All For Honor Gameplay DLC Will be Free

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
All For Honor Gameplay DLC Will be Free

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1367/1367661.jpg
Ubisoft has confirmed that its upcoming historical action game For Honor will have all of its DLC maps and modes released for free.

Last month Ubisoft announced that it would For Honor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168884-Ubisoft-No-More-Game-Experience-Affecting-DLC]. The studio confirmed in a presentation that all DLC maps and modes for the game would be free for all players, an an effort to avoid fracturing the game's community.

"Everything that's matchmade [including] new modes and new maps, will be given for free to the players. We'll also have other free content. We are a big team supporting the game after launch," said game director Damien Kieken.

It's likely that the game's paid DLC will instead be focused on new heroes, in a similar fashion to how Rainbow Six: Siege let players buy new characters while giving away maps for free.

"On the monetisation side," said Kieken. "The idea is that we allow players to buy more Steel. It's just a shortcut. Everything is unlockable just by playing the game. And all shortcuts are tied to progression, so you can't unlock an end-game item right away."

Steel is the game's in-game currency, that can be earned for free by completing games.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-14-all-for-honor-dlc-maps-and-modes-will-be-free]

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Yay, free stuff!

I'm loving this recent trend of online games giving me actual incentives other than levelling systems in order to keep me genuinely entertained instead of having me spend countless hours on a pointlessly monotonous slog to the next prestige.

Please let this sort of thing become considered canon instead of taboo by publishers. If Ubisoft stays true to this promise and succeeds financially, I really hope some of the competition takes the hint.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's amazing that both EA with Battlefield and Activision with CoD still have expensive season passes AND microtrasactions. Disgusting.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I do find it funny how these companies are realizing after how Blizzard handled their monotization of the game, they're realizing that they can do it too. That said I've got no complaints about companies trying to better themselves.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The Enquirer said:
I do find it funny how these companies are realizing after how Blizzard handled their monotization of the game, they're realizing that they can do it too.
Blizzard was not the first to not be sectioning off maps and game modes.

For instance, Valve would have had plenty of leverage to do it with TF2 or CS:GO.

Even the so hated Turtle Rock didnt section off maps and game modes for DLC in Evolve.

Blizzard is neither pioneering nor special in this regard.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The Enquirer said:
I do find it funny how these companies are realizing after how Blizzard handled their monotization of the game, they're realizing that they can do it too. That said I've got no complaints about companies trying to better themselves.
You could go as far as say TF2 did it first although it didnt have microtransactions, then the one to cause the biggest impact in the industry would certainly be GTAV. The one to cause the biggest impact on Ubisoft was Rainbow Six Siege (released before Overwatch)
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-22-no-more-dlc-that-gamers-have-to-buy-for-the-full-experience-ubisoft

So yeah, Blizzard didnt do anything new here.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Friendly reminder this is a tacit confirmation the game will be fee-to-pay.

Take it from someone who's had classes on this: to spin bad news into neutral news and neutral into good is a core activity of any good company communications department and I feel we're looking at a textbook example here.

Steven Bogos said:
Kieken: "The idea is that we allow players to buy more Steel. It's just a shortc-"
Oh for crying out...

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
bliebblob said:
Steven Bogos said:
Kieken: "The idea is that we allow players to buy more Steel. It's just a shortc-"
Oh for crying out...
Yeah, I noticed that too. Really hope it isn't serious. I'm not really hyped for this game, though I have seen Youtube let's plays on the game, and it looks about average, or slightly above. I'm a huge fan of Mount and Blade Warband, so I'm not really fussed to buy a AAA version of Warband.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
The sad part is, as great as this sounds, it's likely being done entirely because it's more profitable to charge people a bunch of easy to make microtransations than spend time making content updates.

So, this actually makes me less interested, honestly.

Sorry, but, I'm in the camp that prefers to spend ?15 or whatever to get all the additional content, not ?4 for a costume, ?2 for a gun skin, ?8 for a new character and ?10 for a dance animation at the end of a game.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Borty The Bort said:
bliebblob said:
Steven Bogos said:
Oh for crying out...
Yeah, I noticed that too. Really hope it isn't serious. I'm not really hyped for this game, though I have seen Youtube let's plays on the game, and it looks about average, or slightly above. I'm a huge fan of Mount and Blade Warband, so I'm not really fussed to buy a AAA version of Warband.
I was in one o the tech alpha weekend (or whatever they were called), and I don't remember steel being particularly hard to get by. You didn't win a lot of it per game, but there were daily (or were they over a few days? I can't remember) quests that gave you quite a bit. Some of them were for winning matches, others only for playing, for both AI and PvP.