Saddle Up for the Blade Runner 2049 Trailer

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Saddle Up for the Blade Runner 2049 Trailer

<youtube=haXvp8M9Cog>

Let's get hyped for a movie that won't open for another 10+ months!

Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner], has been in the planning stages for a number of years. It was today, though, that some fruits of that labor were finally shown off, as we were given the first trailer - a teaser - for the new movie.

The trailer doesn't give away much, except to tell us that Harrison Ford [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ryan+gosling] is returning as Rick Deckard, and that the new film will take place decades after the original - presumably in 2049, which would make it exactly 30 years later.

You know, I wasn't the most excited when they announced we'd be getting a Blade Runner sequel, but as I think back to how rich a world Denis Villeneuve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ridley+scott] directing, I'm on board.

Blade Runner 2049 is scheduled to be released on October 6, 2017.

[gallery=6676]

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Marter said:
And when you've got Denis Villeneuve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/denis+villeneuve] directing, I'm on board.
If he can successfully combine the sheer levels of threat and tension present in Sicario with the sci-fi weirdness chops he showed off in Arrival, sign me the fuck up.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bullshit, I say, bullshit! This film will never be good! I've given up all hope! And do you know why?!

...there was no turtle in the desert.

Oh, and insert joke about Ryan Gosling being a detective here, and a detective in The Nice Guys, and how he's a replicant based on March, and yadda yadda yadda.

(In seriousness though, it does look pretty good. Desert jokes aside, I like the idea of Los Angeles being swallowed by it, showing how bad things have gotten on Earth.)

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
09philj said:
Marter said:
And when you've got Denis Villeneuve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/denis+villeneuve] directing, I'm on board.
If he can successfully combine the sheer levels of threat and tension present in Sicario with the sci-fi weirdness chops he showed off in Arrival, sign me the fuck up.
The thing that really sold me was that he directed Prisoners too, which has that slower paced rainy day brooding noir investigation vibe the original Blade Runner had. Combine that with those other elements from his other movies together and Ridley Scott as executive producer and I feel this Blade Runner could actually be a worthy successor.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...I'm cautious about this, mainly in the vein of 'too many of these damn remakes are trying to recapture lightning in a bottle'. There's certainly a lot of ways they can make this right, but at the same time, there's an awful lot of ways they can fuck this up royally.

A lot of ways.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
It's actually probably better that Ridley Scott isn't directing this, because he doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Shadefyre said:
It's actually probably better that Ridley Scott isn't directing this, because he doesn't seem to have it anymore.
True The Martian was horrible... wait what?

Lets be real. He had some not so good films from 2008 to 2014. But its not like he doesn't know shit about film making.
That said the production history of the Aliens: Covenant doesn't bode well...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It would be great to give the world an exploration with modern lenses, as I feel the original was more a product of its' time and could do with a deeper dive with the themes involved. Though the atmosphere was well established and ponderous, it didn't have as much to ponder on that other sci-fi hasn't wallowed thoroughly in since. So am hoping that is the reason for this title instead of just nostalgia bait. Sicario had a real dense atmosphere that does give me hope for this to impress.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Leary of remakes? Tired of retreading the same old water, but want the comfort of something familiar? Well then my friend, have I got a treat for you! We call it the "soft reboot!" It's not a remake at all! We're doing the exact same thing over again, but see, we're passing the torch, rather than trying to relight it!

Somehow that seems to go over better and it has worked for Jurassic World and The Force Awakens, box office wise, so I'm sure that'll be the next phase of Hollywood blockbusters.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Callate said:
Or the whole movie is an implanted memory in the original Deckard's mind.
Or, the final vision from a man's brain as he struggles for breath, trapped in a radioactive refrigerator.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
this, could be actually good. lets see what other trailer will bring but just alone from that, i do like to watch it.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
1. Include miserable old Harrison Ford
2. invoke nostalgia by use of original score
3. Show imagery that doesn't tie back to the original to invoke curiosity

also: It annoyed me right away that the text on the police truck was in sync instead of in line so you can't read the text much efficiently. Instead you're waiting for it to cycle through and god forbid you ask yourself if the two displays show the same text.
Little things like this. If this is a practical prop, it was wired up in a cheap way. if it is a CGI prop, there isn't any excuse.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sheo_Dagana said:
Leary of remakes? Tired of retreading the same old water, but want the comfort of something familiar? Well then my friend, have I got a treat for you! We call it the "soft reboot!" It's not a remake at all! We're doing the exact same thing over again, but see, we're passing the torch, rather than trying to relight it!

Somehow that seems to go over better and it has worked for Jurassic World and The Force Awakens, box office wise, so I'm sure that'll be the next phase of Hollywood blockbusters.
Errrm...are you sure you properly read

Marter said:
The

Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to
Article?

Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner],
Or even the trailer?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Wrex Brogan said:
...I'm cautious about this, mainly in the vein of 'too many of these damn remakes are trying to recapture lightning in a bottle'.
Funny thing is, the original Blade Runner was a flop. All that happened was that it gained cult status years after its release (Sort of like how Tolkien's LoTR books didn't take off until decades later when it came stateside).