Why Him? - A Good Question (Merry Christmas!)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Why Him? - A Good Question (Merry Christmas!)

Why Him? takes a stale premise and tries to freshen it up with obnoxious. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't work.

Read Full Article

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
See here's what I don't understand: this premise seems like it wouldn't work with any normal American person. I cannot fathom a man like Cranston putting up with the bullshit of Franco's character for more than about 30 seconds before telling him to go fuck himself or even punching him out when he gets too damn physical with him.

Apr 17, 2009
Zoey Deutch is ... there for some of it.
Ugh, always annoys me when this happens. She is the driving force behind why these two completely different individuals are interacting, would it kill you to give her characterisation and motivation to demonstrate why?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
would it kill you to give her characterisation and motivation to demonstrate why?
I believe the title of this film literally asks this question. I believe the film itself literally does not answer it.

P.S. Thanks

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
So basically a shitty version of Meet the Parents? That's about what I figured when I saw the trailer.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Gordon_4 said:
See here's what I don't understand: this premise seems like it wouldn't work with any normal American person. I cannot fathom a man like Cranston putting up with the bullshit of Franco's character for more than about 30 seconds before telling him to go fuck himself or even punching him out when he gets too damn physical with him.
I guess he cares enough about his daughter to give the man she loves a chance.

Side note: Not sure what you mean about normal American people in your post. It seems like your implying the average American is a punch-happy ass hole.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
Gordon_4 said:
I guess he cares enough about his daughter to give the man she loves a chance.

Side note: Not sure what you mean about normal American people in your post. It seems like your implying the average American is a punch-happy ass hole.
Not my intention: the Americans have always struck me as an honest, forthright people who appreciate their personal space and personage being respected. I get maybe he wants to give this doofus a chance but my read of the trailer is that Franco has really pushed beyond what I would consider the patience of most people. As for decking him, well, if he keeps hugging Cranston and ignores being told to stop it then there's only one way the experience ends.

Long story short, movie looks like shit and I feel most father's would lose patience one way or another long before his character seems to.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ahh the ole traditional dickhead-for-laughs-with-an-alleged-heart-SomewhereMaybeIfYouReallyLookHardEnough-wins-approval-of-girlfriend's-disapproving-dad story. Timeless classic. By now It really needs a snappier name, this subgenre of cutout comedy. Maybe it already has. It's an effort to care about it though. The only thing that makes me think twice are the actors involved. But I've fallen for that bullshit before. No more! Tricksters!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Gordon_4 said:
I think you missed an important point.

Laird (Franco), who is a wealthy head of a video game company.
That should explain everything.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
RJ 17 said:
So basically a shitty version of Meet the Parents? That's about what I figured when I saw the trailer.
Meet the Parents was the shitty version of Meet the Parents /edge

This doesn't look fun. I'm one of the few people alive who doesn't always hate Franco but between this and his horrible character in The Interview, he's testing my resolve. (P.S. thanks a lot Obama North Korea for even making that film slightly noteworthy. Ugh.)

Bryan Cranston is better than this.