Overwatch's Holiday Event Kicks Off Next Week

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Overwatch's Holiday Event Kicks Off Next Week

Overwatch's next event will kick off Tuesday, December 13.

Blizzard announced on Twitter today that it will be launching a holiday-themed Overwatch event. Some details were previously released [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168905-Overwatch-Christmas-Event], courtesy of data mining, and included a remix of the Overwatch theme, complete with sleigh bells, new interactions between heroes, and there were hints at a new arcade mode involving an arena, challenger, and gladiator.

Unfortunately, none of those individual elements have been confirmed - in fact, the tweet only states:

"It's the most wonderful time of the year, and we hope you'll join us for some holiday cheer.

When: December 13, 2016

Where: Overwatch

RT to RSVP!
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/806196531795673088]

This marks the third special event, following the Olympic-style Halloween [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168092-Overwatch-Summer-Olympics-Promotion] events.

In other Overwatch news, the competitive hero shooter took the top honor of Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2016 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168962-Overwatch-Game-of-The-Year] earlier this month, beating out the likes of Doom, Inside, Titanfall 2, and Uncharted 4. It also won for Best Multiplayer Game, Best Esports Game, and Best Game Direction.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SirSullymore said:
Santa Torb, Yeti Winston, and a Mei costume of some kind please.
Lotta people believe that Mei's getting a Snowman outfit...though that's still firmly in the "rumor" category.

I'd like a Widow costume where she has a mistletoe tied to the end of her ponytail....

Just think about it for a second. :^)

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
3 weeks ago I hit level 100 and I'm roughly one victory from a promotion. I've been holding off playing so I can get loads of loot boxes quickly because of this event... been waiting for 3 weeks now but it will soon be over.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hah, I knew it! They said "happy holidays," not "merry Christmas!" Diversity has gone too far! Blizzard is part of the war on Christmas! This is an outrage, this is sacrilige, this is an assault on our culture, this is zz..."

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
spartandude said:
3 weeks ago I hit level 100 and I'm roughly one victory from a promotion. I've been holding off playing so I can get loads of loot boxes quickly because of this event... been waiting for 3 weeks now but it will soon be over.
They patched that out weeks ago. The experience needed to go from level 99 to 100 is the same to go from 100 to 101, and so on. But they changed the amount needed from 22k for every level to 20k.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
... Oh cool, Christmas skins coming out ... only, we can't get them directly and will need to rely on the loot / luck system to maybe get the skins we desire. Thanks Blizzard ...

(yes i'm salty, but what's the point of skins if you have to obtain them through loot, especially if said skins are exclusive for that holiday only?)
For what it's worth, you could buy the Halloween skins with coins, so I assume the same will apply to these (if that counts)

As for myself: I might log in to see them for myself, but I've kind of gone off Overwatch ever since the latest patch screwed up the MM something fierce.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
spartandude said:

Yeah, blizzard saw people doing that and got pissy about people using that way to avoid being bullied into buying lootboxes with false scarcity and shot that down. All prestige lvls are 20k now.

Saved up 3k creds already incase theres something I really want, and RNG isn't in my favour.

Hoping for a christmas/winterplum fairy outfit for phara and/or mercy.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Windknight said:
Yeah, blizzard saw people doing that and got pissy about people using that way to avoid being bullied into buying lootboxes with false scarcity and shot that down. All prestige lvls are 20k now.
Granted, what they were doing was bad for the game. Blizzard wants as many people to play the game as possible, so everyone has someone to play with all the time. People were deliberately not playing the game instead, to get as many rewards as possible.

Aeshi said:
As for myself: I might log in to see them for myself, but I've kind of gone off Overwatch ever since the latest patch screwed up the MM something fierce.
Didn't the matchmaking stay the same, they just spread the people among the ranks more?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
... Oh cool, Christmas skins coming out ... only, we can't get them directly and will need to rely on the loot / luck system to maybe get the skins we desire. Thanks Blizzard ...

(yes i'm salty, but what's the point of skins if you have to obtain them through loot, especially if said skins are exclusive for that holiday only?)
Pretty sure learned from their mistakes after the backlash over the Summer event. Halloween was a good compromise IMO. They kept the rarity by making the skins more expensive than normal, but at least allowed you to get the ones you want (this was really easy for some people who had accrued 10000+coins).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
spartandude said:
They patched this out after the Halloween event for literally this exact reason. You no longer prestige but each level is now 20k experience instead of 22k.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:

For me it's kind of the opposite. What's the point of rare skins if literally everybody has them?
"Aw yeah! got my mariachi Reaper sk...oh, there's five other mariachi reapers in this game..."

And as others have pointed out, you can buy them now so save up dem coins!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
RedDeadFred said:
Caramel Frappe said:

Pretty sure learned from their mistakes after the backlash over the Summer event. Halloween was a good compromise IMO. They kept the rarity by making the skins more expensive than normal, but at least allowed you to get the ones you want (this was really easy for some people who had accrued 10000+coins).
Worst part of that for me is they didn't play fair, and triple the dup creds as well. I got 5 halloween legendaries, and four of those were junkenstein, so only getting 600 creds instead of 1800 was extra annoying (and of course, I'm not a junkrat player)

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Everyone needs ugly Christmas sweaters
I will be fairly dissapointed if someone doesn't get an ugly Christmas sweater skin. I'd make a bet as to who would be most likely to get it, but most of the characters I'd bet on have received skins recently, so I'm not gonna.
SirSullymore said:
Santa Torb, Yeti Winston, and a Mei costume of some kind please.
Nut cracker Bastion/Soldier would be pretty cool too.