Aliens Found in Elite: Dangerous

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Aliens Found in Elite: Dangerous

More than two years after its release, players have found aliens in Elite: Dangerous.

Xbox user DP Sayre has uploaded an intriguing video - an encounter with alien life, the hostile, insectoid race The Thargoids, in space combat game Elite: Dangerous, confirming the existence of the long-anticipated aliens. You can check it out in the video below.

The encounter appears to be confirmed by developer Frontier Games in a tweet, which links to a clip [http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/DP%20Sayre/video/25338081] of the encounter and reads "A report just coming through that a CMDR has experienced something... strange."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/817135524213297153]

In 2013, Elite: Dangerous executive producer Michael Brookes wrote on the forums [https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/7811-Thargoids-will-be-in-the-initial-release?s=25afed41416c27d732fc46f5f070e140&p=160991&viewfull=1#post160991] "Thargoids are in the initial release, but only as encounters, we'll be doing something far more with them in a future release."

There is currently a thread on Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5m9t09/thargoids_first_contact_videos_theories/] dedicated to compiling contact with the Thargoids, known locations, and discussions about the encounters. We'll keep an eye on this story, and update with any new developments. Like, if any players actually try to antagonize the Thargoids.

[gallery=6757]

In other Elite: Dangerous news, the game will be making its way to PlayStation 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169013-Elite-Dangerous-Rocketing-onto-PlayStation-4-in-Q2-of-2017#&gid=gallery_6664&pid=1] in the second quarter of this year, and will include all of the gameplay players have seen in the PC and Xbox One versions of the game, along with every game expansion that's releases so far, the Elite: Dangerous: Horizons season pass, and PS4-exclusive features, including the ability to use the touchpad controls to navigate the galaxy map, additional hotkey options, and more.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Aliens? Great, now I gotta grab my HOTAS and get online again. Was bored of the space-trucking sim, but aliens, with weird geometrically-themed ships? DAMMIT. ok, patching now.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That. Looked. Awesome! *Throws No man's sky into a passing hippo's open mouth*

Oh hang on, it's not even out yet. Umm, no worries you keep that, Sir Pebblestones-Reaper. I hear it's an effective aphrodisiac.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Aww. I was hoping for a cosmic horror, Lovecraftian style. Giant space squid with monstrous glowing eyes and it speaks directly into your mind and your cockpit fills up with blood and spiders, etc...

Not just some lame Dr. Who space jellyfish.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There was something a little off about the original videos. At the end of the second one, the alien ship moves into position while an NPC in an Anaconda is firing at the player's disabled ship; at the beginning of the third one, the NPC is gone. (You can see the shield impacts from the shooting as blue blobs on the right-hand side of the dashboard.)

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I'm a few thousand light years out from the bubble (headed towards the galaxy's center, and then Colonia, eventually), so I assume I won't encounter them.

...kinda hope I do, though (awesome sound design, in particular). As I mentioned in another thread; this should be a big year in Elite, given such encounters, the rest of the current season, the next season on the Horizons horizon, and then the release on PS4, which will hopefully give the whole community - and the IP itself - another major shot in the arm.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sharpen your Viper's fangs, The Thargoids are coming.

This is big news, the second pan-Galactic Thargoid war is surely about to start, those buggers ain't friendly.

It might finally stop the Fed and Imps from fighting each other, but somehow I doubt it. Nice to hear them 'sing' when the Frma Shift Jump started going wrong, plus they still look suitably alien. Maybe we'll see Thargoid infantry planetside this time.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
There was something a little off about the original videos. At the end of the second one, the alien ship moves into position while an NPC in an Anaconda is firing at the player's disabled ship; at the beginning of the third one, the NPC is gone. (You can see the shield impacts from the shooting as blue blobs on the right-hand side of the dashboard.)
Separate recordings at different times.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
So...the aliens were in the game's code from release but it's only NOW they've been encountered?

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Am I the only one disappointed slightly that Finnegan didn't go into more character with this? You know a bit of roleplaying and treating it like actual news, with the level of awe and mysticism we would treat meeting aliens in real life? No? Just a thought to make it more fun.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
RikuoAmero said:
So...the aliens were in the game's code from release but it's only NOW they've been encountered?
My understanding is that there have been hints of them existing and people have been searching but they only found them now. Apparently the species is incredibly powerful in Elite: Dangerous lore.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RikuoAmero said:
No, this particular instance arrived with the 2.2 update.

There has been alien plant(?) life in the game on planetoid surfaces, there have also been unknown devices floating along in space emitting an indecipherable signal. Taking a few of them back to a major station accidentally released a technological plague into the stations causing them to malfunction and lose services (like re-fuel and re-arm). Other than that the Thargoids have been confined to lore and rumor.

In previous games the Thargoids were THE enemy of Humanity. The Federation and Empire hate each other, but the Thargoids are scary enough for them to put that to one side. Very little has ever been confirmed about them beyond that they're insectoid, they don't negotiate, they don't communicate and if you get yanked out of Witchspace by them you either fire everything at them, or you die.