Mass Effect: Andromeda CES Trailer Shows Off UI, Combat, and More

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mass Effect: Andromeda CES Trailer Shows Off UI, Combat, and More

The newest Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer offers up a look at combat, menus, upgrading abilities, and more.

Last night at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the newest trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda popped up during Nvidia's keynote presentation. When Bioware GM Aaryn Flynn took the stage, he brought with him the trailer and some other tidbits of news. First, the footage:

Once the trailer was over Flynn spoke for a few minutes about the game. He reiterated that Andromeda is built on the Frostbite engine, and pointed out that this means the game will feature more verticality, as well as destructible objects. Even more interesting was the news that the game will feature a dynamic class system, which means you'll be able to change your class on the fly whenever you like.

As you probably saw yesterday, Mass Effect: Andromeda is headed to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on March 21, 2017 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169182-Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Release-Date-Announced].

[gallery=6751]

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's been awhile since ME2, but that combat looks like shit in comparison.

I know most people are tired of cover-based shooting, but when you move just as slow as you did in the previous games, these open areas just lead to a huge shooting gallery where's its constantly shooting shit till your numbers overpower their numbers.

I guess that's yet another consequence of going open world.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Not super impressed but we'll see. I'm not that emotionally invested in this franchise anymore but I hope it turns out good. I could use a good sci-fi space romp.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
ffronw said:
the game will feature more verticality, as well as destructible objects.
Like the one promised in the gameplay trailer scenes in Dragon Age Inqusition, that were missing from the actual game?

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
The combat does look like a step down from ME3.

Also, the weapon sounds are horrible! Is that really what they are going with?
ME3's weapons sounded amazing. But here they sound as pathetic as Halo 4's lifeless weapons.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Since I've yet to play ME 3, I doubt I'll ever get this game, but I will say that I don't think much of the new ship's design.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I don't know what it is, but I'm getting kind of a sad 'Stargate Universe' feel from this.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:

I know most people are tired of cover-based shooting, but when you move just as slow as you did in the previous games, these open areas just lead to a huge shooting gallery where's its constantly shooting shit till your numbers overpower their numbers.

To be fair, the player was taking 0 damage except at one scripted moment. Part of what made ME3s combat especially mobile was that at the hardest difficulty you had 2 health, 1 when your shields popped and one that killed you if you lost it. You don't have to be running and rolling all over the place if you're nigh invincible. But yes I hope the combat isn't as slow and cumbersome as this trailer made it seem to look.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Meh.

Since the game is so close to launch, I wonder if they have fixed the facial dialogue so it looks less like a bad foreign dubbed movie.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:

Well cover might still be important, honestly you didn't cover in ME2 below insanity. First time I played trough ME2 I did so on normal and never used cover and didn't care for power and weapon advantage over armor/shield and such so I though the game combat was super shallow, but then I played again on insanity and discover a huge depth. I'm hoping this is the same thing here.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
The scenery looked gorgeous. Then the game play started.

"Let me show you this awesome flame thrower! Oh, it's useless, okay."

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I'm a bit intrigued by the implication that it looks like we can do cross-classing by virtue of just attributing points into the talent trees.

Don't get me wrong, the chance to play a Vanguard/Engineer hybrid? I'm all over that like white on rice I'm just wondering if it's actually what's happening or if that's a build version of the game that just lets you do shit on the fly for stress testing purposes.

Imre Csete said:
ffronw said:
the game will feature more verticality, as well as destructible objects.
Like the one promised in the gameplay trailer scenes in Dragon Age Inqusition, that were missing from the actual game?
I've been playing that, and some stuff is destructible. Just mainly random assortments of barrels and crates and the occasional wall. Not sure what sort of verticality you were expecting in a medieval fantasy rpg beyond being able to jump onto ledges or climb ladders though.

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I love how he's using a flamethrower against shielded mech enemies.
Thank you. I was feeling like the only person who twitched at that.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
I've been playing that, and some stuff is destructible. Just mainly random assortments of barrels and crates and the occasional wall. Not sure what sort of verticality you were expecting in a medieval fantasy rpg beyond being able to jump onto ledges or climb ladders though.
They showed 15+ minutes gameplay at some Gamescom which featured a lot more than that, saying it will be in the game. It wasn't of course. BioWare tends to overhype stuff, even when they were the darling of the RPG industry.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cether said:
To be fair, the player was taking 0 damage except at one scripted moment.
That is inaccurate.

The health bar has two parts. The player in that trailer was taking fairly constant shield damage.

The "scripted moment" (which as far as I can tell, wasn't scripted) was when their shields dropped and they took a hit to health.