" speaking rather than "seriously considering purchase" me, but hey, go figure.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
It's Activision handling this...if anybody knows their history of "remastered" ports, this shouldn't surprise. Neither should the garunteed cheeky price tag, I'll bet.
Even fullprice for the entire trilogy seems to be fair. Anything more might be too much, yes, but 50 bucks for three games (even if it's just remasters of old ones) is still somewhat reasonable in my book.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
it looks like an unreal engine demo. the fur looks yeesh.

i was never a fan of the original crash trilogy but remaster crash bash and team racing proper and i'll throw money at you

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
There's something that looks uncanny about it.
I'm not entirely sure, maybe too much emphasis on dramatic lighting? It looks like someone took the dodge and burn brushes to the whole thing. If the contrast and colors were softened a bit, it wouldn't look as bad as it does.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I suppose the real question is: do the games still actually hold up?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well, it beats the Ratchet & Clank school of generational rebooting. Fur looks weird though.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
I suppose the real question is: do the games still actually hold up?
2 and 3 certainly do, 2 is an especially good game. 1 has suffered a bit since it's so ridiculously difficult and has some very simplistic levels. I'm not sure a level like Road to Nowhere has much place in modern games, being a series of cut and pasted gap jumps and literally nothing else.

Then again it's one hit and you're dead ethos might prove popular with the Titan Souls crowd, they certainly like a challenge.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I guess I'm the only one who likes Crash's HD look.

Maybe I just have different tastes, but I look at Crash's fur and I think: IT'S SO FLUFFY!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Are the visuals really that off putting to some people? I mean, I know what it's like to have my favourite game get a butchered HD remake, but it's not like the Crash games ever looked very good, or had an artstyle/atmosphere that has now been ruined by this update. The worst I can say is that the updated visuals combined with the older animations makes it look a bit odd. But apart from that it looks like a very charming little remaster.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
While I think the visuals need work, I'm very much looking forward to this. I just hope it won't end up like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5.

Also, I hope they make the games a bit more forgiving especially with the first game's system being so wonky.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Are the visuals really that off putting to some people? I mean, I know what it's like to have my favourite game get a butchered HD remake, but it's not like the Crash games ever looked very good, or had an artstyle/atmosphere that has now been ruined by this update. The worst I can say is that the updated visuals combined with the older animations makes it look a bit odd. But apart from that it looks like a very charming little remaster.
It looks like one of these

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
josemlopes said:
Casual Shinji said:
It looks like one of these
Okay, but then how should a Crash remaster have looked? I'm talking specifically about the visuals here, because we knew they weren't going to do anything with the gameplay; It was just going to be a visual upgrade.

What makes it look worse than the original?