217: Elite Force: The Essence of Trek

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Elite Force: The Essence of Trek

To date, 66 videogames based on the Star Trek license have been published, most of which suck. But in a galaxy of mediocre Trek titles, one game shines like a supernova. Russ Pitts interviews the team behind Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force to find out what made their game succeed where so many others failed.

Read Full Article

Cap'n Haddock

Jul 28, 2009
I always loved Elite Force, Raven did a good job on that game. Far better then that abysmal Klingon fps that had you slaughtering Andorians

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
I wonder if Russ also has blue prints for the new Romulan Warbird? But yeah

Elite Force was a really good Trek game, maybe because it would have worked without the Trek license?

and there was a second one; It wasn't made by Raven though;

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Heh, this was actually the first FPS I ever played, back when I was 9 or so. Replayed it recently, still a surprisingly good game, even if it's a lot easier than I remembered it. Don't bother with the expansion though, it sucks.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
Don't bother with the expansion though, it sucks.
I remember when they first announced the expansion, you were going to be able to explore all 15 decks of Voyager. Unfortunately, that didn't exactly pan out. You do get to explore a few more places than you could before, but yeah, all in all, not really worth installing.

I got it years ago as part of the "Action Pack" that included the expansion, and Star Trek Armada I & II. I spent quite a few hours in Armada as well. The voice acting in that is excellent.

I just found the Action Pack on Amazon for $80. Must be a collector's item now, I guess; it was a lot less when I picked it up...

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I rather enjoyed both the Elite Forces. First one was the better game of the two, though there's something satisfying about vapourising romulans to death.

Ploppy

Jul 6, 2008
Yeah the elite force series was excellent. I preferred the first one though, mostly because i'm more of a Voyager fan than a TNG fan, so I enjoyed exploring and interacting with the ship and characters in the first one all that much more.

I have to ask though, an issue of a gaming mag on Trek, and no Bridge Commander article? Come on, no other game has ever put you in the captains chair so effectively.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Star Trek: 25th anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rites for PC were both good trek games. Of course, nobody probably remembers them considering they were made in the early 1990's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_25th_Anniversary_(computer_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Judgment_Rites

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Elite Force was good, but hardly the first good Star Trek game. There were plenty before, like the adventures that Dalisclock just linked.

Soulwolf

Jul 20, 2009
I loved the first game and the sequel wasn't terrible. Star Trek Starfleet Command was also a decent series. I played the third online in a dynamic persistent universe and that was amazing. I just hope that Dynaverse can get a 4th STFC going.

Omega Hunter 9

Feb 25, 2009
Elite Force was my first FPS, and I loved it! Armada 1 was also a good Trek game, but both series saw declines with their sequels.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Star Trek: 25th anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rites for PC were both good trek games. Of course, nobody probably remembers them considering they were made in the early 1990's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_25th_Anniversary_(computer_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Judgment_Rites
The memories. Really awesome games. The only thing that sucked was the forced shooter/ship simulator bits that were really hard.

Probably the first game I played that had a full voice cast.

Another one that I liked was A Final Unity. It was basicaly a rehash of those games, with better graphics. And the ship simulator was a bit better.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
I would also dispute it being the first good trek fps, Klingon honor guard was also quite good, and had a few memorable levels, including a zero gravity space station, rura penthe and the klingon homeworld to mention a few. The fact klingons like blowing stuff also solves the whole fps in a star trek game problem.

ojm62

Aug 5, 2009
Armada and elite force still remain in my gaming cabinet today, first rate games!